One month later.. and time to do a little catching up..
With tennis-elbow stopping play last month ..I redirected my attention to restoring my Sunbeam S7 motorcycle. But over the past weeks I learnt that hydrochloric-acid cleaning of rust off a panel needs to be done and then painted - in a single schedule of work.
The lesson I learnt here was ; to do the rust treatment / cleaning surface rust off the panel on one dry day, immediately dry it with clean cloth, and then store those panels in a warm dry place (in my lounge) overnight (to dry out any damp in the panel's seams). And the following day, after the sun has warmed the morning air - get on and paint those panels. Otherwise they will rust again (..even in the garage during a spell of dry weather) ..and you have to do it all again !
I had understood that Jenolite (which uses hydrochloric-acid as its main ingredient) was supposed to make the metal inert so as to not rust easily again. Apparently raw hydrochloric-acid doesn't do that. Anyways up..
Having likewise weld-repaired and rebuilt the front RH side inner wing's edge flange, and encasing that in fibreglass, I've now cleaned off their surface rust and painted them inside and out with epoxy primer. And then yesterday with 2-pack polyurethane paint by Hempel. This is the paint I used when hand-repainting the deck of my fibreglass boat, and I'm happy with how it works (painting with it), how it looks when dry, and its durability.
^ epoxy primer undercoat going on. I've decided that I cannot afford the time to get a smooth finish on the inside panels and so I'm going to try and leave a deliberate mottle finish on them ..with a 2" fine hair roller (in corners I use a brush to scrub the paint in).
Time consuming work was also required on the front wings and the headlamp/grille panel ...
^ the outer front RH side wing had clearly been the subject of a fender bender. Most of the dent had been beaten out and then filled over. Still for a 40+ year old car's front wing it really is in solid condition. And in fact someone had done a pretty good job of reshaping the panel .. very much better than a block of wood or chicken wire with bondo over it.
^ filled over and painted.
^ in the process of the paint being chemically stripped, and of course also the filler.
^ sodding filler took three applications of paint stripper even after the paint was off. It had to come off though, as I wanted to try and get a better shape.. And you can't (successfully) panel-beat a panel which has bondo in it.
^ finally ! Here I'm already starting to reduce the high lumps, with hammer and dolly. It'll take a time but it's the best I know how to do.
^ It doesn't look that different I know (..not least because I've deliberately taken the photo to show the surface !) but I've reduced the dents from 1/4" or more to less than half that.
^ no filler, just a coat of epoxy primer.
^ coarse rub down with 240 grit.
Next.. required a bit of work with the welder, as the return flanges of this front wing were cracked in two places and buckled in others (so back to hammer and dolly). Likewise the car's front (grille) panel.
^ work in progress
^ This was dented / buckled straight in perhaps 1/2" but very locally. The grille was undamaged so either it's been replaced or we were lucky. Above I've straightening it perhaps half way.. another 1/4" to go I'd guess.
There were so many dents, cracks, bend and otherwise buckled edges, that I can't show even a small percentage of them, but each have / are being addressed with welded repair and hammer n' dolly as required.. Until . . .
^ shaped without any filler (..yet)
And of course, the insides of both front wings and the inner panels have now been painted in the 2-pack polyurethane . . .
So not a great deal of progress for a whole month, but then as I say I have been doing other things too.
Hope that is of interest,