2000 Suzuki swift

dean36014

Picked this up today for the grand sum of £250. 38 Thousand miles from new with every old mot from new to back it up. Its in genuine Pogweasel Pink, and the bumpers have some nice flaking paint. Few little scrapes, but not bad for a 3 owner from new vehicle. Main floors and sills are like the day they came out the factory, under the bonnet is exactly what you expect a 15 year old car to look, grimy. No oil leaks or rust there though. Boot floor is a little surface rusty underneath and needs a wire brushing and treating. Missing mirror cover on the offside, and the nearside mirror has a stick on glass in totally the wrong shape! Exhaust, although new'ish has a rattle against something at tickover. Four matching Uniroyal tyres with good tread. Drives great with that revvy little 3 pot. Plans are to rip the bumpers off and rattle can them, touch up the few scrapes, might be easier to try and obtain a replacement front wing, will see if I can find one on Ebay. Then borrow my mates polishing mop and get it shining again. Wonder if I'll be able to get it on classic insurance? 

Have some pictures

post-740-0-19331900-1456592081_thumb.jpg

post-740-0-59155300-1456592129_thumb.jpg

post-740-0-81857700-1456592161_thumb.jpg

Its pretty clean inside, needs the carpet tucking back under a door trim, and a cover for the interior light. Struggling to get insurance cheaply on it though. Guess its to new for a classic policy. My main car insurance runs out in a month so maybe can get both insured cheaper. Any ideas? Best quote so far is £341 fully comp with zero no claims. Lancaster classic insurance want £1400!!!!

The carpets seem to peel away at the edges all the time. Originally it's stapled to a piece of plastic that clips over the seem weld under the kick plate. I think the carpet gets pulled down or shrinks, the staples rust, break and the carpet pulls down exposing the inside of the sill. Liberal application of fabric adhesive and much pressure onto the sill seems to hold it in place. Be careful taking the plastic trim clips out though as they are stupid easy to break.

Cambelt changed in 2011 at 15473 miles, wonder if it was original or wether its had 2 cambelts already. Looking through the old mots (all of them from 3 years old!) it appears it was a genuine little old lady from new. It managed 4392 miles in its first 3 years, was supplied new by Autoworld Suzuki in Sheffield to the lady in Sheffield, then went to Chesterfield to a male owner, then another female owner in Chesterfield. In may 2015 it had a service by Ace Auto Service of Chesterfield and mot costing £408!!! That does include 2 new tryres though. Its done 4000 miles since then. Wonder what the service interval is on the cambelt?

Love looking through all the history of new cars.

post-740-0-86883000-1456603799_thumb.jpg

Its pretty clean inside, needs the carpet tucking back under a door trim, and a cover for the interior light. Struggling to get insurance cheaply on it though. Guess its to new for a classic policy. My main car insurance runs out in a month so maybe can get both insured cheaper. Any ideas? Best quote so far is £341 fully comp with zero no claims. Lancaster classic insurance want £1400!!!!

Classic sometimes refers to useage rather than age.

Try a silly low-mileage-per-annum...if that's convenient. As in, 3,000 miles or something (which is 9 miles a day, but let's skim over that).

Cambelt seems to be 6 years or 54k.

Google is unsure whether it's non-interference or whether it'll lunch itself, but as you are able to swat at the front of the car with a comet and still miss the engine I'd lean towards the former.

Yeesh. What is the world coming to when you can't even trust Yahoo Answers to get things right.

Still, I'm loving this Swift invasion of the board.

My father in law had a blue one of this shape with the 1.3 litre engine which was about the most reliable thing ever, and when it went wrong, the bill was never more than around £50.

Best quote so far is £341 fully comp with zero no claims. Lancaster classic insurance want £1400!!!!

I'm go with the £341, and build up a no claims on a second car. We HAD classic insurance on an MX5 at about £220, and Eventually found that a normal policy was the same price. Now wife has 3 years no claims on the mx5 and 25 years on the Bini

Already tried the 3000 miles per annum route. Will whip the covers off and visually check the cambelt, I'm guessing it will be fine. Found a wing in the right colour from a breakers in Stoke, but with postage it will come to £50. Can buy a lot of filler and paint for that. Managed to download a workshop manual for it, and acquired a handbook for ebay for 1.99 delivered. My car insurance runs out shortly on the daily so will try and insure it at the same time and see what deals we can get.

Basically brought it for something to fiddle with. My divorce is coming through this year, and at my old house I had a large garage fully fitted out where I was always tinkering on something mechanical. My new house has nothing except for a cracking base where an old single garage was, so a full restoration project was a no go. Five years of not having a project on the go has been painful, I feel more cheerful already at the thought of getting some spanner action in. Basically its Autoshite therapy.

£341 doesn't sound too bad for fully comp. Lancaster are great for classic policies but happily admit to being shit on 'normal' stuff whenever I've spoken to them. I nearly always go to them for older stuff, though.

Well been out for a play and first order of the day was to junk the poundland wheeltrims, a better set will have to procedured from somewhere.

next it was try and work out how to turn down the volume on the original high quality* Suzuki radio cassette, various attempts made....but failed dismally. Think I might get one of those cheap radio/usb/mp3 players of ebay unless I can find a cheap cd player locally. Have a picture of it in its whole OEM glory.

post-740-0-51183800-1456663453_thumb.jpg

Next up was to have a look at that cambelt, a look under the bonnet reveals the 3 cylinder, 54bhp powerhouse in totally originally, not bullshitted up for sale condition.

post-740-0-17562300-1456663575_thumb.jpg

looks like it was a Gates cambelt fitted

post-740-0-82220400-1456663638_thumb.jpg

removed half the bolts and pulled the cover back to reveal a Gates belt in good condition with no signs of wear or perishing, Bonus!

Pulled the plugs and they were good, nice colour and hardly eroded. Air filter was a really strange designed element, looked like it should have been a filter out of a very large vacuum cleaner! A little dirty, but nothing to worry about. Dizzy cap removed and all in good order in there to, quick clean of the rotor arm and bolted back together. Checked the oil and it was still golden coloured. Once its on the road I'll change it after a few weeks.

So a quick look underneath revealed a new'ish exhaust bar the front pipe which is original. Nice modifications to the exhaust rubbers involving tie wraps, they might get replaced too at some point. The boot floor looks worse than it is, but will get cleaned up, treated and painted. rear suspension looks a mess but its all solid, just surface rust. Will wire brush and spray it in black wax.

post-740-0-74277700-1456663966_thumb.jpg

A look at the floors revealed them to be solid, with just a few peeling areas of underseal to deal with. Will get it up in the air and rust treat and repaint these areas as soon as it gets a bit warmer.

post-740-0-75204600-1456664094_thumb.jpg

post-740-0-76461200-1456664134_thumb.jpg

A few brake pipes were cleaned up, and the ferrels on the flexy's but all good underneath. Front wheels off showed nothing of concern, all joints seem ok, no split gaiters, discs with no lips on them, front brake pads are getting low so a new set will be purchased.

So a quick look at the giffer damage, scrapes on 3 corners, most of its on the bumpers which need repainting anyway due to flaking paint. The bumpers look like they are two seperate pieces, upper and lower, a bit of sanding and filler work will have them back in fine fettle, no splits or cracks thankfully. Both front wings have light scrapes, should be easy enough to sort out, little bit of surface rust on the nearside one but still solid.

post-740-0-74398700-1456664465_thumb.jpg

post-740-0-81601400-1456664504_thumb.jpg

post-740-0-87881300-1456664559_thumb.jpg

Spare wheel looks like its never been removed, the fixing bolt is seized, so now soaking in oil to hopefully release it. Jack has never been used and the wheelbrace is still in its packet.

As a Brucey Bonus I checked the car over for goodies left behind and found these

post-740-0-58396200-1456665266_thumb.jpg

The mike is Shure PG52 drum mike. A quick google revals them to be around the 100 quid mark new, and selling on ebay used for about £40, bonus!

Thats it for today, the cold has set the arthritis off so end of play. 

Suzuki's from this period seem to have whatever radio was cheapest at the time. Both my Swifts both had different CD players, my 03 plated Alto had a tape deck but your Swift has a Suzuki branded tape deck. Yours has a different oil cap for some reason too.

Well its now taxed and insured, although for some reason its still showing as untaxed on DVLA website, will keep email confirmation on phone just incase.

First impressions? Nippy, certainly more sprightly than the 1.4 Grande Punto daily, although that's not saying much really. Rattles and squeaks all over the place add to the fun of it. Heater is like a log burner in the cabin, and seems to start pumping out toasty warm heat in about 10 seconds. Engine note is great, hit 3k and it really* takes off with a rorty little engine sound. 

Finally managed to get the radio turned down to an acceptable volume, so vowed not to touch it again to I get a replacement. 

Earning its keep already doing a tip run, surprising amount of room with seats down. On arrival home a replacement mirror glass had already turned up so that was fitted, although the vision out the nearside mirror is still rubbish. 

Appears to have a slight water leak into the boot from the offside rear light, will remove and reseal.

Discovered a vintage bottle of Tcut and some polish from a guilt purchase last year when I almost decided to wash and polish the daily. A happy hour was spent throwing Tcut merrily around with gay abandon, followed by a quick coat of polish. I know it will soon return to pogweasel pink, but for a quick effort its made a big difference.

post-740-0-73238900-1456845065_thumb.jpg

Was surprised by how good the paint really is for what was a cheap car, my old Rover would scratch easily, this finish seems really hard.

Looking at the bumpers it would appear that they were originally black plastic and someone has body coloured them with poor prep work. Wonder if it was done by the supplying dealer to make them more attractive for sale? Think I might keep my eyes open for some on ebay at a sensible price and repaint them. 

I read all your advice on rust treatments.......and ignored it all and ordered some stuff that got a five star review in Land Rover Monthly. After all everyone knows Land Rovers came with factory installed rust, at least all my previous ones were.

Just debating wether to give it a run to work tonight, will definitely inflict it on the ex wife and use it to go to Nottingham in a few weeks to visit my daughter on her birthday.

They do look comfy don't they. Personally I'd find them ok for town work but wouldn't fancy a longer journey in them, pretty much like the grande punto really.

Its now parked on the road ready for work tonight, can see the Punto getting relegated to weekend motor at this rate. The Suzuki reminds of the fun I had as a teenager bombing around in my old minivan.

That 'rusty dogbone' under the middle of the boot floor (where the rear seat hinges forward, looking inside) is a bugger!! It is spot welded to the floor skin and rusts like F**K. My floor looked like two brownie waffles right where the welding spots are.

Three Potta can be 'tuned' with a 50% 'offset' cam pulley key... effectively moving the valve timing.

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=11898

Google Swift Forum.... US one (call it the Geo over there).

nice car...

TS