Lidl Oil Dipstick Choob Suction Thingy

UltraWomble

I have the handraulic version and its 4/10 for extracting oil via the dipstick tube, however it 11/10 for all sorts of other 'fluid tranfer problems' as they say in the trade.

Mine is regularly employed to remove oil and old pez from lawnmowers, extract the manky contents of screenwash bottles, extract coolant from expansion tanks and all manner of other jobs. I would suggest getting a few different input-side pipes so you don't contaminate things (I got a load of old oil into the pez tank of a mower and it smoked like a bastard for ages afterwards).

oh, also it makes syphoning petrol/diesel a shitload less traumatic - though be careful that the (presumably screw) bit doesn't get too hot in use or you'll have a homemade flamethrower. The handraulic one I have can shift a surprising amount of liquid despite its diminutive size.

You might need an external power source for some of these things though,depends how long the leads are.

Hmm, wondering if I could use one of those to do partial water changes on our 35L fishy tank.

You'd be better off with one of those syphon things that Del Boy types used to hawk at car shows.

http://www.qvcuk.com/Wash-Matik-2-Car-Cleaning-System.product.512699.html

http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-jiggle-siphon-hose-1-75m-x-20mm/23447

Hmm, wondering if I could use one of those to do partial water changes on our 35L fishy tank.

I'd have a look for the ones you attach to the head of an electric drill - My FIL and I used one to great effect to drain a tank of unleaded from a diesel SEAT some while ago, and it would be a lot easier to do in situ than with something like this, and less effort than with a manual pump.

If you use these to get sump oil out you need to measure what you extract,because it's really easy to leave a good bit in.A friend of mine tried to use one to change the oil on his immaculate 98 Scenic DTi,but probably only sucked up half the sumpful.Because he knew the car needed 5l for a change ,he just baled in the whole oil container,meaning there was7-8l in there.Then he took the car out for a test drive,during which the engine and turbo both destroyed themselves, meaning the scrapping of a really good car.

Anyway, although grovelling on the floor to get the plug undone isn't nice,it's the safest way to get all the muck out.Of course, for a Smart or anything else without a plug,you've got no choice.

If you're emptying the sump, just keep checking the dipstick as you fill it back up.

My Pela gets over 4L out of the 4.5L sump, and as a bonus I can drain the bottom of the filter housing that normally has a bit left, I know it leaves a bit in the sump but the drain plug will also leave a bit.

You can get a replacement sump plug with a tap on it.

Seems a good idea but I'd be driving along with a twangy arsehole wondering if a bit of road debris could knock it and empty the sump. I think it was a pull-twist motion, but you know. It's a tap. It's meant to be easy to open.

You can get a replacement sump plug with a tap on it.

You can, here, and I have a similar-ish system fitted to my Defender.   It's like this one:

LSF100040ODV.gif

...but I can't believe I'd have paid that much for it.  

Maybe mine was an introductory offer or a shonky copy.  Quite convenient to use, but doesn't help with the awkwardly located oil filter that splashes oil all over the place every time you undo it.  I've often thought about installing a remote filter system to makr changes more convenient, then maybe I'd be more inclined to do them on time.

Because aluminium sumps that strip threads.

Because undertrays that have stupid little tiny screws that are exposed to road salt and stuff and turn into single use fasteners. (unless you're Junkman, because real shite doesn't have undertrays).

Because using axle stands and rolling around on the floor. And in my case, that's on a busy main road where the cars are parked nose to tail.

I don't understand why this is a necessary invention.

It takes what...? 5 minutes to safely jack a car and put it on stands, and 2 minutes to remove the sump plug and drain the oil.

If the argument is that it's cheaper to buy the pump from lidl than a reasonable set of stands and a jack then you may as well just get a garage to do the oil change anyway.

I my world;

20 minutes to move cars around so that the one needing to be jacked up is on the flat

10 minutes to find shed key

15 minutes to look for trolley jack in shed

10 minutes to drive to brother's house to pick up trolley jack he borrowed at Christmas

40 minutes to have cup of tea and chat

10 minutes to drive home

5 minutes to safely jack car up and slide old battery underneath as safety support

10 minutes to undo 37 10mm bolts holding under tray on.

2 minutes to undo sump plug

2 minutes to refit sump plug when old washing up bowl full

10 minutes to find funnel and old screen wash 5 l cans

5 minutes to transfer most of oil from bowl into 5l can

2 minutes to undo sump plug.

5 minutes to transfer remaining oil into can(8.5 litre sump capacity)

2 minutes to open filter canister and swap filter.

10 minutes to refill sump

10 minutes to refit 33 10mm bolts holding under tray on

5 minutes to lower car and put trolley Jack in the boot of whatever non-runner it will fit in

Or, do what I did last week,

5 minutes drive to garage

35 minutes sitting in comfy sofa drinking coffee and eating yummy little Italian biscuits wrapped in paper whilst watching Loose Women .

3 minutes handing over £92

5 minutes driving home

On Landcruiser and Outback both high enough off ground to slip oil drain can underneath, and slide under to remove plug, cut outs in undertray/bash plate for sump plug access and oil draining and do the job properly.

However in both cases its a case of removing or at least lowering undertray one side to get not quadruple jointed hands and straps to the filters, so a sucker would be pointless anyhow unless an oil change is planned without filter change.

Never going to own a car with no sump plug, another brilliant* idea they stick up their collective arse.

I own one of these , it's so useful I completely forgot I owned it and have done numerous traditional oil changes since owning it  . Seemed a great idea at the time  

Hmm.A bit  like the Lidls   zipgun ...air ratchet..rechargeable vacuum...bread maker... great things to buy , to save time   Ha

The endoscope thing has had a bit of use , the sabre saw i use, the best thing though was their padded overalls and 5" angle grinder !! Ooooh and the powerfile was useful too. Once.

I don't understand why this is a necessary invention.

It takes what...? 5 minutes to safely jack a car and put it on stands, and 2 minutes to remove the sump plug and drain the oil.

If the argument is that it's cheaper to buy the pump from lidl than a reasonable set of stands and a jack then you may as well just get a garage to do the oil change anyway.

Because my boat engine doesn't have a sump plug, it not being a good idea to let all the oil go into the bilges. I have a hand pump but because of confined  working space around the engine It is difficult to hold the pump, operate the handle and hold the pipe in the waste oil container at the same time. So usually at some point in the procedure I end up pumping waste oil over the interior of the cabin. 

Likewise the gearbox. Also sounds like it will be useful if ever needed for refueling from jerry cans at sea.

I bought the same pump in France or somewhere a few years ago, useful thing, my friend has it at the moment for emptying diesel from a car he's scrapped. Some soft rubber fuel pipe to compliment the ones supplied make it easier to use. I think the time quoted to empty a sump seems a bit long, or maybe it's based on how long once the sump's been emptied in this manner a few times and becomes half treacle.

I my world;

20 minutes to move cars around so that the one needing to be jacked up is on the flat

10 minutes to find shed key

15 minutes to look for trolley jack in shed

10 minutes to drive to brother's house to pick up trolley jack he borrowed at Christmas

40 minutes to have cup of tea and chat

10 minutes to drive home

5 minutes to safely jack car up and slide old battery underneath as safety support

10 minutes to undo 37 10mm bolts holding under tray on.

2 minutes to undo sump plug

2 minutes to refit sump plug when old washing up bowl full

10 minutes to find funnel and old screen wash 5 l cans

5 minutes to transfer most of oil from bowl into 5l can

2 minutes to undo sump plug.

5 minutes to transfer remaining oil into can(8.5 litre sump capacity)

2 minutes to open filter canister and swap filter.

10 minutes to refill sump

10 minutes to refit 33 10mm bolts holding under tray on

5 minutes to lower car and put trolley Jack in the boot of whatever non-runner it will fit in

what happened to the other 4 bolts?

Hang on, why should the flow rates of oil and diesel be quite so different?  OK engine oil is thicker than diesel, but the difference isn't that huge.  Doesn't seem right to me.  

You have answered your own question! It might not seem much thicker to you but we humans aren't good at recognising these differences - like guessing the speed of a passing car.

To a machine, the difference in thickness will make a difference.