Moogs Motahs - sinking the seat

The Moog

Well purchased. Also, this from someone who is wussing out about driving his old car, man up and put a thicker coat on! I used to commute daily on dual carriageway in sub zero temps (lowest record I had was -10c) at NSL speeds with the roof down. Those crisp frozen days are the best.

The engines also respond well to a good caning. Mine needed oil changes every 3k, otherwise the hydraulic tappets would start tapping when cold. Was a good indicator to let me know when the oil needed changing. Probably didn't help the tappets with 140k odd on the clock.

I miss my MX5s and sometimes wonder if I really should have got another over an MGB. Don't let twosmoke know I said that though!

4cfc6d5edaf9e0987850c88c2d1a0d44.jpg

Looking resplendent in the works car park

Current thoughts

1) couldn't use it as a daily driver - it would be too much hard work/got too soft in old age.

2) when lifting on throttle it is pulling to left - will check tyre pressures to see if it is something simple

3) government ministers shouldn't be wafted about in softly spring jags. They should be driven in lowered sports cars. That way the potholes would get fixed a lot quicker

When you get bored with this please give me a shout. Thanks! I really need to scratch my MX5 itch that's been ongoing for the last five years.

This is my favourite, a simple 320mm wheel but nice and chunky, it's been on my last four mx5s and done so many laps of Knockhill I've lost count. I think I paid around £30 for it off eBay and another £10 for a boss kit. Makes a massive difference to the drive, you are welcome to have a go on mine next month if you like.

attachicon.gifIMG_1805.JPG

As for superchargers, i say enjoy what you have for now, it's only 115hp but you can embarrass plenty of 'quicker' cars when you use it well.

Steering wheel looks just the same as mine that suits the car very well.

post-4787-0-74134700-1517617778_thumb.jpg

It's not the coldness that would stop me using it but state of the roads. Seriously round here they are awful and spine jarring.

Now got it on classic insurance limited to 3000 miles so need to be a bit careful as knockhill and back is almost 500.

Cheers for tip GM & Barefoot. Have lobbed a bid on cheap eBay wheel so see where I will get to.

I much prefer the stock MOMO wheel. It also does a surprise trick.

Stock wheel usually looks like this:

IMG_4280.jpg

However that centre pad is removable. Remove it, you're greeted with this:

FullSizeRender1.jpg

They left the factory like that. Then later they spoilt it by putting an enormous wheel with an airbag in.

An original steering wheel in an MX5! it must be the only one left!

The first job I had to do when I bought my Jag was to hurl the aftermarket steering wheel into 2-doors-down's garden and reinstate the supirior in all aspects original wheel, thankfully, included with the car.

People who fit aftermarket steering wheels need to have them inserted swiftly into their anal cavity, where they belong.

""The electric sound synthesiser developed by Moog helped revolutionise music in the 1960s, and was used by bands such as the Beatles and the Doors to create iconic songs. The synthesiser can still be heard today with artists such as The Cure and FatBoy Slim replicating his sound.

This unique event, organised in collaboration with the Moog Soundlab Autoshite UK and Moog Music Autoshite Inc. (USA), will feature live performances by  a number of acclaimed performers    Bucketeer   ""  ............

https://www.surrey.ac.uk/mediacentre/press/2018/university-surrey-holding-unique-event-celebrating-life-dr-robert-moog

Edited in collaboration with Weatherspoons

a Momo race is more or less the same steering wheel as should be fitted to a mx5

you need to move the front number plate: a] it looks gash down there; b] it must be knocking eleventy mph/mpg off due to drag!

Where else to put the numberplate ? i thought they were there as standard? 

One of the little annoying things about mx5 was driver's door armrest.

Being a portly gent (think felixstowe) it was where my leg wanted to be.

A little bit drunk online ended up with a mysterious package arriving the other day. Opened it to reveal alternative leather door pulls.

It's like drunk me bough presents for sober me.

Three screws and armrest off, two back in and the strap is ready to go. Makes a massive difference to space.

f519756ba817e2ad104e868410dd8f4a.jpg

You can see it compared to passenger side.

1fd5947cad8b282a51b74468c27c7f34.jpg

I also ordered diff bushes whilst under the influence along with a new steering wheel boss. This drinking lark can get expensive quickly.

The car is quite twitchy as when lifting off throttle it dives to the left.

So if I hit a few bins on the way round at the weekend it isn't my fault #gettingexcusesinearly #atleastnotanauto #autotestingfails

This is true, have a sit in the passenger seat and see what a difference there is.

Tell drunk moog to keep an eye out for a little gadget called the cg-lock, it fastens onto the seatbelt clip and locks the seatbelt tight, a budget alternative to fitting a harness. Works well combined with the foamectomied seat.

Good work with the slimline door handles, I did the same but with guitar amp / speaker handles in mine, I couldn't get the doors to shut with the buckets fitted.

post-4462-0-87783500-1518553877_thumb.jpg

Can I just reccommend PH Sportscars, 944 & MX5 breakers just a couple of miles away from me.

The internet sometimes says they are crap, but I don't have a bad word to say about them.

(He keeps lending me MX5's as courtesy cars!).

01332 799298 Paul or Mike.

A quick update on this;

Went looking for Porsche bits the other day and there are barely any left, but I have never seen so many MX-5's in various states of repair.

The company name has changed to PM Sportscars and the telephone number to 01332 854760. It's really just Mike now.

The place next door, a bloke called Mark, breaks Corrado's & next door but one plays with Subaru's.