'93 Mondy thread - K reg data geek

egg

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I've been doing some thinking. My daughter is unlikely to have a school place for at least a year. The GLX is never going to get done. So it is for sale.

To be absolutely clear it is broken and will need trailering away, and has not moved from my lock-up since December 2017. I will check it is still there before I take your money :-)

So, this is an early 1993 GLX 1.6 with pumice trim with 46,000 miles on it, I'm the 2nd owner, privately owned by the same old boy from new in Wimbledon before then. L968 UGF for the history.

What it definitely needs
- Cambelt and Water pump and aux belt replacing - these parts will be supplied with the car - a Dayco belt kit and an OEM water pump + top cover gasket
- An MOT (never presented for one on my watch)
- Oil and filter
- New battery (typical ebayer!)

What it almost certainly needs
- 4 new tyres (but would probably pass an MOT)

What it may well need
- New lower suspension arms at the front

What I have already done (with Rob's help)
- Yellow headlight reflectors replaced
- Air and PCV filter replaced (OEM)
- Pollen filter replaced (OEM)
- Washer fluid connectors replaced
- New OEM rear ashtray!
- Heater resistor replaced (OEM)
- Ghia spec internal dome light
- New thermostat fitted (OEM)
- New coolant overflow pipe and I think upper rad hose (both OEM)
- Iridium spark plugs added
- Used header tank added
- Both coolant temp sensors changed with OEM parts
- New ‘t piece’
- New PCV valve (OEM)
- Cleaned the Pumice trim quite a bit
- New Coil pack
- New HT leads
- rare unbroken dash added with air vents that aren’t snapped
- New radiator drain plug

I bought the car for £300, I’ve spent £250 on parts.

The car is for sale for £225 including Cambelt kit and OEM water pump.

Revised terms now to trusted long standing shiters. You can take away the car away free on a trailer for now with the V5 in your name. If you fix it and get it through the MOT, pay me £225 (gentleman's agreement). If you don't, weigh it in and that will cover most of your transport costs. 

Extra terms: if you do end up scrapping it, I'd like a few bits back off it before you do (the new bits!)

Can only go up in valu m8, RARE pumice interior etc etc, bullshit

Hey gang.

It was supposed to be me taking this on. Sadly, no matter how I looked at it, I just couldn’t make it work. Transport costs back to mine are high and, with the ‘heritage fleet’ now SORN, I would need to have had it road legal within about 24 hours.

I hope it finds a good home - it’s a low miler in excellent spec and condition. I hope it’s final years are filled with laughter and not screaming on the oval!

I should add, other variations to the deal:

• if someone wants to come and do the cambelt and water pump with me to try and fix it, by which I mean FOR me, while I stand next to the car nodding like a prize lemon, you know my skill* levels by now surely, then you would consider yourself a 50% owner of the vehicle in any future sale. Buy equity in the car by working on it!
  • Or, if you can do the work at mates rates, you will receiving folding in your back pocket for the 3-4 hour job.

These deals would include payment for you to stay at a local airbnb if travelling. I'd be happy for you to stay with us on the Kentish Riveria, but my daughter's autism makes that a non-starter, visitors are tricky to manage right now.

Easy £180 if you weigh it in. Weighing one in tomorrow now I’ve stripped out.

Be nice to see it saved if it doesn’t want a feck load of work though. Can’t see why you couldn’t get it on the road for less than £300.

Wouldn’t worry unduly about the belt, it’s the tensioner that usually goes, the belt is quite a thick belt, they rarely go themselves it’s the tensioner that goes.

It's going on Facebook at £200, but I'm keeping the cambelt kit and water pump. Wish me luck!

God what have you let yourself in for!!!! You’ll have every chavvy wannabe banger racer from Gravesend to Romford round. I’d lose the extra £20 and take off what’s sellable and weigh it in. Anyone buying it for £200 will be racing it or running it till it collapses. In an ideal circumstance it would be saved but at £200 you will attract no end of scumbags round.

If you scrap it, I’d whip the bumpers off, they’ll sell cause Mk1 bumpers are scarce, interior should fetch a few quid if it’s mint, then strip it mechanically for a spares back up for your other one. In a sense you’ve got opportunity to strip it as a source of spares for the base. Stuff like spare good radiators, alternators etc are always handy to have in. Fuck getting some tit round for £200 when you could have a hoard of spares then £180 at the end from the scrap man and you’ve saved a shed load of hassle.

Bit off topic, but. I insured this C70 I have with AXA, and I can thoroughly recommend them.

I've insured 2 cars with them so far, and I haven't even spoken to them yet.

To change cars on your policy, you just pull up your details online, next to your current car there's a little box which says change, click on that and just enter your new car details. No charge, hassle free, just how you want it.

She's living somewhere far nicer now, egg old chap.

My wife's a Bethnal Green girl, and I'm a Mile End bloke. Proper cock-a-knees.

Yep, as with many Romford folk, my wife has a Bethnal Green heritage on both sides of her family.

That said, a bit of me too really, one of my 3 x grandad's was a watchmaker in Bethnal Green in the 1840s-1860s.

I don't need this, and I wouldn't be a good custodian of it, but I can provide a driveway in SE London (Catford, easy to get to from the A2/A20/South Circular) and spannering support to do the work if someone can get it to me. Never attempted a cambelt before but can't be that hard, I reckon I could manage the lower arms no probs. Oil and filter is obviously a piece of piss, I have a Pela. There's a good (read lenient, in my experience) MOT station a mile up the road, and I could bung it on my trade policy to drive it up there when it's ready.

Facebook sniff killed by transport costs...

In other news, to give the old boy down the front something to do, the base has gone in for oil and filter change and fuel filter. Both have been on my to do list for too long...

post-20084-0-36932500-1539333562_thumb.jpg

And, his place IS almost on the seafront...

post-20084-0-11324000-1539333609_thumb.jpg

Oh, while we're at it, have some Herne Bay shop shite!

post-20084-0-89056100-1539333651_thumb.jpg

Given how difficult some bits are to get now for them I’d definitely be tempted to break it. That’s the way to run a car cheaply long term, having a spares stash.

Indeed, Facebook guy still wants the interior if I break it...

I took off one last week. PAS pipe work, PAS Pump, Alternator, Starter, Radiator, Expansion tank, Coil, Battery, Throttle body, injector rail, blower motor, all the hoses, ICV, all the lights (flogged the tail lamps on for £30) good front bumper. Various other bits and bobs that break.

Gave £200 for the car, got probably £50-60 for the bits I didn’t need then weighed it in for £180. So didn’t cost anything to do. Still got the manifold to sell, it’s one of the funny shape ones that are extremely difficult to get hold of, so something else that could save a car.

If you set a day aside it’s easy to strip the bits. Chop straight through the loom to get bits out, I didn’t drain the oil but I dropped the coolant and PAS fluid to get the parts off, poured all that into the tank which serves as a suitable place to get rid of it. Rear bumpers quite easy to take off, front a bit more of a pain, there’s these captive nuts in the inside of the wing. If you whip the arch liner out a bit you can grip them with a pair of mole grips.

Totally unhelpful comment alert, but it would be a crying shame to break it though I appreciate sometimes that is the way it has to go. How long before these start attracting scene tax? With spec and mileage like that it can't be too long.

Looks like it has the potential to be a cracking modern classic for someone, GLWTS.

Yeah I can understand that.

I recently sold a car for a family member. Was advertised at £1750. Sold within a couple of weeks in the end, though one particular "buyer" stood out. He travelled a long way to see it then announced he might go to look at another (completely different) car that was even further away, all the time telling use that he "needed" a car asap and had no time to look at them. WTF man? If you're looking at a car then at least be fairly sure that you want an Astra/Focus or whatever it is, even if not this particular example.

This guy took up a good 40 minutes on several phone calls, a load of messages then spent 45 minutes looking at it but didn't want to test drive. One reason he wasn't keen was due to the colour of the factory primer which is light coloured and the car was dark coloured so any scratches would be obvious. Ok.... but there weren't really any scratches. All the while telling us he wasn't a time waster. Nice enough guy, but I'd disagree. Plus, he wanted to talk money in detail before he'd even seen it. Tiring, particularly given that it was an excellent example, just serviced/MOT'd/recent cambelt etc.