'93 Mondy thread - K reg data geek

egg

I reckon you've absolutely nailed it buying this, it's an ace looking car for a proper bargain price. In fact, I'll stick my neck out and say these are the best looking Mondeos they ever made.

Not only that, but you could drive it anywhere/everywhere and it would still feel like a modern, useable car. These were the first Ford for yonks that drove properly. I used to hire these for work in there early-mid nineties and after a Mondeo, a Cavalier felt old and wonky and a 1.8CL Passat* absolutely dire. If I couldn't get a Mondeo from Hartford Motors (Ford), I rang the Peugeot dealer in Biscsecsester and got a 405 instead.

The 1.8di LX was a great motorway car and true 1.8i LX the perfect compromise.

Know what I'd do with the blue one? A toothbrush valet and Ebay classic cars £1295 buy it now. Chance your arm, there's a grand in that if you're patient.

*Probably the worst car I have ever driven.

Wow, just wow.

Looks absolutely top notch. Hard to believe they are now over 20 years old, still a timeless design and very well built. It's been 11 years since FATHA cooked the head on the family Mondeo. He usually isn't fussed about cars but that one he kept for 8 years and looked after it very well.

*EDIT - the yellowing in the headlights is down to the plastic filter fitted to change the beam, these yellow due to heat and general old-ness. Can still be bought from Ford IIRC.

Nice. The Mondeo was a strange vehicle in name- supposedly Ford's first car-for-all-markets, using dog-latin for "Worldly".

America got it as the mk2 in 1995, after keeping the front and totally redesigning the back. And renaming it "Contour". Then, whilst the mk2 was enjoying huge sales to hire firms, a complete facelift was introduced, making it quite ugly. After that point I think they dropped the platform. You don't see many about, and those that are around are usually in chronically bad shape having reached "giffer beater" kind of status.

I did not really like the Mondeo after the Sierra but they've aged really well. Would.

Phil

That's lovely! I think you can get replacment headlamp diffusers and pop the lamp apart in an oven if I remember rightly.

Did hundreds of miles at a time in a 1.8 Verona and never felt achey, they're the nearest thing to French seats that aren't French.

Ace.

I'd like to know that when it comes to stuff I like, my brain is on a 20-30 year delay. I was old enough to pay attention to cars when the Mondeo came out but hated them, now I think that's quite desirable. I've even started liking 80s music lately, which makes me worry that one day I'll be listening to 90s music in some kind of boring modern for fun!

Defo best version of the Mondeo.

Love this very much. Good buy. Don't see how something as an advisory can be dangerous, surely that would make it a fail?

An oil leak is a non testable item, therefore it can't fail.  I tested a BMW recently where the prop shaft joint at the gearbox was about to fly apart, the worst I could give it was an advisory with the dangerous box ticked.

Those early Mondeos are the best looking, that blue is lovely, keep on top of the repairs, maintenance and bodywork and you'll get years of cheap motoring out of it.

I remember at launch the magazines all saying the 1.6 was probably the best to drive. Since yours is a stripped out base model (let's call it a Club Sport) with less kippered bushes I reckon it'll drive gloriously.

Also a big thumbs up for the standard fit model 2005 stereo. Really nicely made piece of kit and pretty decent sounding, with a dead sexy power assisted eject function.

Seriously, give this a bit of Vulgalourization and in a couple of years this will be MASSIVELY VALUABLE.

IIRC the early 93/94 ones had cable clutch. Shit useless fact of the day.

They did - when snappage occurrs brace yourself for a new clutch.

To be fair they are an excellent car - my dad had one, I drove various company ones, I even had a contour for a hire car during my holiday to Canada in 1996. Not the ideal choice - a 4 pot auto works hard going over the canadian rockies.

Does anybody remember that metallic pinky/ orange the first ones were available in?

I even had a contour for a hire car during my holiday to Canada in 1996. Not the ideal choice - a 4 pot auto works hard going over the canadian rockies.

We had a Contour 2.0 GL auto in Florida in '95. US Fords are specc'd in a different way to ours, on the Contour you started off with GL, LX or SE and then chose option packs, so you could end up with really odd mixtures of kit. Ours (LQA49H...ahem) had electric windows all round, as well as illuminated door handles, and alloy wheels. But no rev counter.

Also the interior finish seemed massively cheaper to the touch than on the Mondeo.

Clutch change is a real pain on these, not a driveway job at all. Can be done but not easy. I had one done about 5-6 years ago come to £350 at a garage so not all the bad if it goes. Can remember a copper type colour they did them in when they came out up to the facelift. By far he worst colour was the very 1990's purple you got the mk2s in. Absolutely hideous.

A citrine one is a good buy if you can find one now as they only did them for a limited time. Usually as an Si or 4x4.

One of those cars that seem to have disappeared overnight. Not seen a mk1 mondy for ages, never mind such an early one, and perfect colour too.

They are going the exact same way as the Cortina before it, the banger boys love them for unders meetings, and they're pretty much worthless. This ones a really nice one and look how much it sold for! A scruffy one (most by now) or one with little or no MOT is worth what it weighs.

A shame really as they are really good cars, even now they make perfect dailys.

If only I had a big barn somewhere there'd be a space in it for one of these, keep it dry and solid until they're extinct then dust it off and it'll be the new Cortina!

It was a clutch that killed mine. Or rather, the second clutch - had one, started slipping a week later, garage said they would strip it down to see if it was part failure but if it wasn't they would want the labour for dropping the subframe. Suspect it was hydraulic issues but just scrapped it, CBA.

In this months Practical Classics in 'Staff Car Sagas' Matt George has bought an L reg Mondeo 1.8 GLX. His airbag light was flashing and web research says it's quite common. It is the airbag squib or 'clock spring' that needs replacing. They did the job, but that didn't cure the flashing. He found there is a multiplug for the airbag at the bottom of the steering column - this was loose and not making a good connection....