NEW MEGA SHITE

Mr_Bo11ox

A fabulous find! I once Bangered a 1400 Pony, most fun night I ever had on the track. I was laughed at when we rolled into the pits but ended winning the £200 DD! I was out with Volvo's, Granadas and the like too. I will scan a photo in when I've got time. Continuing the Pony theme, back when I working for Royal Mail, a chap had a 1600 LHD example, that he's bought brand new whilst living in Canada and shipped it back to the UK when he came back to live. Had it right up until the end of it's life.

its coming home on the 'A', not so much stomach churning this time from me though as its smart looking, taxed and MOT'd and should be pretty light weight. 920kg seems rather a lot though! Is that right? I thought it would weigh next to nowt due to being made of flimsy tin sheet like a 'triang'

I CAN HAZ PONY? YA RLY!!!!!1

Mission accomplished, The pony was dumped in my works car park at 11.30pm after a 450-mile mega trip to Taunton.

I got down to the sellers house at 6pm yesterday. It was a pretty posh area and I was impressed to see that he had a Ferrari 360 Modena in his driveway! Obv I took a quick 'contrast' snap to show off the sleek italian/Korean styling of the Pony.

Posted Image

The seller was mega sound, and earned a million points of respect when he explained that he had repaired the Ferrari himself from an insurance write-off, tig-welding the aluminium structure back together and fitting assorted parts that he'd found on eBay, in the true shite style!!!! Legendary stuff. He also had another ferrari, a concours black 348 ts in his garage. Neither was taxed as he 'never had time to drive em', didnt seem that worried about someone nicking the 360 off his driveway either! It had just sat there for 5 months. Brilliant!

Anyway I lobbed on the a-frame in about 5mins, coughed up the coins and set off. I got about 1 metre before there was a massive 'clonk' and the Pony went lame, dragging itself sideways across the road. Looking at it, I had got the chain of the A frame round the steering arm as well as the wishbone! WHAT A FUGGIN MORON, I thought I had snapped the steering arm which caused me to have a massive panic attack at the thought of my new Pony having broken steering and no way of getting it home. Just the thought of it was giving me a virtual 'Jalapeno chilli enema'. Closer inspection revealed that I had in fact bent the inner track rod quite badly, but not broken it. The tracking was a mile out now, with the front wheels being visbly skewed out. I refitted the a-frame properly and set off. It towed OK but the tyres were scrubbing so much that it screeched like christ only knows what on tarmac surfaces. I figured that the tyres would be worn away to nothing long before I got home if I carried on like that so I stopped in sainsburys car park and had a proper look at it.

The damage was to the inner track rod end, (steering box on these, not a rack). It was bent to fook causing the wheels to toe-out enormously. I got the old mole grips out and set on re-doing the tracking myself to compensate for the bent arm. The pony is like a new car underneath, no rust even on the TRE locking nuts meaning there was no problem to undo em. My idea worked perfectly and i re-aligned the wheels 'by eye', nipped it up and all was in order, towed much better now as well. The damage is confined to this inner track rod end, I found a new one on eBay this morning for a fiver so bought that, with that on and the tracking re-set it should all be bob-on again.

Posted Image

This Pony is a winner, I absolutely love it already. at £350 plus £60 for collecting it and another £10 to fix the damage I have done, its a pretty expensive car by my standards. But, its in wonderful condition. You could eat your dinner off the engine bay. and the interior is unbelievable. Its amazingly bright inside with light grey trim, very thin windscreen pillars and a glass sunroof, like driving a greenhouse man. I only had a little drive in the works car park (dont really want to drive it till the steering is fixed properly, dont want to give myself a bad first impression of driving it) but the impression I got is that it is a very tight car, with nice light controls and a very 'old Japanese car' feel, slick but somehow... a bit 'numb'.

Nowts gonna happen with it till i've sold the Ital (to pay for the insurance) as I have well exceeded my monthly disposable car spending money, but when that happens its gonna be on the road as its taxed, tested and has half a tank of juice! I can't wait.

Glad all went well, hope to see it at some event this year? Maybe you could even bring it along to a 'meat' at The Angel one month?Amused by your story about the seller, can't be many people simultaneously owning Ferraris and a Pony. Always nice when you come across someone decent in these circumstances.

I'm still reeling from reading about that shocking A-Frame fail, Mr.B. :lol: Are there manky rusty steels hiding under those placca wheel trims or are they alright? I think my Pont pickup came with some original center caps if you need some.

Yeah that is a bad fail. I cheerfully was saying to the seller 'yeah I've done stacks of A-framing me, no problem man', then I go and lash it on wrong and knacker the steering in front of his house. I've had 2 fails, one was when my Lancia Prisma came loose in the chains and started to overtake me on a roundabout, (ultimately twatting into the back of my Audi!), and this is the other one. I must say I feel very lucky that I didnt bust the steering mechanism right up, I really do not know how I would have dealt with that little issue. Ah well it all adds to the A-frame 'CV' I suppose.

I've been lucky so far but I'm dreading my first A frame mishap as there's bound to be one sooner of later! Lucky no damage was done. You could probably have robbed the necesary bits from my pickup mind as it's ticket is up soon and it hasn't a hope in hell of getting another.

Is the pickup that bad? Seems like a shame with the effort you put into sorting that front wing. What's up with it particularly, rotten underneath or something?

Is the pickup that bad? Seems like a shame with the effort you put into sorting that front wing. What's up with it particularly, rotten underneath or something?

No bottoms in the sills or lower rear corners of the bed, Both rear arches shot, RH inner wing top shot, LH inner wing bottom gone, front valance bad and rot in the floorpans. The only good bit of the body is the doors and maybe the bonnet. I would weld it up but I've just got too much on at the moment. It might just have to sit here until I get time but it's likely to be a mega weldathon if I ever get round to it. Shame as it's been very useful of late.

No bottoms in the sills or lower rear corners of the bed, Both rear arches shot, RH inner wing top shot, LH inner wing bottom gone, front valance bad and rot in the floorpans. The only good bit of the body is the doors and maybe the bonnet. I would weld it up but I've just got too much on at the moment. It might just have to sit here until I get time but it's likely to be a mega weldathon if I ever get round to it. Shame as it's been very useful of late.

Quite a list! I recall you stating that it was a bit of a rotbox. Seems like you've been getting some good use out of it, it looked superb hauling all that Renault stuff about. Maybe when summer rolls in, the idea of welding it up might be a tad more appealing, doing little bits now and then etc.Then again, maybe it won't!

Well, I haven't written if off yet, but I must admit welding it up outside at the moment deffinately doesn't appeal!xr1984: I think some of the brake parts are Ford but most of the reat seems to be Mitsubishi on my pickup. i think the saloon is probably going to be the same running gear.

Nowts gonna happen with it till i've sold the Ital (to pay for the insurance) as I have well exceeded my monthly disposable car spending money, but when that happens its gonna be on the road as its taxed, tested and has half a tank of juice! I can't wait.

What you looking for the Ital ?- For some strange reason (very strange) i've got an ankering for one of those :o Back to the hyundai, looks a belter I always remember em being very rusty so great this has survived. I remember going to Hyundai in the 80's as my dad was looking at an Hyundai Stellar again always liked them - great taxi of it's day :wink: He bought a Vauxhall Belmont instead though .. (see i was brought up on shite)

What you looking for the Ital ?- For some strange reason (very strange) i've got an ankering for one of those :o Back to the hyundai, looks a belter I always remember em being very rusty so great this has survived. I remember going to Hyundai in the 80's as my dad was looking at an Hyundai Stellar again always liked them - great taxi of it's day :wink: He bought a Vauxhall Belmont instead though .. (see i was brought up on shite)
Sounds like you need to visit..http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index.cgi?board=FSW&action=display&thread=56475

• 1 month later...

Posted Image

The Pony is on the road! I insured it yesterday and took it home (its been in my works car park ever since I bought it!) I sorted out the bent steering by fitting a new track rod end and took it for a blezz last night. Its great! The engine is amazingly quiet and it goes very well, wouldnt wanna go much faster than about 65mph in it though. Its pretty good fun to chuck about and the gearchange is super-slick. The seats are pretty dismal, I have done about 50 miles in it and my back is killing me already. I love it!

I ditched the horrible placca wheel trimz, the wheels need a clean-up underneath but all the centre caps are present so thats good. Need to do a 'pandamonium' and give the wheels a lick of paint to brighten them up a bit, and maybe lob a few sets of trim rings on?

Posted Image

Thats ultra cool (in an utterly obscure, zero kudos sort of way). I always thought these looked like a bad Oriental copy of the facelifted Renault 14.