Moogs Motahs - sinking the seat

The Moog

Had a 3am thought that maybe I am an idiot (no maybe about it) and that changing the glow plugs I might have left one loose hence chug-a-lug.

So late tonight with aid of head torch had a check and .......

Nope. All done up tight.

Nothing loose or any hoses not connected. From cold it is fine, once hot it is surges from 600 - 1000.

On FCF there is a rebuild guide for the epic pump which frankly scares the shit out of me.

Apparently you can just change 4 seals with pump in situ which might manageable.

Alternatively it is change to Bosch pump but that is a bit of an arse.

For £500 I can get c5 hdi with mot. Hmmmm

Well hoping I can swap wheels over and see if there are any other bits that will swap then frag the first one - or offer it on here if anyone fancies it. 

The pump rebuild on FCF looked very scary and probably not worth it on the roffle pug.  Swap to Bosch is a bit involved as elctronicals are part of EPIC pump. 

Hood down Mx5 on the drive to work today, with Roni Size blasting out so da kidz know I am cool, I am definitely not a fat 40 year old man in a smoll red car having a midlife crisis. 

issue with MX5 is that it has started idling badly. Coming to stop at traffic lights the idle drops to about 200 and then fluctates from 1200 - 200 and back again. 

Dont finish work till 9 30pm tonight so hoping that it is something simple that I can fix tomorrow morning before wandering over to closer to Blyton Park .

give the throttle body a blast of carb cleaner and check the base idle is set at around 850rpm. open the diagnostic box, identify TEN (test engine) and GND, bridge the two with a paperclip and tweak the idle adjust screw. ideally, you want the idle not to change when you remove the paperclip. if you have a timing light, check for about 14degrees before tdc. and then take it out for a thrashing :)

Hood down Mx5 on the drive to work today, with Roni Size blasting out so da kidz know I am cool, I am definitely not a fat 40 year old man in a smoll red car having a midlife crisis. 

I was walking through town at lunch and some chap had his music on really loud. It was Madonna's Holiday. I was waiting for it to be some sort of remix with some rapper over the top of it but no, he was proper booming out the original Holiday like it was 1983.

I'm not in any strong position to talk blasting out my 'Dad techno' whilst driving my granddad car but it did stand out a bit amongst all the other cars causing the sunny weather noise pollution.

give the throttle body a blast of carb cleaner and check the base idle is set at around 850rpm. open the diagnostic box, identify TEN (test engine) and GND, bridge the two with a paperclip and tweak the idle adjust screw. ideally, you want the idle not to change when you remove the paperclip. if you have a timing light, check for about 14degrees before tdc. and then take it out for a thrashing :)

The wire for bridging it is also present in the diagnostic box.

One can of carb cleaner later and no different. Loads of gunk came out.

It is just when revved and then returning to idle seems to be issue. Sprayed all-round with cleaner and idle didn't change.

Will look at resetting idle tomorrow if get a chance - otherwise I will just live with it until later.

Not sure how I ever survived with hose clamp plierspost-3994-15241680514101.jpg

Took the wee beastie out for a run this morning and idle is back to normal. So I will call that a result.

Only thing I did notice was fumes from exhaust manifold - perhaps a gasket is needed (or wait till drunk Will buys a whole new exhaust for sober Will). I just closed the bonnet.

Tyre pressures checked - toolkit assembled and off to Doncaster way ready for track tomorrow.

Well hoping I can swap wheels over and see if there are any other bits that will swap then frag the first one - or offer it on here if anyone fancies it.

The pump rebuild on FCF looked very scary and probably not worth it on the roffle pug. Swap to Bosch is a bit involved as elctronicals are part of EPIC pump.

When the lads on the veg oil diesel forum were doing it they used a late Xantia/406 1.9 TD Bosch pump and its primitive ECU. Think it's plug and play.

One can of carb cleaner later and no different. Loads of gunk came out.

It is just when revved and then returning to idle seems to be issue. Sprayed all-round with cleaner and idle didn't change.

Will look at resetting idle tomorrow if get a chance - otherwise I will just live with it until later.

Not sure how I ever survived with hose clamp pliersattachicon.gifIMG_20180419_203626.jpg

In your pic above, what is attached to the vacuum take offs in the top right corner ? They should be looped / blocked, if you have a leak it would bugger up the idle.

Here's Brown Bear looking for vacuum leaks - is the looped clear tube still there ?

post-4462-0-00025700-1524263209_thumb.jpg

Pug 406 got bids raised to over mine and now has been retracted. I assume this is to find my maximum.

Can I lower my max bid in anyway? Still want the car but don't want someone bidding up to my max to Schill me

Journey home from the track was interesting.

First half was glorious weather, top down, headphones in - enjoying the wind in the hair feeling. Don't stop me now!

On way back the black clouds loomed and started to rain. Hurriedly I pulled over to put hood up - I was decidedly feeling smug having beaten the rain - the show must go on.

On the motorway when suddenly the car turned into a snarling monster. Did all the usual test - did the handling change, did it disappear when clutch push in, did a different gear effect it, does it change with revs etc. It sounds like hammer was to fall.

Limped off the motorway and into a business park. Hoping I wasn't going radio gaga

Sounds fruity

https://youtu.be/TN0f0p1Xeok

dfb6a8d44088c28e88609be3906ac8e7.jpg

Quick look underneath - ahh. The exhaust Wants to break free...

ce54efdb32aa1ff12b0259026d99d5db.jpg

A root through the car and it was a kind of magic - the solution.

9b54909d244f9cae7ea9281bb23a6c1a.jpg

Hackage began - we want the car to live forever

c3381b70d872f89ae32352354918772d.jpge3dcd441f8fa8bb3c5d013ac8e87b8bf.jpg

Also found this is the box of tricks - surely the princes of the universe were smiling 454f62c26eff1dd4964500560f70d3a6.jpg

Up in air

89d52a49dba07f232439a7d05db1ae60.jpg

Mashed into putty and stuffed to hold exhaust then tin cable ties on top (only thing I had and thought gaffer tape might catch fire) - these definitely were the days of my life.

64ee9d3c66c3ae1d4f3fb48fcdc9aa49.jpg

Extra exhaust hanger fashioned to help take weight.

332448273f1dc36bc734dcaab36790f8.jpg

Just check how long the drying time is

2e8370bd0c6656cbb3697e132dd65c93.jpg

8 hours!

Of course doing the calculations and then seeing as they would factor in a safety element, I reckoned that by the time I had finished my steak pie it would definitely* be cured. That would be a breakthru

12875b6b0e70ba9eeff14f987f574aff.jpgb9e44a1ed562c66b59456fac2ff298cf.jpg

Our finished - time to start the car

https://youtu.be/SROKEgM2LHo

That sounds fixerated. We are indeed the champions

Btw that rain I avoided earlier - I had now been drenched from head to foot. Smugness gone.

Just in case the bodge didn't hold extra measure taken - headphones in and helmet on. 2eb8048cb84d958e03ec79adadf0f79a.jpg

It held for a full five minutes before back to what it was. I don't think pie curing time is correct.

The last 20 mins sounded like this

https://youtu.be/QE1sqpCNkgs

and the vibrations definitely kept me under pressure.

Mx5 now needs a new exhaust. Tempted to go decat.

I think the idle shenanigans was the air leak on the O2 sensor.

VID_20180422_120430.mp4

VID_20180422_112320.mp4

VID_20180422_113156.mp4

on your way back from a trackday with strict noise limits - you are indeed a lucky bugger !

now, if only you had a welder, you could* fix* that :)

have a look on moss.co.uk for exhaust options, cobalt systems are pretty good and reasonably priced. a decat is a good option, I ran with one for several years, but keep the cat incase you need to reduce noise levels for trackdays (knockhill aren't too fussy but others are)

you might get away with having a flexi welded in there and save the expense of the manifold ? worth asking around perhaps

Having a Google it is a different exhaust as is a 421 and downpipe in one. I assume you have changed it?

I can get stainless replacement from eBay for about £130

Then just leave cat and rest of exhaust alone for now.

Having a Google it is a different exhaust as is a 421 and downpipe in one. I assume you have changed it?

I can get stainless replacement from eBay for about £130

Then just leave cat and rest of exhaust alone for now.

Correct, you currently have a fancy-dan jdmyo jasma 4-2-1 manifold / downpipe which replaced the standard 4-1 manifold and separate downpipe, an eBay replacement should be just the job or second hand standard bits should be cheap enough.