'93 Mondy thread - K reg base 4 sale (not mine)

egg

They use the dash covers/mats a fair bit in the US.

You never see them here in the UK, as the sun is not common and they are therefore pointless!

I've had a Dash Designs dash mat in The Volvo for the last ten years, in order to stop the cracks in the dashboard top getting worse. If I recall correctly, I had to pay $25.00 extra in order to have a RHD one made. Well worth it, though, as it's done the job admirably :)

Shep's Link-O-Matic: http://www.dashdesigns.com

This was in Asda Totton yesterday. I was going to add it to the lazy spotter thread but just decided to drop it in here instead as it looks like the one in the brochure!

post-20743-0-41689900-1502716137_thumb.jpg

My wife is getting used to me taking pictures of old chod but at this point she's going "what are you taking a picture of?" looking around genuinely not seeing the Mondeo. This must say something about the design. I guess it still doesn't look like an old car even after 20 years.

Hey genial! Les Belges do like thier 'BD' or Bandes Dessinées (Franco-Belgian comics), even now ils sont très populaire.

I reckon je dois trouver myself one of those Bandes Desinées for the Mondeo, unless you know le vendeur has another one?

Here's one http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Jeff-Broeckx-Mondeo-Publicitaire-Ford-/152639106076?hash=item2389ffec1c:g:5I4AAOSwq7JT~iLs

Re the design Yoss, while the car itself still blandly fits in, it's not really a popular type of car anymore, medium sized family hatches have been killed by cross overs and SUVs.

I can play the mk1 Mondeo spotted too

Think a few of you will recognise this one

(Well its part sierra)

attachicon.gif20170806_140513.jpg

Another fast one

attachicon.gif20170806_134231.jpg

A normal one

attachicon.gif20170806_125051.jpg

Theyre all lovely, the first one especially!! The last one I feel is let down by the mk1 Focus wheels which look too modern for it. 

I've been Ghia specing my ride bro...(cos I can't drive it)attachicon.gifIMG_20170814_192737.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20170814_192759.jpg

Think I prefer the standard grille, but good work all the same mate!

That's got me thinking. I've always wanted to see a Mondeo on late Ford Sierra Ghia wheels like these:

25691581442_240d0b2295_b.jpg

I reckon they'd suit it well.

That Sierra is lovely, and I agree, I also think they would suit it well. They sort of remind me of a Mk2 Mondeo SI wheel.

Could only find a pic of a mk1, but these are the wheels I mean:

33195a01a846c5f0edfc459292999780--spots-

That's got me thinking. I've always wanted to see a Mondeo on late Ford Sierra Ghia wheels like these:25691581442_240d0b2295_b.jpg

I reckon they'd suit it well.

A Red Estate has come up for sale wearing a a set of these, and I'd say you're right - they look quite smart, even on this really tatty one

$_86.JPG

Link if anyone's interested (looks like it'll need lots of welding though) -

https://www.gumtree.com/p/ford/mk1-mondeo-estate-1.8td-rare-/1261899197

Just puts me in mind of that red taxi Aspen one that the old boy has done 1 million miles in. 

Dont ever remember mk1 diesels being common though, or even mk2s really. Even when Mondeos mk1s were recent and common taxis most were petrols, only ever remember one diesel one driven by the father of a couple of kids I went to school with. That one was a lovely colour though, Cayman blue I think its called. And one of my pals at high schools dad had a 3 year old 98 S mk2 1.8 TD LX estate in Radiant Red, nice car at the time, not very quick though, even with a Turbo it was only about 85bhp dragging a big Mondeo along. Just to keep my aspergers knowledge going, the mk1 was M885EHS and the mk2 was S765KGB. 

• 2 weeks later...

Degreasing the cylinder head on the GLX rapidly escalated into an entire cooling system re-fresh! The chances of me getting this all back together with the constant tension clips and 24 year old pipes staying dry are slim, but I'll have a go...

First a lot of the air intake stuff has to come out, filter, air box, MAF air inlet...

post-20084-0-08100400-1503825398_thumb.jpg

While doing this, I noticed the MAF connector is useless. On early cars this is common, later ones had gold connectors. Guess what, the blue base is the same, TADTS. A gold one will need to be 'spliced' in, he says, which I will hand to an auto leccy guy. Got one from a breaker at more cost than it should have been.

post-20084-0-94886800-1503825528_thumb.jpg

The plastic stat housing was all gummed up, so in discussion with Sierraman and others decided it needed to come off completely. 3 bolts to the head only, but removing the pipe connectors was a PITA!

post-20084-0-79389900-1503825643_thumb.jpg

This is a bit of a mess...

post-20084-0-56592900-1503825702_thumb.jpg

Finally in bits, I might get a replacement housing from Stuboy's mate, but I might do with this one...

post-20084-0-81046300-1503825768_thumb.jpg

The sensor that tells the engine what to do, is original, but guess what the cheapest OEM one was sourced from junk.se in Sweden and arrived in a couple of days along with a new expansion tank cap...

More bits are coming from Sweden to refresh other aspects of the engine.

post-20084-0-10543400-1503825861_thumb.jpg

So, that's where I'm up to.  I'm also trying to remove the infamous rubber t-piece which can cause a poor idle from the PCV set up. It's clearly never been changed, and this 15 stone weakling can't 'pop' it off. I've removed the coil, but looks like I might have to actually remove the coil mount to get to it, or indeed, cut the t-piece off.

post-20084-0-94463500-1503826077_thumb.jpg

Lots of red rust in the system, so will need a flush if I can get it back together.

Anyway, in summary this is all a good learning curve for me and its quite useful to have another complete car to see how it will need to go back together!

Retr0Brite is OKfor UV damaged plastic, but it does change the plastic surface somewhat and you'll find that what's left behind turns to yellow a lot quicker than it did before. It may have taken 30 years for a home computer to go yellow, once it's retr0brited you start to see it yellow within a couple of years.

With home computers, the way around that is to leave it in a cupboard, out of sunlight (which is acceptable, since these things have gone from being on a desk in a kids bedroom to being a collectors item). With headlamp lenses, not sure you can get away with that. 

Also, I think that expansion tank is just stained - not UV damage (unless it's spent a lot of time with the bonnet up!) like when you microwave baked beans in a plastic jug and the jug goes bean-coloured. Summat to do with heat. Not sure how well Retr0brite will work. By the way, that stuff is literally just peroxide solution - there's plenty of folk have just gone to the hairdressing suppliers and bought a big tub of peroxide. The key is to not let it dry out - plenty on, and then cover it in cling film.

Also if you can, test an area first. There's some plastics that come up really white, but it makes them astonishingly brittle. One guy I saw retr0brited his computer, went to put one screw back in to reassemble and it just started shattering and falling apart. Some old MSX system I think.

(This is partly advice for the Mondeo bits, and partly for beko's vacuums)