Moogs Motahs - sinking the seat

The Moog

Today got the opportunity to fettle the puma.

On the list were new dampers all round and a lower strut brace.

NJGLEEDS was kind enough to offer me his garage to use and mostly do the work for me.

87324c2f596cb56db8104f9e78860ef3.jpg

One old strut

71f54a0befac8dcec97c5368cda4ed99.jpg

Bolts undone and strut off. Neil uses a vice and then his air rachet to compress the spring. Makes light work of it.

32defdb122eede693666c0d2e2b53e8e.jpg7b2ab24578b08ec6ba126c697360d80e.jpg

Old Vs new

e7855885f9a6395f1e00ca0c954dc835.jpg

Putting back together was a bit of a faff. The strut didn't want to line up with the hub. Many hammer blows plus wiggling and Neil got it back in.

8e8e25c494e14105d8673f2b3beb8b4f.jpg

Lower strut brace fitted. It should help with turn in.

cfa22710028f35e2ba66a7a7c86c36f1.jpg

It touches the gearbox slightly which means it has increased the vibration at idle.

3c8ec39ca7bf32802274764ea73dbd1f.jpg8958284f14286080b6b63a77071ec691.jpg

Rear suspension was dealt with swiftly

76611a43c505030f923515897e9a5579.jpg

So next on list is to fix the gearbox touching the strut brace. Either new engine mounts or just a some rubber between the two

Turning into a good little track weapon.

Hopefully it will do as well on the Autotest. Was thinking of lowering it but I think that is a step too far especially with potholes round here. Not sure what difference overall it would make 

You can probably grind a bit off the gearbox for clearance.

Yes that has been suggested by some of the Scoto Shiters. 

Good to see this getting some new parts.  Is it a known-brand suspension kit, or standard replacements?

It is standard replacements - Sachs Dampers, whole lot was about £90 as I got them cheap from Amazon. Didn't want to mess about with the suspension too much as insurance might be an issue and the fact I have to drive to Knockhill to use the car means I need to do 3 hours comfortably in it whilst still keeping my spine.

I have one of those red things on the bottom of the Scirocco.

It turned it from being a horrible, understeering, plowy straight onney thing, to a motor car of much cornering precision.

There's not much can keep up with its 75 eager horses through a series of bends.

Makes a huge difference to the handling. so much sharper and handles miles better. Still no MX5 mind. 

Left on the Puma list to do 

Fix rusty arches 

Move the rear view mirror - Currently it takes up a massive amount of the windscreen 

Stop strut rubbing

Maybe look at finding the oil leak from somewhere (or maybe not) 

• 2 weeks later...

Puma left it's mark on the road outside the Moog in laws house today.

ed8dfbae2b77d1413ce3648122335412.jpg

Seeing as it is supposed to be going round Knockhill tomorrow I thought I had better give it a poke.

Looks like the rocker gasket is leaking (again)

1054c5bf2cc651e95b6d1e4c155ecfd3.jpg

Nothing I can do about it today. Will have to ignore it until next week.

An ode to a Puma

It dawned on me yesterday, what a decent car the Puma is.

Last Sunday it was being chucked round a part gravel autotest course with random abandon.

During the week it shuttled me to work and back, did some trips to the tip and buying material from the DIY store.

Then Friday morning it hustled me up to Scotland, eating up the motorway as the sun rose over the hills. Pushed into service as a tip run/builders van the car performed faultlessly.

Saturday afternoon it spent best part of 4 hours being chucked round Knockhill. The warm down lap consisted of a 250 mile drive back to Accrington.

Sure it needs a new rocker gasket, some engine mounts, then perhaps lowering springs and bucket seats. And a 6th gear for motorway crusing would be great.

But what other car can do the same for so little money. Total the car owes me is £600 and has 11 months MOT.

I should remember this all when I covet other cars. 1bfde89eefd2bd8430ee0d2affe5a970.jpg

I wish you'd dislike the Puma a bit more so that you get bored of it and sell it to me sooner.

Who said I wasn't bored of it!

There is an Almera GTi track car for sale round the corner. If the puma went then I would be round there waving notes in their face.