Cat D - is it now recorded on the V5?

Dick Longbridge

Anyone know if Cat D is now recorded on the V5, now that VIC rating has been sacked off? I bought a light Cat D repaired car this week, but the log book states the damage repair exceeded the repair cost of the vee-hicle. I know Cat C always stated this, but have never had it with Cat D.

Or is it our Celtic cousins from over the water cocking things up?

This isn't my car, prior to repair.

2EAF287B00000578-3328973-image-a-60_1448

Got a photo of the V5?

Cat C never said anything about value in the past on the logbook just that it was accident damaged / repaired

The exact wording is, 'This vehicle has been salvaged because the estimated cost of commercial repair was more than the value of the vehicle.'

Yeah, the wording for Cat C was always something like, 'This vehicle has been substantially repaired' iirc.

The exact wording is, 'This vehicle has been salvaged because the estimated cost of commercial repair was more than the value of the vehicle.'

Yeah, the wording for Cat C was always something like, 'This vehicle has been substantially repaired' iirc.

That is very odd. Interested to know if that's standard now for Cat D

Has it been written off more than once? They are not meant to downgrade a cat. So for example vehicle is a cat c. Can't then be written off and have a d on it. The guidelines are it stays a c or changes to a A or B.

cat d markers are not recorded on the v5c, so as stated could be a mistake. Need to do a full hpi.

Has it been written off more than once? They are not meant to downgrade a cat. So for example vehicle is a cat c. Can't then be written off and have a d on it. The guidelines are it stays a c or changes to a A or B.

cat d markers are not recorded on the v5c, so as stated could be a mistake. Need to do a full hpi.

I should have thought of this first, I guess. I've just HIPPIED it and it's come back as Cat C. I was sold it by a local fella who is buying lightly damaged cars from a local salvage yard, repairing and painting them in his bodyshop, and then punting them on. The only moment of twitchiness for me was, when buying it, he said the V5 was in the post as he'd only recently applied for it. Myself and various friends/family have used him for paintwork over the last few years, so I wasn't too worried. The key thing for me was that it was sold to me as Cat D, not C. Lo and behold, it's recorded in the logbook, and the HIPPY check confirms it.

He did mention that DVLA cocked up on a Range Rover he bought as Cat D, as when the log book came back, it was logged as a Cat A breaker only.

I guess I need to have a chat with him. I wouldn't care if it was a £300 motor, but it cost me £2.5k of my hard earned readies, and it's not strictly what I agreed to buy.

Fecking cars!

Aye, it's been confirmed that Cat C is still recorded on the V5, whereas Cat D is not recorded on the V5. So it's the same as it's always been.

As for the bloke who sold me the car, I paid an unannounced visit to him this morning, and explained that the HPI had come back as Cat C, not D as mentioned in the advert I bought the car from. He maintains that he's being honest and that it must be an insurance admin error. He said he'll get the owner of the local salvage yard (who he's mates with, and bought the car from) to phone the insurance company on Monday to find out if the Category can be changed. Apparently there is a time window in which the category CAN be changed if an admin error, but once the time window has lapsed, there's no going back.

I get the feeling that there's no going back on this one. Stay tuned.

It may sound a bit shady, but these clerical errors are common.

I have a Defender that was bought at Copart. It was hit hard in the front and I bought it as a CAT-C.

However, someone messed up because when the logbook arrived, it had no notes of that nature whatsoever.

I phoned the dvla to enquire about getting it VIC checked (when that was still necessary) and they replied that it was not an accident damaged vehicle and never been written off. Errrr ok, said I.  :?

Sounds like the seller bluffed enough to get you out of his face.

I can't imagine for a second the DVLA having a 14 day window or whatever where they go "Oh yeah, we messed that up, let's change it". The DVLA are THE LAW and are INFALLIBLE. They could reregister as a Horsey Horseless with a 27,000cc electric engine and a gross vehicle weight of 17kg and you'd still be wrong.

Getting a bit fed up with this one now. I've given the sellers mate (who is the owner of the large scale local salvage yard) a couple of days to chat to the relevant insurance company and find out if the category can be changed. Cue phone call to him late afternoon to find out what's happening.

Response was as I expected - Bert* phoned the insurance company first thing on Monday and is awaiting their final verdict. Apparently it's takes about a week.

I'll keep on driving the car until Monday, phone him then and then tell him my personal verdict. There's nothing like dicking around to put you right off a car.

* He's not really called Bert.

post-4721-0-05431300-1455131927_thumb.jpeg