Tyre selection advice, Ovlov Versatile Forty specific

inconsistant

Hello. We got a puncture at the weekend (my wife did actually... but suddenly it's back to being 'our car' instead of 'her car' so I'm dealing with it). Since the tyres don't have far to go until they reach the minimum tread depth marker I reckon we'll just get a new pair up front. Also I drove it home flat because it happened about a quarter mile from home, so the sidewall is a bit shagged too now so probably best not go for a repair.

Anyway... It's an Volvo V40, the old versatile forty estate one, 2003 and it's a front tyre. It's got standard sheep in wolfs clothing Carlos Fandango super wide low profile wheels on 17inch rimzyo, tyres are 215/45ZR17. Thing is the handling and grip is pretty poor given the tyre width/profile, which I think these are renowned for. I don't get the handling confidence that the tyre wideness suggests I might do, and this really compromises my self appointed Driving God status, and I sometimes fail to achieve the sporting dad levels of driving that I have in other vehicular conveyances. It's really easy to spin up the wheels in damp conditions as the average dynamics struggle to present the moist tarmac with it's full 115bhp of 1.9 diesel power. 

So cutting to the chase: what I really want to know is does anyone have any suggestions for tyre makes/models that might improve things, or even ones to avoid for the reasons above. The tyres that are being replaced are Avon, I think we've got Toyo on the back and they're only a year or so old. So mid range is my usual hunting ground for tyres.

Tyre fact me please...

I hate Avon tyres with a passion, I've had several cars/wheels with them on and the cars were markedly improved with any other tyre fitted.

I've got Toyo proxes T1R on my Volvo and Scirocco and I like them, I don't like how fast they wear, but I like how they grip. They can aqua-plane a bit though.

Goodyear Eagle F1, nearly as grippy as the Toyos but cost a lot more and last a lot longer.

The boring has Nexen/Nokian all season tyres fitted, gr9 all year round and wear quite well, cheap too. Gr9.3 in the wet.

Dunlop Blueresponse are a decent all round tyre as well, but I found them a tad soft and punctured but this might just be my bad luck.

Storia #1 had Yokohama Parada spec 2 fitted, and I didn't rate them ... until I changed them and nearly crashed the car with other tyres fitted. I will likely be buying more of these.

In summary, meh, loads of choice ... for grip Toyo proxes, all year round use I like "all season" Nokian tyres .... YMMV

Thanks for the advices to far. Just to add, we do a very low annual mileage, about 4000 miles a year tops so wear probably isn't a big concern.

I use an independent local tyre place so would trust their recommendations ( I think they suggested the Toyos for the price) but always good to hear actual real experience from those that do enough motoring to compare different tyres.

I hate Avon tyres with a passion, I've had several cars/wheels with them on and the cars were markedly improved with any other tyre fitted.

I've got Toyo proxes T1R on my Volvo and Scirocco and I like them, I don't like how fast they wear, but I like how they grip. They can aqua-plane a bit though.

Goodyear Eagle F1, nearly as grippy as the Toyos but cost a lot more and last a lot longer.

The boring has Nexen/Nokian all season tyres fitted, gr9 all year round and wear quite well, cheap too. Gr9.3 in the wet.

Dunlop Blueresponse are a decent all round tyre as well, but I found them a tad soft and punctured but this might just be my bad luck.

Storia #1 had Yokohama Parada spec 2 fitted, and I didn't rate them ... until I changed them and nearly crashed the car with other tyres fitted. I will likely be buying more of these.

In summary, meh, loads of choice ... for grip Toyo proxes, all year round use I like "all season" Nokian tyres .... YMMV

When i saw those tyres on your Volvo , they looked like cut slicks ! I'm not surprised they aquaplane..just a bit...

• 1 year later...

Just rediscovered this thread and I thought it would be good to add some feedback. 

In the end we went with Yokohamas, because they were what was available to fit at our local place on the day. I was advised that they weren't great for long life and would wear quicker than other choices, but doing low mileage that wasn't much of a worry.

Conclusion: Wow, what a difference a pair of tyres can make. The handling and feeling of control is totally transformed in the dry and the wet. The turn feels sharper and in the wet in particular I feel much more like the car will go the way I want. I'm never, ever, ever going to choose Avon tyres again.