Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Project Capri. Blue is the colour! Pics added 2/2/18 pg.22.

• Please log in to reply
712 replies to this topic

#691 ONLINE   alf892

alf892

• Full Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationNorthants

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

Walk tall Dan........

Looks lovely. Colour choice is superb.

Enjoy fitting it back up.......best bit of the job I reckon. Takes a long time though as you will find yourself stopping to admire each part you put back
  • danthecapriman likes this

#692 ONLINE   DeeJay

DeeJay

• Full Members
  • 1,506 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:04 AM

That so good the re-fit will take twice as long as planned.

Every part that you thought "that will be alright" will now have to be A1, spot on.

Cue more sanding, spraying, flatting and polishing.

#693 OFFLINE   shumarialto

shumarialto

• Full Members
  • 5,049 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationNear Edinburgh

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:09 AM

That looks spot on. Lovely, well worth the wait.

#694 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 4,801 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:04 PM

Just caught up with this.

Wow.

Between this and watching the Professionals this morning I can see an ebay search afternoon coming on.

Or maybe I should take the inspiration and get on sorting my own cars.
  • danthecapriman, eddyramrod and egg like this
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

#695 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,385 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:25 PM

Thanks everyone! Seems to have gone down rather well!

One thing I will say at this point.
Id just like to say a massive thanks to a person on here who I'll not name as I think they'd prefer to remain anonymous. But you know who you are!
Without whom this whole thing would very likely not have happened and I'd almost definitely of had to get rid of the whole car when things went wrong.
I owe you one big time!

This is another one of those times where people on here have pulled out the stops and helped a shiter in need. And if it wasn't for this place I'd likely never have met them.

Autoshite - great place, great people in it!
  • Skizzer, eddyramrod, fordperv and 13 others like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#696 ONLINE   nigel bickle

nigel bickle

• Full Members
  • 3,682 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Locationnear to Liege

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:53 PM

Bravo! Whoever they are.
Barkas,Datsun 411s, U11sssFiat 850, 1100's,124, 127, Stradas, Croma,Regata,Coupes,Gaz's,Isuzu 117,Bellel,BellettFord Taunus,Transit p/up, Nissan Pintara,Pug J7,505, MussoRenault 4,5,9's,12's,18's,Fuegos,21,25, Safrane, Colorale,Fregate's,Caravelle,Seat Ibiza,Ronda, Simca Aronde, 1100, Standard's (various),<p>Zast 313, Zaz 968's

#697 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,385 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:56 PM

Bravo! Whoever they are.

Indeed!
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#698 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 6,396 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:20 PM

I doff my cap to the anonymous shiter
Sir slidealot, knight of the roundabout

#699 ONLINE   dozeydustman

dozeydustman

• Full Members
  • 238 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationBogbados, baby!

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

Just read this thread from top to bottom over the last hour or so. Your capri looks fantastic. Nice to see another base spec car being saved. I remember seeing a capri shell on a trailer last summer before I joined 'shite. Wonder if it was yours.

Also glad you like the Pass Cafe, it's just round the corner from my depot and a lot of the blokes at work have a lunch there. He's got a second hut where Chichester Halfrauds is as well.

• danthecapriman and eddyramrod like this

Fleet History

1986 Talbot Samba S - 1984 Talbot Horizon - 1974 Simca 1100 - 1987 Pug 205 XS - 1977 Reliant Scimitar - 1976 Reliant Scimitar - 1997 Pug 306 DTurbo - 1999 Skoda Felicia - 1994 VW Golf - 2000 Ford Cougar V6 X -  2003 Ford Focus Ghia 45k - 2005 Saab 9-3 Vector Sportwagon 196k (back on the road)

Dream shite.

Talbot Sunbeam 1.6 with original engine & box - Shove-it with original engine & box - Talbot Samba - Triumph Dolly - Triumph 2000 = Pre-88 Pug 205 - AEC Mammoth Major - Allegro

#700 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,385 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:42 PM

Just read this thread from top to bottom over the last hour or so. Your capri looks fantastic. Nice to see another base spec car being saved. I remember seeing a capri shell on a trailer last summer before I joined 'shite. Wonder if it was yours.

Also glad you like the Pass Cafe, it's just round the corner from my depot and a lot of the blokes at work have a lunch there. He's got a second hut where Chichester Halfrauds is as well.

Thanks!
Last summer was when I moved the car to the new bodyshop. It went on a flatbed trailer behind my dark blue Volvo estate. The new places I've been using are in Lavant and the painter in Bosham so it most likely was mine.

Good to see another local shiter!
  • dozeydustman likes this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#701 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 742 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

That's flipping lovely! Top marks for persevering, well worth the effort 8)

#702 OFFLINE   AdeMk1

AdeMk1

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:02 AM

Looks fantastic, you have to be pleased with that!

#703 ONLINE   Clanger

Clanger

• Full Members
  • 610 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationInside a small, hollow planet, far, far away

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:15 AM

Attention whore...

Just messing around Dan :-D  Looks friggin awesome mate

#704 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,385 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

Attention whore...

Don't be jealous!! It's all about ME!

Once this is wrapped up I'll be hunting down a US market mk1 to go with it...
  • eddyramrod and Clanger like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#705 OFFLINE   TripleRich

TripleRich

• Full Members
  • 179 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationWelding the Granada

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:45 AM

PHOAR, now thats how a Capri should look.  Looking forward to seeing the trim go back on!!

Oh, if you haven't already.....

Dinitrol.JPG

• danthecapriman, fordperv, mercrocker and 1 other like this

#706 ONLINE   dozeydustman

dozeydustman

• Full Members
  • 238 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

Thanks!
Last summer was when I moved the car to the new bodyshop. It went on a flatbed trailer behind my dark blue Volvo estate. The new places I've been using are in Lavant and the painter in Bosham so it most likely was mine.

Good to see another local shiter!

I can't remember what car was towing it, but I think I know the place in Lavant, it's near a place that makes/restores airplane seats of all things! The choice of colour for this car was a hard decision by the looks of the discussion. Even though the basic shape of the capri didn't change over 18 years of production, the Mk2 shape only looks good in a handful of colours (IMO) and you've picked a good'un. Arizona Gold also looks good on this shape, bit like the Mk2 Bodie drove in series 1 of The Professionals.

Only been local to Chi/Bog for the last few years. Moved here from Kent in 2015 after I got engaged to the now Mrs Dustman. My avatar is an official works photo from my old firm when I featured on their website for "A day on the bins" (I should get a new one with a Chichester lorry, but that would imply I enjoy driving Mercs - if their cars are like their trucks, I NEVER want to own one!)

• danthecapriman and eddyramrod like this

Fleet History

1986 Talbot Samba S - 1984 Talbot Horizon - 1974 Simca 1100 - 1987 Pug 205 XS - 1977 Reliant Scimitar - 1976 Reliant Scimitar - 1997 Pug 306 DTurbo - 1999 Skoda Felicia - 1994 VW Golf - 2000 Ford Cougar V6 X -  2003 Ford Focus Ghia 45k - 2005 Saab 9-3 Vector Sportwagon 196k (back on the road)

Dream shite.

Talbot Sunbeam 1.6 with original engine & box - Shove-it with original engine & box - Talbot Samba - Triumph Dolly - Triumph 2000 = Pre-88 Pug 205 - AEC Mammoth Major - Allegro

#707 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,385 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:52 AM

PHOAR, now thats how a Capri should look.  Looking forward to seeing the trim go back on!!

Oh, if you haven't already.....

attachicon.gifDinitrol.JPG

Cheers Rich.

I'll certainly be doing that as one of the first jobs when it comes home. I use Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 cavity wax on mine and will be flooding every cavity, box section, inside panels etc with copious amounts of it. Certain areas I'll use the clear wax to protect things but still show the colour through.
Hopefully the weather will warm up a bit by then though!
  • mat_the_cat likes this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#708 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,385 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:02 AM

I can't remember what car was towing it, but I think I know the place in Lavant, it's near a place that makes/restores airplane seats of all things! The choice of colour for this car was a hard decision by the looks of the discussion. Even though the basic shape of the capri didn't change over 18 years of production, the Mk2 shape only looks good in a handful of colours (IMO) and you've picked a good'un. Arizona Gold also looks good on this shape, bit like the Mk2 Bodie drove in series 1 of The Professionals.

Only been local to Chi/Bog for the last few years. Moved here from Kent in 2015 after I got engaged to the now Mrs Dustman. My avatar is an official works photo from my old firm when I featured on their website for "A day on the bins" (I should get a new one with a Chichester lorry, but that would imply I enjoy driving Mercs - if their cars are like their trucks, I NEVER want to own one!)

That's the place! It's a small unit around the back of that place that does the plane seats. There's half a passenger jet fuselage outside the plane place! I always have a look at it when I go past!
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#709 OFFLINE   eddyramrod

eddyramrod

The Crimson Avenger

• Full Members
  • 12,323 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationIn These Shoes?

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:12 AM

... but that would imply I enjoy driving Mercs - if their cars are like their trucks, I NEVER want to own one!)

They are.

Well... all the Mercedes cars I've driven have been, at best, disappointing.  All the Mercedes trucks I've driven have been horrible.  If you were paranoid, you might think that M-B had spent the last 40 years hypnotising British fleet buyers with that chrome-plated star, with the sole intention of crippling British drivers and the businesses that employ them.  At best, they've been slow, noisy, uncomfortable, unreliable, inadequate, and hostile.  And I'm being kind with that assessment.  The cars just are nowhere near as nice as they should be; bear in mind the sample ranges from w123 200 to 500SEL.  I haven't driven any model built before about 1977 though, so I might have missed the best years.

The Blob: 2007 Chevrolet Tacuma (wheelchair bus)

Giffer: 1995 Rover 820Si

Huggy Bear: 1973 Cadillac Coupe de Ville

Mr ramrod is the nicest person in the world  (Chompy_snake, 2015)

Eddy is the finest fellow you will ever meet,  FACT (Djimbob, 2017)

#710 ONLINE   dozeydustman

dozeydustman

• Full Members
  • 238 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

The cars just are nowhere near as nice as they should be; bear in mind the sample ranges from w123 200 to 500SEL.  I haven't driven any model built before about 1977 though, so I might have missed the best years.

I've been a front and rear passenger in a handful of Mercs. Seats uninspiringly dull and unsupportive, lack of head and legroom for a 6ft 5 gentleman. It wasn't a good start even before I became an HGV driver!

Commercials - lack of power, uncomfortable seat, crap brakes, no option to switch exhaust brake/retarder off when installed, poor turning circle, poor ride.........

I must stop else I'll bugger up Dan's capri thread!

• eddyramrod likes this

Fleet History

Dream shite.

#711 OFFLINE   eddyramrod

eddyramrod

The Crimson Avenger

• Full Members
  • 12,323 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationIn These Shoes?

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

Dan's work van is a Sprinter, so yeah, better stop before he assassinates us!

The Blob: 2007 Chevrolet Tacuma (wheelchair bus)

Giffer: 1995 Rover 820Si

Huggy Bear: 1973 Cadillac Coupe de Ville

Mr ramrod is the nicest person in the world  (Chompy_snake, 2015)

Eddy is the finest fellow you will ever meet,  FACT (Djimbob, 2017)

#712 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,385 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:39 PM

Dan's work van is a Sprinter, so yeah, better stop before he assassinates us!

I'm on Sprinter number 2 now. They're leased company vans so I don't get a great deal of choice other than the layout of rear racking and some odd extras.

The last one was a 60 reg which was the replacement for a 52 reg Transit.
The one I've got now is a 66 reg as the lease was up on the other one, it's exactly the same more or less as the 60 reg but with the new style front end and the Euro 6 Adblue shit.
I don't mind the Sprinters tbh, they look nice (especially compared to the new Transits and Ivecos!) and they're still rear drive which a big van should be. They drive alright but they don't half rock around in wind or going off road, up and down bumps etc which I do a fair bit.
The drivers seat is good, much better than the Transit before which used to mess my back up. They're fairly quick too.
On the other hand, the quality control is pretty poor. On my new one the factory bulkhead squeaks like mad which gets right on your tits sometimes. The trim panel around the B post/seatbelt top mount rattles badly too. Interior trim and materials are cheap and don't last long or wear very well at all.
Although they go fairly well for a big van, when towing they're gutless. The old Transits could tow the same trailers and you'd barely know they were there! The Sprinters get stuck in mud and loose surfaces much easier than the Transits too.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#713 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,385 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:53 PM

Found this while idly browsing.

Sold!
But why don't I have twin folding rear seats or...
  • Skizzer and AdeMk1 like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users