'93 Mondy thread - K reg base 4 sale (not mine)

egg

Like adw says, that's 71mph 24/7 for a week. No refuelling, no piss stops, no traffic jams.

However the presence of a GB sticker on K23FMC suggests they might have used some autobahns, so bang goes the 70mph limit. One kips on the back seat whilst the other drives, boot full of sausage rolls, both blokes so they can produce some "truckers tizer" and you only have to stop for fuel three times a day....

There were several drivers and they went all round Europe, often 3 or 4 in the car and it was a 1.6!!

There's a guy from Germany on the FB group who claims there's a Nov 92 car out there...I need proof!

There were several drivers and they went all round Europe, often 3 or 4 in the car and it was a 1.6!!

There's a guy from Germany on the FB group who claims there's a Nov 92 car out there...I need proof!

You've actually just reminded me of something.

When my dad bought SVE back in 1997 I realised that it had a very early registration date and so was intrigued to find out how early it was.

So I wrote to Ford Motor Company and they sent me a letter back saying something like "whilst your car wasn't the first off the line, it certainly was one of the earliest" - and it was also mentioned that several hundred Mondeos had already been produced for STB (Start Training Build) which commenced in November 1992.

So the theory that there is a Nov' 92 Mondeo knocking about is probably true!

Twenty third of March 1993...

Somewhere in Leicestershire

Sitting on the back of my brothers Kawasaki GPz, we had doubled up to save on petrol money, we came round a fast, blind ish corner and coming towards us was a Ford Mondeo.

It was on our side of the road and like us it wasn't exactly going slowly, brakes were applied on both sides and much swerving took place.

Collision was averted by a fairly narrow margin.

It's funny what goes through your mind at times like these, my first thought was... That's one of those new Mondeos!

Then, it's on our side of the road!

As far as I can recall, this was before the Mondeo was released to the General Public, so a very rare sight at the time.

I never liked mk1 Mondeos from that day onwards, although I do like the Facelift ones.

BTW

The reason I know the date is because my brother and I, out of respect for our Late Father (who spent most of his adult life in the RAF as an electrician, on mostly Vulcan's) were on our way to see XH558 land for the final time, the first time around.

This thread is making me want a Mondeo now!

Speaking of 1993 ones, here's a handful I have seen:

32877019100_615e0f50a4_b.jpg1993 Ford Mondeo LX. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

This one has now hit 200k. 

20521294850_8ab1cbdfd7_b.jpg1993 Ford Mondeo GLX. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Scrapped after an interesting MOT fail.

11924731673_be12a26804_b.jpg1993 Ford Mondeo GLX. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Also scrapped

6798378861_d32738ed04_b.jpg1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 LX Saloon. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Probably scrapped.

14358640788_d2afebd755_b.jpg1993 Ford Mondeo LX. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

14358577650_bf4e529f6e_b.jpg1993 Ford Mondeo LX. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

I'll end on a high though, this March 1st reg'd one is still going.

I've only just noticed the saloon and hatchback have different shaped rear lights, I'd always thought they were the same.

So did I. I might be in the minority here but I actually prefer the look of the Mk2. I still see the odd late one in run-out Zetec spec with those faux-Cosworth alloys and I think they look pretty smart when in good nick.

I've been avoiding this thread, mainly because I'm annoyed because I missed what appeared to be a really lovely example of an early Mondeo.

I left a message on the seller's answerphone, only to get a call back from the loveliest old giffer. He'd owned it from new, had it serviced at a Ford dealer every year and generally looked after it. I was ready for making a bank transfer straight away, but someone had beaten me to it with a £20 deposit.

Now keeping an eye open but naturally none look us nice as that one was  :-(