Moogs Motahs - sinking the seat

The Moog

Finally back. Was a tale of road closures including brackley bypass closed by police for some reason.

Final score on doors

51743819fcdc7ed7170ac33337b098f2.jpga490b581d06601ed747b345b4f7eb7bf.jpg4fb5fdd201a9dfc85ac629b30d5a4cf0.jpg033e8fc602c52920cf423d41fbe09cde.jpg95246c52df333522d138f101d7251afb.jpg

Only at the end did this little bad boy pop up

96693649e7331272cb847643b2cd57b8.jpg

Overall it is just a wafty barge.

Pretty silent at speed.

70 is the sweet spot with engine doing about 2600 rpm.

Once I had worked out cruise control it became even easier.

The mirrors seemed a little small on it and the drivers seat is one you sit on rather than in.

Many many knobs to push and pull.

Saying all that I did Newcastle to London in pretty much one stint with just a quick fuel stop.

Cruising along at night in a big engined barge on almost empty motorway is very much a pleasure. I so enjoy it.

Things that may need doing

It needs new front wipers as the blades have shredded (will get a set tomorrow)

The front end can be a bit wandery - probably a bush or two.

Steering wheel isn't on straight.

Gearbox needs looking at

Abs light is on

A lovely old thing though, I think the new owner is going to be chuffed with it.

Great to see you arrived home without too many problems, lets hope any issues are easily remedied! If you need help with anything, let me know! There's still this guy at an Alpine garage in London who's breaking one of these! About the steering wheel: I'm pretty sure the steering wheel is sitting where it should be, Scaryoldcortina suggested that someone might have done the tierods on it previously and did the alignment without setting the steering wheel straight first, hence the odd offset.

Only other two I have heard are the gearbox warning voice and the fact I have left the lights on leaving.

Bonus facts -

passenger mirror drops down when you stick it in reverse

It has a quickclear windscreen

The outside temperature was apparently 34 degree yesterday

And the passenger side vents blow hot air and the driver's side blow cold.

100% expert Shitley deliverance

Many thanks :-)

Some local Albanian fellas have now cleaned it top to toe. And it still runs! Took family to a foodie festival. Young daughter laughed at the dramatic dash board panic voiceovers

Wife hates it.

Our house value has been affected.

Resultage.

So golf was undriveable.

Luckily got breakdown through nationwide flex plus.

Not only were they great at sorting things out, I have got a hire car to get back up north and the car will be delivered up here Tuesday I think.

For the money I pay on the account I can't recommend them highly enough as includes travel insurance etc.

Currently driving an 18 plate fiesta with lane assistance, speed limiter, sat nav with massive screen etc.

Mpgs are 55 so far which is better than my hdi 406.

So quiet on the road as well. Things certainly have moved on.

100% expert Shitley deliverance

Many thanks :-)

Some local Albanian fellas have now cleaned it top to toe. And it still runs! Took family to a foodie festival. Young daughter laughed at the dramatic dash board panic voiceovers

Wife hates it.

Our house value has been affected.

Resultage.

We need to see pictures! And let me know if you need any help with the car, I'll gladly point you in the right directions if needed.

Only other two I have heard are the gearbox warning voice and the fact I have left the lights on leaving.

Bonus facts -

passenger mirror drops down when you stick it in reverse

It has a quickclear windscreen

The outside temperature was apparently 34 degree yesterday

And the passenger side vents blow hot air and the driver's side blow cold.

Gearbox warning light will be most likely on due to transmission overheat because of oil well past its best.

Filter was shagged on my AD8 box safrane 2.5dt when i had it mostly due to the fact the oil had never been done (sealed for life and all that bollox). Oil came out like treacle and smelt awful.

Got my gearbox filter from JPAT just outside of bristol http://jpat.co.uk/index.html

They were brilliant and filter was about half the price of Renault main stealer.

Sun is out and car mojo back a bit.

3d0fc41440baa7175825b3b07ad4a2c1.jpg

The mx5 has been a bit neglected whilst been running around with other cars. Today I thought I would remove the charcoal cannister.

Here is the bigger

4a68039f588f4809dfb9f181e1158231.jpg

Hoses off

af1bbb1261a7df07fb303ddaea476811.jpg

Take off feed to inlet

e09e4e4f9fe733012c32368a934ae5fa.jpg

Unplug the connector

625ae173b9f2b06be64a89615104e8ca.jpg

And pouff one cannister gone

02a42dad8d3a9a833d2d43db3d18a813.jpg

Linked the two pipes together with silicon hose I had in the garage

6e533bfbc6d36ccdc847e5cba1153b6c.jpg

Joined the throttle body feed

488cb069d1705ef71180d33cd3822790.jpg

What was taken off

9ac72c11bd6f78a5a39e3371b670b29b.jpg

Battery was flat so took it off to quick charge. Once it had juice I took the car for a blast. The brakes had stuck on and the interior was a bit moist, but still it was glorious.

There was a little rattler underneath the car which I ignored. This turned out to be a bad idea as the rattle become a pop (under acceleration) before sounding like the exhaust had fallen off!

Limped back home and found this

e73f27eaaaa3c9146e58ff95c229a2a9.jpg

The oxygen sensor which had been screwed in had worked itself loose and made a bid for freedom!

Blanking plug ordered to fix that.

Also took out the stereo as it may be causing the drain.

Things left to do

Roll bar

Tyres

Refresh cooling system including water pump and changing thermostat housing

New/secondhand hood/hardtop

Timing mod

Rear bushes

Drive it!

Good tinkerage as ever! So if I one day became determined to have a MX-5, what is the likelihood of finding one that isn’t OMGRUST for not massive monies? At the moment the MGFs must be the cheapest of the cheap top down wind in your hair for a few hundred quid but the MX-5 is just a better car and not mechanically fragile. I’m guessing mechanically there isn’t much to go wrong at any rate on these. Somewhere I read that the engine is non-interference to boot?

This one was only £300 so there are bargains around.  I didnt get on with MGF as you know.  

The engine is non interference, parts are pretty cheap and easily available.

Decent set of tyres and an alignment and it makes all the difference. Want more power - stick a turbo or supercharger on it for not much cash and turn it up to 240 bhp in a lightweight car. 

Golf is in and gone out again to another Shiter.

Just done another deal on a car so will be collecting a piece of continental gorgeousness this evening.

Also ordered a head set for the Rover 820 to get that fixed and gone.

I am aiming for my perfect 3 car garage - I may have almost achieved that. With total car purchase prices at £850.

Behold the newest member of the fleet

040500d86ec4cb31cecf30f5ab7188c9.jpg1151c5f5c096312df23a382cc00dd789.jpg

The power plant of desire0ca958535bad3dc062805250c5566fca.jpg

I think the rough running was down to veg.

fc3812ef6a2e2a9e0a4995bc89f86754.jpg

Not standard filter

Bits to do

Horn doesn't work

Indicators don't work

Heater is intermittent

Headlights are poor and yellow and loose

Steering wheel is slightly melted.

Probably needs shocks and a stereo fitting and then enjoy!

Couple of points here

The horn worked, broke, was fixed (don't remember how) then broke again. Ended up pulling it out to test the wires and such and IIRC the wiring was reading weird. Never ended up putting it back in, should be on/in the glovebox. The stalk works 100% though, tested that. The indicators are similar, they worked at first and then broke and then replacing the fuse fixed them. Wasn't aware they'd broken again though. From what I remember the headlights also weren't quite getting enough power, and the yellow caps just made them even worse.

HOWEVER

It does have a bangin set of speakers for ur choons, it's got some ancient aftermarket Sony's in the front and I think someone's wired the original fronts into the rear. Doesn't actually sound that bad, I promise! All the best with this though, hope you can do more with it than I did.

That's a great update thanks Microwave. Just read your post - hadn't realised that you had done so much with it. Louie was a really nice chap and his Austin looks a great car.

I may just fit a separate horn button as an option.

The headlights will need the relay mod and delete yellow caps as not a fan. That should make it brighter.

Stereo is coming courtesy of NJGleeds.

Quick Google show that indicators is likely the hazard switch - these degrade and take out the indicators. Clean up the contacts normally fixes it.