Moogs Motahs - sinking the seat

The Moog

Cheers Bub 

Wandered down to post office in lunch hour with V62 to get a new V5 and computer said no. I need to either have the postcode of the last registered owner or alternatively post off a cheque to the DVLA.  I dont have one of thos old fashioned things. 

thinking about it, I should have got a postal order! I heart the 21st century. 

• 2 weeks later...

It heard you thinking about tuning it. This was a pre-emptive warning light.

(Fyi the 2.1td in my XM has had the boost turned up and an aftermarket boost controller fitted by the PO). Which to me means there's some extra distinctly diy-looking wires and Maplins' finest 12V DC changeover relay mounted in a very prominent position under the bonnet and an awareness to 'don't push it to the nth degree or you might burst something'. Given long enough, that might become a problem - when I last had it on the road, I was finding the boost at motorway speeds to be properly addictive - jumping on the loud pedal at 60, feeling the surge and watching something illegal come up on the speedo was something I didn't tire of.)

406 stop light has flickered a few times today.

Checked oil, brake and coolant and all levels are fine.

Any ideas what it could be?

Clutching at straws a bit, but it's not the brake fluid needing changing is it?

Decided to be a bit creative and build my own cheapskate racking using £3 bq crates.

Worked quite well 0342bdb47f2ddf18549b948f92a888b8.jpg

And of course in this weather there is only one car to take to do your messages

73aabe00055ccb20abf925f5e5c64a2c.jpg

NJGLeeds has kindly given me a cabin brace for the mx5 so that will be the next thing to be fitted

a cabin brace is a good mod, when I took mine off, before I fitted the roll bar, I could feel a difference in the car.

I'm not sure if avo has the tapped holes for fitting as she's an early model, you may have to drill your own holes and bolt it in from under the seatbelt reels. the plastic side trim will likely need a bit of fettling too.

what suspension is on her at the moment, I can't remember if it is stock mazda or something more interesting ?

Coilovers on it :-) I think you have done most things to it already (aside from a supercharger).

Already tapped as well. Neil said just need to take some trim off to bolt it in. Will lose the wind deflector as won't work with it.

Coilovers on it

I don't remember them, must have been what was on the black one when I bought it. I appear to have several sets of suspension stashed in the garage, time for a clear out, methinks. It is sitting nice and low in that photo up above :)

Sun was out so time to fit cabin brace to mx5.

Deflector off - just a couple of bolts.

d9b5a0131691a0594b331ab612a58c1c.jpg

822501a330fc002ccdc31ae4dd47ce96.jpg

e9cc6ad59b2a093d9cfb2a3d04c283b4.jpg

Seatbelt mounts offb3a71fe7e00bdee1f6fe0eb8291717ef.jpgaea7d5e68b4ee50e8aec9c31e756ff77.jpg

Then seatbelts out

6c4f1bd300cc77aafc83e2234844f00c.jpg

Was a bit fiddly now as had to get a nut up inside the box section to fit the brace. Used the grease on the bolt to hold the washer in place then a deep socket to push it up inside the box section.

Brilliant. a99a9d9f7ebfb2ff4e510d7fa9d1a401.jpg

Fucksticks

I had tightened it up and now it didn't move for the other side. Took it apart and loosened it off.

Also took door trim to get better access

cdc831f5481b14cfab3c3db2da4de01f.jpg

More fiddling and both sides slotted in

8cb471b4984c7a5de7a8ac202e128d46.jpg

Seatbelts reattached

e3814fcdb490e9791bcb3ade9b17f549.jpg

d64f2ccb932c270a24a4c47003555cc1.jpg

Bouyed with sucess I fitted the new fuel filter to 406. LP recommend this as a good fit

db259d2178555134cf7f934cfa29bc0b.jpg

Stupid question time

Is this the EGR valve?

2dc940ae84d2c94dbd861f72275299f2.jpg

Glow plugs and leak off pipes came today. I took advantage of the lighter evenings to set to work

Got my current favourite tools to hand (half a Halfords kit and B Q 3/8 socket set with bits.)

5b2440ce8bdd2f60be30dd776789e6e1.jpg

Bits disconnected

ed115920dd10e7794cf62847fe602e6f.jpg

The bub egr blockage package in situ

16b6a566ba831815c1be0b3f7de538b1.jpg

Access to glow plugs and leak off pipes wasn't too bad at all

ec08ca2576b678b2459416929838c1d4.jpg

Glow plugs were a bit stiff and quite black. New one on right

8dc7ef37f7e845054b1ebca9ec858b93.jpg

Pipes replaced

5622e7abd16f21f5e2f572bb8cdf6d7f.jpg

All back together and running ok.

I think I have discovered the reason for the shit idle - found a post on french car forum about rebuilding the Lucas EPIC pump. Apparently it has four seals at the top of the pump that go and give it a rubbish hot idle.

Looks quite involved and not something I particularly want to tackle in case I mega screw it up. The pumps aren't that plentiful so could be an expensive mistake.

The car itself is different to other XUDs as feels a bit gutless without the turbo.

I dont think a Bosch drops in as the throttle is electronic etc. Was still smokey this morning so I think is definitely seals in the pump rather than anything else.

Found a local Diesel place and this was the warning on their website 

Words of caution:

Our experience has shown that certain types of injection pump CANNOT BE SUCCESSFULLY reconditioned, these pump types currently stand as being:

Bosch VP44 PSG16 (has part number starting as: 04705042--, & has 2 electrical plugs on it's top)
Lucas/Delphi EPIC (fitted to 2.1 Peugeot, 1.9d Fiat & 2.5di Transit)

Despite a number of firms offering to recon these types of injection pump we strongly advise staying clear, the potential for headaches, stress, an empty wallet & court case is very high.

Diesel Bob (UK) Ltd will only supply brand new replacements or offer a mechanical conversion pump where possible for the above mentioned pump types.

Will just live with it as a cheap car - would be quite easy to drop a load of money on it and then it end up going bang .  Ultimately if I do want to hold on to it then maybe a change might be worth it. 

All this pump talk has upset the apple cart.

Coming home tonight off motorway and onto slip road slowing down - engine light on and cuts out.

Slap the bad boy into second and try to let clutch out to get a rolling start - no beans Mr Heinz.

Can't get it to restart even when using judicious use of both southern and northern sweary words.

Finally get it going but engine idle is bouncing between 600 and 1000.

Chug to Lidl to have a peek in the light.

https://youtu.be/Q-rzTJ-u230

No air bubbles, no lose hoses, nothing obvious.

Looks like pump is be jiggered.

As it stands it needs welding on sill, new battery, new shocks all round. - probably not worth fixing.

Come at the wrong time as cash flow is static.

Dislike for more French chod going tits-up.

I was kinda wondering what the hell was going down - my sLag, Wilson2's Zaffy, Moog's Pug all fallen over in a matter of days...

And then I noticed...

post-17915-0-70680900-1523437504_thumb.jpg

Never mind the Ides of March, it's the Gammas of April you want to be watching out for.