Nearly a goner in the Laguna

The Main

Hello all,Jolly good to see all the excellent recent posts, this forum is always a reliable source of amusement.With the old A60 Cambridge still laid up with a knackered head, we've been pressing the '97 Renault Laguna 2.2 Diesel into constant service, despite it's 186,000 miles. Until Sunday, that is, when we were brought back to Woking from Chippenham on the back of a transporter courtesy of the AA. Problem was we lost all braking assistance while bombing down the A350 (or, rather, the wife did), and the AA man was 99% certain that the brake vaccuum pump (driven by the camshaft) is waving a white flag. I would tend to agree with him - there is still a 'pedal', although it's very hard and stopping the car is now a monumental effort. Nipped down the local Renault main dealer today (for a laugh) to find out how much a new part would be (Europart haven't got one) and got quoted £221.12 plus vat. Don't fancy that much, and the parts bloke commented that these pumps very rarely pack up, so I'm wondering if it's worth fishing around for a secondhand one.No luck so far but I have too questions:1) Is sticking a secondhand brake pump on the car a sensible thing to do or am I being stupid?2) Does anyone know of (or have) a 2.2 Diesel Laguna for breaking? Ours is a P-reg.Despite the large mileage, I'm reluctant to put the old girl in the bin just yet - she drives really well and we only changed the oil and filter last week!Any comments gratefully received!

Try this fella: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/breaking-for-spares-RENAULT-LAGUNA-2-2-tdi_W0QQitemZ320345080613

Most of the dead ones on the Bay are 1.9DTis (which really do have a gearbox-eating problem), this one seems to be a gennerwine 2.2 (although "TDI my arse").

EDIT: Bugger my product knowledge, that one is a TD. This fella, on the other hand, seems to be a proppa Renner breaker, with a phone number in his ad: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Laguna-mk1-set-of-dials-clocks-2-2-diesel-N-reg_W0QQitemZ350154338510. And he's in Reading which may be close enough to amble over to from Woking I would have thought.

Cheers for the encouragement, guysR. Welfare - I've been in touch with that bloke, he's a decent sort and is going to check whether the one he thinks he's got is still attached to the engine it was on (another cambelt victim, apparently!). He'll be happy to sell it on a 'sale or return' basis, so if it turns out to be knackered he'll take it back. So, fingers crossed and thanks for your help - I'll let you know what develops....