'93 Mondy thread - K reg data geek

egg

Make sure when you fit the pollen filter not to overtighten the screws on the scuttle. I did this and it cracked the screen. Fail

While it's out also check the seal round the housing, this rots then lets water into the passenger floor, if in doubt dry it then silicone seal it in. You can buy a new seal for about six quid but I find the silicone does a better job.

Yeah, I hate those scuttles, unless you take them both off and wiper arms they're a real faff to align and fit around the bonnet.

As it is I haven't got one of the clips right now, but sod it, don't know if this car is a keeper yet.

Likely water pump bearings gone or seal. Timing belt off job or chuck some K-Seal in and hope for the best. Could also be the coolant pipe if it's tracked along the undertray.

I topped up the expansion tank and it ran out pretty quickly, I'm almost certain it's coming from around the water pump pulley suggesting the pump seals/bearings as you suggested.

I topped up the expansion tank and it ran out pretty quickly, I'm almost certain it's coming from around the water pump pulley suggesting the pump seals/bearings as you suggested.

Once the bearings are fucked it pisses out of the hole provided. More usual on these though is the seal to the block goes. Id try K-Seal, used this before to good effect on a similar job. Someone will be along in a minute and I'll get shot to bits for telling you this.

This one is fighting me a bit at the moment. The rear washer wasn't working, and when I removed the washer jet the rubber seal disintegrated around it. Anyway some lying on the ground at the front found the pump was disconnected. Reconnected it and some crap came out the back. However, now I've disturbed things, both pump connections are leaking significantly at the front. Partial success, partial FAIL. Replacement washer jet seals don't seem available either.

Proper solution seems like jack it up and remove the wheel arch liner for proper access.

Arse. On my 40th birthday as well. I'm learning why it was so good that the blue one had always been garaged.

post-20084-0-67392000-1501610867_thumb.jpgpost-20084-0-93950400-1501610878_thumb.jpg

I once swapped a Mondeo washer bottle in the snow. Mental.

Anyway, you can get access to it by chucking the front section of the undertray away, in fact throw the entire undertray away. It's a waste of time and potentially hides leaks. Don't bother with new seals, doubt you'd get them, cut some appropriately thin rubber and a bit of decent silicone will do the job.

Today I found the lights on warning does work! Of course, it is when you turn the ignition key back to pos 1/2!

Anyway, I optimistically hoped some contact cleaner would solve my lack of 'one touch' driver's window. Of course it didn't, so means door trim panel off and new relay, so that can wait!

post-20084-0-65220700-1501774940_thumb.jpg

The airbag light was taped over, because it's faulty, so removed the lower dash and unplugged the control unit, so no longer have to pretend that it works, tape removed. German Mondy owner tells me this wouldn't do for a German MOT...

post-20084-0-30496400-1501775078_thumb.jpg

In other news, using the blue one today on the work commute, the radio gave up. Display is on but no sound. Reckon something has become disconnected at the back. As the radio is virtually welded to the dash, some of the fascia will need to come out again :-(.

Not a simple fix unfortunately. Either replace the clock spring in the steering wheel or a new airbag control module, and neither fix is guaranteed to work. Interestingly, the airbags are only guaranteed for about 10 years anyway, so the chances of successful deployment are small.

Not a simple fix unfortunately. Either replace the clock spring in the steering wheel or a new airbag control module, and neither fix is guaranteed to work. Interestingly, the airbags are only guaranteed for about 10 years anyway, so the chances of successful deployment are small.

Both of these sound pretty easy to me, especially if the clock spring is attached to the steering wheel and not the steering column. Considering both are probably dirt cheap, I would do it. And airbags don't just stop working, especially not after only 10 years. There's a reason its an instant MOT fail (normally...). Still up to you obviously, but I would fix it.

I worked at a Ford dealers when Mondildoes were launched. I watched some kind of marketing guff with Jackie Stewart which didn't really fire me up, then I drove one! They were way ahead of any of the competition. Because of this thread and nostalgia I'm very tempted to buy one.

Keep up the good work, I'm envious.

Egg, do you have a small wiring socket mounted in the top of that door handle (now that you have the bezel off) ?

If so put some small green bulbs in the 4 handles and they are dimly illuminated at night. My father found this out on his 93 K plate GLX, the wiring was there but not the bulbs.

I was hoping I would TRW, but there seems to be a little plastic cover but alas no bulb holder, I will check properly if I strip the door down.

I also don't have the bulb holders for the footwell lights, and legend has it I should*

This one is fighting me a bit at the moment. The rear washer wasn't working, and when I removed the washer jet the rubber seal disintegrated around it. Anyway some lying on the ground at the front found the pump was disconnected. Reconnected it and some crap came out the back. However, now I've disturbed things, both pump connections are leaking significantly at the front. Partial success, partial FAIL. Replacement washer jet seals don't seem available either.

Proper solution seems like jack it up and remove the wheel arch liner for proper access.

Arse. On my 40th birthday as well. I'm learning why it was so good that the blue one had always been garaged.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170801_185717.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20170801_185726.jpg

Can u send me a photo of washer pump ? I may have one in the garage you can have if its the same one and I live next door to a place called AutoFord, so if you need daft little things let me know - I might be able to grab some bits for ya, and airbag light being on is an MOT fail. 

Do these have a two-level switch for one touch then? Normally one-touch is just about how long you hold the switch down for, and it can be reset (turned back on) by putting the window all the way up, and then holding the up button for a few seconds.

However - I do remember once driving a car where you pressed the button a bit for normal operation, and then if you pressed it harder there was an extra "click" and it went into one touch.

Egg, do you have a small wiring socket mounted in the top of that door handle (now that you have the bezel off) ?

If so put some small green bulbs in the 4 handles and they are dimly illuminated at night. My father found this out on his 93 K plate GLX, the wiring was there but not the bulbs.

Done this on my dad's '93 Ghia. Looked TEH SEX.

In all honesty I've never known a mk1 with the flat switches to have one touch up and down, my dad had them as taxis. The mk2 has raised switches with auto on it. Mine has one touch down,push it past the depression to second stop for one touch.

@pillock, someone with more knowledge than me will have to answer that one, all I know is that it works (for now!)

The driver's window was one-touch down only, not on the up function.

Although the passenger's side can be done the same, using a relay and some basic wiring knowledge.

This website is a goldmine for Mk1 retrofitting etc..http://www.mirez.co.uk/map.htm