I've got a stiff one!

nigel bickle

Ok -smut aside -my 'G' plate Croma brake pedal has gone v hard on the Missus!Works fine -just a LOT of effort. Calipers seem fine -discs are nice and shiny; handbrake excellent -and nothing sticks/pulls.So -I thought servo -except there isnt one! The m/cyl is over on the nearside -bolted direct to the bulkhead. There's no rubber pipework that I can see -or any remote servo type shape -unless I'm losing my marbles.So-I moved onto the linkage across the car -but i cant see it. Anyone know if its under the bonnet or in the footwells? Only thing I can think of is that somethings trapped on it- but I'm open to ideas/thoughts?

That rings a bell with me ^ Mr_B.My S2 blew it's hydraulic pump in spectacular fashion with fluid all over the engine bay. It was almost unsteerable after that, and it took a lot of slowing down.Or maybe there's a separate little vacuum pump like some diesels - but that'd still need a servo hidden somewhere.

I've just Googled to see if I could find anything out about how the Saab 9000's brakes work, since it apparently shares a platform with the Croma. I found this on Saabscene - might give you a clue about where to start looking:

If you listen carefully when you turn on the ignition, you will hear the fuel pump run until pressure is generated in the fuel rail and also the brake servo pump below the 'aquarium' through the passenger footwell.

Edited to add: Ooh - that's my 100th post! Milestone!

If you listen carefully when you turn on the ignition, you will hear the fuel pump run until pressure is generated in the fuel rail and also the brake servo pump below the 'aquarium' through the passenger footwell.

I've had two 9000's, and never noticed a tank full of angel fish in the passenger footwell... :roll:

I've had two 9000's, and never noticed a tank full of angel fish in the passenger footwell... :roll:
I would say my footwells were more 'pond' like! :roll: