'93 Mondy thread - K reg base 4 sale (not mine)

egg

The t piece has been liberated! And it's looks like it didn't need replacing! Unusual. But no harm in replacing.

New one on the left. It gets pulled upward on the right hand side as you can see from the used one, which causes a split.

post-20084-0-11138100-1504028336_thumb.jpg

K44 FMC might be my favourite Mondeo. Built on 2nd February 1993, it was one of the press cars (FMC geddit?) which featured on the cover of Autocar and Motor in their March 1993 group test, as the mag was published on 17th March - car can't have been more than a month old.

It's a 1.8 GLX with Pumice trim, but what makes it particularly desirable to me was it had the best optional extras - i.e. the 2040 CD player, heated front screen and air conditioning - if I had those on my GLX I'd be a happy man.

It had 7 owners in its life, assuming the plate stuck with the car, and had it's last MOT in September 2008 at 15 years old (it needed welding the year before) at 156k miles. 

So there you go!

post-20084-0-74126700-1504098925_thumb.jpeg

post-20084-0-13181900-1504098937_thumb.jpeg

My brother had a 2.5 Ghia X auto Mk1 on a P reg. It was one of the last ones, he'd ordered it in a mad reddy pink metallic 'which looked great in the brochure', with all the toys but on 15" steel wheels.

It had one touch on all four windows.

It also had the subwoofer in the boot, cd changer and the top spec stereo.

He and it did around 180k miles together in under three years. 70k/year mainly being blasted down motorways and to give it credit it never went wrong or required anything other than massive amounts of fuel and regular servicing. It still drove like new when it was replaced by an E class.

K44FMC did indeed remain on a Mondeo with build date of 02/02/93 until the end, ETIS shows that reg on that car and if you use Blueprint to look up the VIN it comes back to that reg (a method I used to work out my old Focus had changed reg plate...)

They certainly rushed it through - 10 days from build to wearing numberplates. Wasn't the quickest of the launch press cars though, or the earliest registered...

K41FMC - 1.6LX - built 5/2/93, registered 9/2/93

K42FMC - 1.6GLX - built 3/2/93, registered 12/2/93

K43FMC - 1.6LX - built 8/2/93, registered 12/2/93

K45FMC - 1.6LX - built 8/2/93, registered 4/3/93

K46FMC - 2.0SI - built 3/2/93, registered 4/3/93

K47FMC - 2.0 Ghia - built 9/2/93, registered 4/3/93

K48FMC - 1.8GLX - built 1/3/93, registered 11/3/93

Weirdly, the VINs don't go in order, and by trial and error I've pulled out some registrations from cars in the same few days of build that weren't FMC registered.  K413GPU was also 2/2/93 for example as were a lot of other K3xxGPU and K4xxGPU cars. There's also a run of K8xxGJN cars. Both PU and JN are Essex registrations, so maybe other press or demo cars?

Sometimes taking a few dozen off the VIN is a later build date so I wonder if some were "parked" in the production line, waiting for different trim or paint treatments perhaps?

Depends if you've got any way of knowing what was a press car.

There's the whole K-FMC range (which also seems to dip into the 20s, but there's various Transits and Fiestas scattered through) which are definitely press cars. Then there's a whole load of non-personal registrations which are Essex-issued which could conceivably be press, or staff, or friends+family lease cars, but equally in the first months production there's cars that made it most of the way across the country.

I might bang out some sort of spreadsheet for a few dozen early cars and see how long they lasted. It's a shame there's no way of automating ETIS, or Regisearch etc.

Assume no FMC's have survived?

In other news, with help from YouTube, I worked out how to remove the PCV valve from behind the manifold without removing it. Again, it still rattles suggesting it was operating.

The new one was destined for a Contour, but even with postage from the US of A it was a third cheaper than from a UK dealer where it was 'special order'.

I'm dealing with these common issues and learning at the same time.

post-20084-0-00357200-1504123493_thumb.jpg

Depends if you've got any way of knowing what was a press car.

There's the whole K-FMC range (which also seems to dip into the 20s, but there's various Transits and Fiestas scattered through) which are definitely press cars. Then there's a whole load of non-personal registrations which are Essex-issued which could conceivably be press, or staff, or friends+family lease cars, but equally in the first months production there's cars that made it most of the way across the country.

I might bang out some sort of spreadsheet for a few dozen early cars and see how long they lasted. It's a shame there's no way of automating ETIS, or Regisearch etc.

Just to add to all of this, FATHA used to have a '93 2.0i Ghia, K477 SVE. Build date was 08/02/1993 and was registered 02/03/1993.

A batch of 1000 Mondeos with K*** SVE were registered in the first week or so of March 1993. They were registered in ascending trim level order, for example there were 150 or so basic models, 150 LX's, 150 GLX's etc.

I have read in the past a lot of these Mondeos were loaned to House of Commons' MP's for trialling and a few, including my dad's, ended up being used as demonstrator vehicles for various Ford dealers across the UK.

Myself and another guy managed to trace a lot of these SVE Mondeos and added them to a website called DriveArchive.

I'll do a few spot checks as I'm quite enjoying this! Not doing 1000 of them though.

One of the first off the line - K717SLB, built 5/1/93, only lasted three years. Meanwhile a car built only three weeks later sat around for nearly 18 months and got M158ALH when finally registered.

Haven't found anything still on the road yet though

/geek

Do you know if any SVE's are still going?

K329SVE, registered 2nd March 1993, is still going.

K439SVE used to live near me, but the last MOT ran out in 2015 and it has since been scrapped.

There is some discussion about the K***SVE cars, and a link to a pic of K329SVE, in the comments below my pic of K439SVE on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61090099@N04/12020986855/

The VINs on the SVE cars are often sequential, but in reverse order (as in K339SVE has the VIN immediately after K340SVE but before K338SVE), and are only a few hundred short of the first of the K**FMC cars.

Not found a single auto model, but it looks like they were making saloons for a good few weeks before popping a hatchback out