'93 Mondy thread - K reg data geek

egg

Some people on here think the shiters golden rule is 'unless totally fucked don't change anything'....well I'm getting payback for changing the PAS fluid.

There is a slow leak at the pressure switch. I just removed the PAS cap and released a bit of pressure. Do you think I should change the switch anyway? Also, had poor idle the other day, might be linked?

post-20084-0-54284700-1530793966_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have the PAS switch to change, but in priority* order, I had also got a cracked sail. Two min job to replace. In one of Egg's interesting Mondeo facts you might note that the Mk2 has a sealed sail - through which no air could pass. I wonder why Ford deemed this vent no longer necessary when the car was facelifted?

post-20084-0-86227700-1532100981_thumb.jpg

What a Mondy keeps under her sails...

post-20084-0-04975100-1532101000_thumb.jpg

post-20084-0-03112900-1532101021_thumb.jpg

MK2 sail for comparison - known 'upgrade' :-)

s-l1600.jpg

I need a 15mm spanner to remove the PAS switch. Guess what, I don't have one! (Yay, excuse for motor factors trip on Saturday morning)

But I do have a 14mm, so could swap over the offside wiper arm for a NOS one from ebay. Why not just paint the old one? Because this is the bASe, what it wants, it gets!! Anyway, the screw cover was damaged and ruined by UV anyway, and price was reasonable.

This does not remove the inherent 'wobbler drip' where there is a space between the two wipers though...

post-20084-0-32710400-1532114953_thumb.jpg

post-20084-0-23629200-1532114989_thumb.jpg

A replacement used PAS switch was sourced and attached to the car, and it was continuing to leak as documented on the 'ask a shiter' thread.  Time to stop messing about and fork out for a new one. OEM is £56, but intermotor was sourced for a more realistic £24. Fitted now the sun has relented, and fingers crossed the leak has now been plugged.

At least it is easily accessible.

post-20084-0-95189800-1532458009_thumb.jpg

post-20084-0-76517800-1532458021_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I picked this up today. It is the rear seat out of a 94 Ghia, which was going in a skip if I didn't get it. Why was it worth saving? Well, 'cos Ghia it has a centre armrest and moulded headrests which would give my 7 year old extra head support. Base does not have head supports. So I may fit this in the base for a bit (6 bolts or so really, about 45 mins work even with my incompetence to swap over). Of course temporary, I'm keeping this base-y long term!

Anyway, in other nerd notes - these seats are Atlantis blue (broadly same colour as my base interior) which was ONLY fitted to Java Blue Ghias, most Ghias got Raven/Pumice trim (or leather of course). So there you go. 

post-20084-0-97022400-1536174581_thumb.jpg

In my ongoing mission to own all the partz for the Mk1 Mondeo, yesterday Robt kindly picked up a lightly used exhaust (replacement cat and mid section) which I won for £20 on ebay. Just need to buy a rear box and then can replace the system on the base at some point in the nearish future. 

post-20084-0-28742100-1536399313_thumb.jpg

Ok, I've been doing some thinking. My daughter is unlikely to have a school place for at least a year. The GLX is never going to get done. So it is for sale.

To be absolutely clear it is broken and will need trailering away, and has not moved from my lock-up since December 2017. I will check it is still there before I take your money :-)

So, this is an early 1993 GLX 1.6 with pumice trim with 46,000 miles on it, I'm the 2nd owner, privately owned by the same old boy from new in Wimbledon before then. L968 UGF for the history.

What it definitely needs

- Cambelt and Water pump and aux belt replacing - these parts will be supplied with the car - a Dayco belt kit and an OEM water pump + top cover gasket

- An MOT (never presented for one on my watch)

- Oil and filter

- New battery (typical ebayer!)

What it almost certainly needs

- 4 new tyres (but would probably pass an MOT)

What it may well need

- New lower suspension arms at the front

What I have already done (with Rob's help)

- Yellow headlight reflectors replaced

- Air and PCV filter replaced (OEM)

- Pollen filter replaced (OEM)

- Washer fluid connectors replaced

- New OEM rear ashtray!

- Heater resistor replaced (OEM)

- Ghia spec internal dome light

- New thermostat fitted (OEM)

- New coolant overflow pipe and I think upper rad hose (both OEM)

- Iridium spark plugs added

- Used header tank added

- Both coolant temp sensors changed with OEM parts

- New ‘t piece’

- New PCV valve (OEM)

- Cleaned the Pumice trim quite a bit

- New Coil pack

- New HT leads

- rare unbroken dash added with air vents that aren’t snapped

- New radiator drain plug

I bought the car for £300, I’ve spent £250 on parts.

The car is for sale for £225 including Cambelt kit and OEM water pump.

Found some pumice floor mats in the one I’m breaking today. Need a good clean but if pumice floor mats are your thing drop us a line

Cheers, can you hold on to them for a bit please, as I think the potential new owner would like these.