Moogs Motahs - sinking the seat

The Moog

Stereo fixed but not after many swears. It looks like one of the wires popped out the iso socket, when I pulled out the stereo it blew a fuse.

Took a fair while to find it as it was in the fusebox under the fusebox.

Still all back working now.

As seen elsewhere I am now the proud owner of another mx5 bought from a shiter on here.

dbbf48fb699baf923cb5ebc8ba8a8449.jpg

Njgleeds kindly offered the use of his ramp this afternoon to see what the plan was.

AVO current mx5 is a bit crispy although got lsd, lowered suspension,421 exhaust with decat, proper alignment and rainsports. Goes round a track really nicely.

It was time to see how BAL fared

Up on lift

99287eb8c25e0b310a7c0ea944b591a6.jpg

Ohh leak

74c3f2732f83dbca0cc0705b451a4e60.jpg

Look how solid

47e4398d9884d8395c128100361280d4.jpga297574fac86d79478db1ab7dc42e4d2.jpg2e6762263e5a40e1939f7f41ada19091.jpge809439d589808cd9f25f0122306d8f4.jpg7297077ac3dd981c4bd1346140523a6d.jpg4d0d791461e3a7f8309e2ebec4883f67.jpgc84247fd27a7766d6a9a078bd057e924.jpg

Overall a smashing car. 49571e03ed0b4e7cb8a42b7388bda70d.jpg

I drove BAL home and it is a softer cars overall, which is a little nicer on the road but much less focused. Gearbox is a joy and miles better than AVO even though done 40k more.

BAL has got a misfire and isn't as fast as AVO, it doesn't rev as cleanly although that can be down to exhaust plus cat.

So next step is to strip the fun bits off AVO and fit to this one.

Coming off AVO:

Hood

LSD

Calipers x4

Radiator plus related coolant hoses and pipes

Alternator

HT leads

Clutch and assorted bits

Boot lid

Rear bumper

Seats

421 header

Decat exhaust

Wiper arms

Pas cooler

Probably take engine out as a spare in case of bits

Wheels and tyres

Coilovers (if they can be saved)

Battery and clamps

Wing mirrors

Electric windows motors

Door cards

What is left of the shell will be weighed in. If anyone wants bits then let me know.

Then it is a case of making one awesome car.

I am planning on making this a forever car including a roll cage.

Today the Jag left for its new home piloted by the ever reliable Shiters Delivery Driver of choice - Bucketeer.

Hoping the new owner will like it. Aside from driving it home and a couple of times since, it has been parked up my front. After collecting the new* mx5 on Friday night I needed to get cars down.

As seen elsewhere current Eunos AVO took the Autotest prize on its outing on Sunday. It has left at least one shiter hunting for an LSD and manual box.

Based on the performance yesterday I thought I would see whether AVO can live on. It is booked in for an MOT on Monday to see what it is like.

Mechanically it drives spot on and the only thing I currently think may be an issue is handbrake effectiveness. Will try and adjust that before it goes in.

Once the results in that will shape the future of the car. A pass and the diffs will be swapped - with one shiter already calling dibs on the wee red beastie.

A fail on little things will see them rectified then see above

A big fail will see them not rectified but will have a look at how much value there is in bits versus selling the rolling shell.

Borrowed njgleeds ramp today to fix the handbrake on mx5

a8d388d43ead9b5f71d6d75fdcd7468b.jpg

We had a quick poke and it looks like some pipes need brush and grease but this will definitely fail

b5de69688280e177a7d06ed0b4bf3d68.jpg

So will postpone the mot for now till I come up with a solution (maybe whip the back box off the other car). With the rain and Christmas coming up time is a bit limited at the moment.

This green machine was in for a new clutch

8bec949e1acd48ca0e6acf1f7542f981.jpg

Look at engine bay access

5f48df561c1673358003db825e8a38f8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like what you need is a hardtop ? has mrs Moog bought you a Christmas pressie yet ? 

Apparently "another flipping car" is all the presents I need.... especially as I might have let slip it was a bit more expensive than I first said.  It was so much easier when I just "won" cars. 

I respectfully suggest that "flipping" was not the word used..

That maybe very true.

Tried starting the new mx5 today and battery was flatty mcflat face. Pulled it out and stuck it in charge but I don't give it much hope.

New battery is only about £40 and could do with battery tray and proper clamp. Current bungee strap wouldn't pass inspection on track day.

Under the battery location is a bit rusty as well so could do with cleaning out, dear rusting then painting.

there may be a spare battery in garage gm, I'll bung it on charge and see if it has any enthusiasm about it (don't get your hopes up, its been lurking in the corner for 'some' years)

Battery seems to have charged. Don't have time to check it but will try when back from my jollies.

This morning's job was to demoist AVO.

Hood down and trusty Screwfix wet n dry to suck all the moistness out.

c227cc9d241ff461c2eca41fd6d8ea9b.jpg

Windows dried and then rice sausages lobbed in

639f0dfdbaec711638b403b3271670df.jpg572fdb5abd3aecbce068d53e80548eae.jpg170696a4804444b9341d4118fa6e469a.jpg

With the hood down, I applied red rubber grease to hold seals.

The windows has slowed to a crawl so silicone spray was applied and now they are Usain bolt like in their speed2a286d6d6de6bb54e4f44db86198e122.jpg

I also emptied the back of the pug. I have been carrying round some random car hits for another shiter

dfb652c06c78d40f57993e099e93a56a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

More moistness.

Picked pug up from parking at the airport yesterday and the inside was pretty much raining.

Had a look today - firstly at scuttle and pollen filter

71332a374e5ddc780c9fcfd764ce18aa.jpg

All looked good. Checked the air recirculation flap as this can be an issue

929e32d4e33560995ad09126f6871722.jpgda8bdb5cae372f2df0060dececec1ac6.jpg

May have found the problem - the rear drivers side has developed a swimming pool

ae3267292a4c87dd5f503d8dbdca1be7.jpg

sucked dry adeffecee4d035052e2e91e5c3d61eff.jpgff8372e7d1717325528f58914b378625.jpg

Checked under the seat and it is dry

c47c2a61eacda0ec73d06a74c76a257e.jpg

Seal is a bit damp

7f6e5ceb230ebe09f0ddc503d1d60f08.jpg

Will have to keep an eye on it. Not sure if it is the seal or if the door wasn't shut properly at one point.

Whilst I had the the sucker out I checked AVO - bugger

c2a7ac7f5c8cd3666a1953cd51284baf.jpg

Just seems to be the passenger footwell that is getting wet. Stuck hand up the back of the dashboard and that is all dry.

Dried it out and again will have to have an investigate when I get some time.

Today was meant to be a day of adventures and complicated collections.

It has all fallen apart not least because the Peugeot 406 has decided to disgrace itself.

Driving to the garage it was a bit odd but thought nothing of it. Of course I filled it up with diesel and then drove it home.

That was the final curse and the car started playing up properly. I think the fuel pump is buggered as would accelerate a bit but then stop, the go pedal did nothing. Changing gear didn't seem to help - anything with load just caused the car to just coast.

Bugger.

It's a 90 Hdi.

Rev counter is normal. It just runs out of puff. It wasn't consistent.

So will pull away in first up to 4k, into second up to 2k then stop pulling, into 3rd and no power.

I am now 300 miles away from the car so it will have to be poked at next week.

I did put almost 2 tanks of petrol through the diesel motor so if it is the pump then it's my own fault.

Missus Moog has suggested that I just enter roffles to get a replacement.

That does sound fuel pump/filter related to me too.

When I get back will try a filter - cheapest option.

I think if it is more than that then it is time for another car - many niggles, Mot is due in March and I think it is due a cambelt.

As seen elsewhere I decided to solve the broken Peugeot by buying another car - the lancer on here.

Njgleeds pointed me in the direction of it with a barely hidden glee knowing I would be buying it.

It coincided nicely with visiting the Moog in law in Kinross. I had already planned a trip to the Lanarkshire derby so after gently persuading my friend he definitely wanted to give me a lift to buy a car, it was on.

As always handing over a fistful of readies to a stranger on a street to receive a key to a car in return can only be hassle free on here.

Trip back to Kinross was despatched with ease. It's nice to have a car that works!

Even though it is only a 1.6 it goes reasonably well.

Current issues

EML is on - Sri05 had it read and it is oxygen sensor so shouldn't be too tricky to fix

Radio, interior lights, clock and central locking don't work - Sri05 mentioned fuses so will have a look at that

Rear brakes look like they could do with investigation. I did a few hard stops to check everything and it was incredibly squirrelly. Looking at back discs they haven't cleaned up and still a bit rusty. Again not a big deal but worth stripping down to sort out

Cross threaded wheel stud - need to swap the wheel stud out and also remove locking wheel nuts

Aside from that it is an ace car. Very competent, 70 is just over 3k rpm.

Tinted rear windows make it look a bit more gangster than it should mind!

Overall an outstanding purchase I think.

Next week when I am back in Accy - I will have a look at the Peugeot. It probably doesn't warrant having money spent on it as there are too many things up. But if I can get it running I might off it on here as a cheap removal/tip vehicle.