1977 Yamaha FS1E-DX Fizzy for sale

Guest Breadvan72

Guest Breadvan72

$_57.JPG

Please see here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121899704281?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

This is a 1977 Yamaha "Fizzy" moped, with working pedals and a front disc brake (this being the DX variant of the FS1-|E).   The bike also benefits from a separate oil tank so there is no need to add oil to the fuel tank.   I gather that the colour, "Chappy Red", is quite rare.  

This bike was restored  to what appears to me to be a good standard in about 2010 by an RAF chap who sold it to me in 2011.   I used it for nostalgic fun and a bit of light commuting in town, but since moving to the country have had no real use for the bike, so it sat in my shed for a while.  I had the bike lightly recommissioned and given an MoT by a local bike workshop late last year and now offer it for sale.  It's a lovely thing to ride in town, with proper motorbike handling and stopping, and enough pep to have fun without shattering any speed records.  It makes a fruity noise and burbles away pleasantly.    If you were a purist, you would change the tail light, as the one fitted is a later design, but the bike looks fine as it is, I think.  The mileage since the rebuild is fairly minimal, as the bike has rarely been ridden for more than a mile or two per journey.   

There are a few small rust spots on the wheels and a minor chip to the paint just below the saddle on one side, but in general the bike is in good but not perfect condition.

The tax and insurance costs on this sort of bike are small, and the bike will qualify for tax exemption when it turns 40 in 2017.  

The bike comes with an owner's handbook and a Haynes manual.  The bike is located in south Oxfordshire, close to junction 6 M40.    You could tax and ride the bike away if you have the patience and pluck to ride such a small and not mega fast machine on open country roads, but otherwise put it on a trailer or in a van.  

NB - up for auction, but Shiter price negotiable

That's fabulous, but you haven't done what everyone else did in 1979 and claim that it does a genuine 71mph up hill with a mate on the back. So I'm out.

Guest Breadvan72

This one has pedals, is not restricted, and sounds good.  It will go up to an indicated 45 mph with a fat bloke on board.  It handles as a motorbike should.  A modern twist and go scooter will out drag it at the lights, but a Fizzy is much more enjoyable to ride than any scooter.

My Puch M50 would have 'had it' easy! :)

Ahhhh Memories of my Puch GP - great little bike - purchased 1979 (aged 15) in two tea chests - two of them - no idea if all the bits were there - Rebuilt on pocket money and on the road when I was 16 - never did work out what the top speed was - speedo needle moved about so much it was always a middle for diddle guess between the highest and lowest indication at the time.

img074.jpg

I also had an Suzuki AP50 that I picked up for buttons and rebuilt and sold on for a profit as the unrestricted peds had a strong following v the restricted ones

img076.jpg

I owned an old 70s p reg with pedals,that was also a dx with front disc,flat out was 48mph according to speedo,i swapped it for a 80s rm250 air cooled twinshock that I bought through work,im sure the fizzy had alloy wheels though?long time ago

The RD50 (later, shit 1980's thing) had mag wheels.

I R baffulated. A yellow 1977 bike with no disc brake is bid up past 3300 with six days to go. Not a sausage on mine.

Chiefly, yours has a 'high' start price. The mentality of probably 90%+ of eBay users is that they want to bid for a bargain. Most of them would bid past £3,000 possibly due to auction fever, possibly due to not wanting to lose a bidding battle with another user. If you waited a couple of weeks then relisted with a 99p start and a reserve (better without one though and pray it goes right) then the bidding will kick off very quickly and attract the above sort of bidder.

Also yellow is a more attractive colour, just like Raleigh Choppers where the purple ones seem

more sought after.

I've been wrong before and could well be this time though.

99p start, lob a reserve on it and see what happens.

agree 100%, it doesn't always work (I lost out on the banana yellow Impreza but it was am impulse buy by me tbh) but I have found it usually gets very good results for the reasons you stated above. If I see a car at 99p I will often stick a couple of hundred on in the hope no one else sees it and that helps to get the ball rolling. I am sure loads of people do the same.