Audi 80 - now for sale

holbeck

My day started early, but no picture of the kitchen clock, as I was bundling out the door to the station.

Early, early railway station.

post-4930-0-75774200-1455051345_thumb.jpg

Just time for the dubious meat breakfast and coffee

post-4930-0-11127600-1455051554_thumb.jpg

On the train now, just time for a snack

post-4930-0-05377300-1455051649_thumb.jpg

Made it to that London, and had a wind blown wait for the circle line, when it did turn up it was rammed. Now I remember why I don't come here that often. Anyways, to Liverpool St for another train. Have a crappy pic of da City.

post-4930-0-79082600-1455051745_thumb.jpg

Wow Essex is lovely, how did I not know?

post-4930-0-78414200-1455051965_thumb.jpg

Only joking, It was my book. (Quite good actually).

post-4930-0-98035500-1455052104_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I got this far in and no train pic, so here you go.

post-4930-0-48972600-1455052221_thumb.jpg

Anyway I eventually arrived in Norwich, and was picked up by the vendor in quite a nice Audi 100.

The car in question, a povo spec 1.8 Audi 80 seen in the blue forum classifieds. Quick shufty round kick the tyres, hand over some money, and just the small matter of the 300 mile trip back to Devon.

Here's the pez stn shot.

post-4930-0-52119000-1455052316_thumb.jpg

As a little experiment I put in exactly 10 gallons, so if there's any left it must be doing more than 30 mpg.  And the answer is it IS doing better  - Still quarter of a tank left.

Here's the back of it from this afternoon's wee break.
post-4930-0-10327600-1455052492_thumb.jpg

Thank you for looking at my holiday slides.

The end

I often chuckle when I see these advertised with 'new cambelt and waterpump'. A belt takes about 25 minutes if you're being slow and the water pump just bolts straight off the side of the block, not driven by the cambelt. It says as much about how modern stuff is crap and something like this is good.

Was it the 'needs brake shoes' which put others off I wonder - I suppose plenty now reckon they're as tricky as a carburettor. Looks like a good buy, Michelins and all.

When I bought mine,which now belongs to Skizzer,the temp gauge barely moved so I replaced the sender unit and all was fine. About £9.00 on ebay.

Thanks for the tip, this one barely moves. I was ruling it out as the was a tiny bit of movement.

On a different note, it now has two new wiper blades, the ones fitted were too small and squeaked.

As I am a very sad person, I knew there was a set in the bargain bin at my local Lidl.

On a different note, it now has two new wiper blades, the ones fitted were too small and squeaked.

As I am a very sad person, I knew there was a set in the bargain bin at my local Lidl.

I'm also sad like that, although on Sunday I splashed out on some Halfords wipers for the Mondeo before heading up to JohnK and the Vectra swap, as I'm finding the Wilko ones a bit shite and smeary.  Glad I did as we had ALL OF THE RAIN on the trip up.

Nice purchase BTW Andy.  With the Skizzer reference I thought you were off collecting something pale blue and 70s shite, but this will do!

A little update. The first proper cold morning we've had exposed that it was the thermostat behind the lack of movement of the temp gauge.

So, new thermostat now fitted and everything is as it should be. Temp gauge needle now sits at 90 and the heater gets nice and warm

Here's a bonus photo outside my favourite shop

post-4930-0-30457100-1455740547_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In an unplanned (car purchase) turn of events , the Audi is now For Sale.

1990 1.8 B3 Audi 80.

183000 miles,  but drives like it's half that

MOT 5th Jan 17 (no advisories)

4 good Michelin tyres.

In good clean sound condition.

The worst of it is the drivers seat which has some staining (claimed to be baby milk by the previous owner), and bolster wear.

The owner prior to him had the car for 21 years and kept it well (you can tell).

I've had this car only one month and have done less than 1000 miles including collection from Norwich.

When I got it, it was running cold, so I've fitted a new thermostat and it's now bang on.

Other than that I've commuted to work in it and it's been fine.

Also included are a set of rear brake shoes these have been passed on with the car, but I don't think they're imminently needed as the brakes work well and there are no untoward noises.

£400

Car located Sidmouth Devon

Pics to follow.

I'm not entirely sure on the MPG 

Driving it back from Norwich, it was sucking air when I started so I bunged in exactly 10 gallons for what turned out to be a 320 mile trip. The needle was on quarter of a tank when I got home and  I actually managed to do over 400 miles before adding another 10 gallons.

This next tank coincided with a week off work and lots more short trips and round town running. It managed 340 miles but I wouldn't say I've gone about it in the most scientific way.