That MOT history online checker thingy

laser wheels

Also, the recent Benz I bought has an impeccable British MoT history and an almost fully stamped service book.

This doesn't make up for the fact that it's one of the most dismal wrecks I ever had the privilege* to own.

Now what?

Stop trusting the internet, throw your goddamn telly out of the window, and start trusting your gut feeling.

£3000!!!!!! Jesus! I'm talking £7-800 is going some for me. There's so much choice these days where £1000 can get you a really good car, that you can be picky about what you look at.

Saying all this, I looked at the fail sheet on the previous Mondeo I had, I sacked it off as it wanted a downpipe that was only fitted to a run of Mk2 Mondeos at the time they facelifted them. Consequently a replacement was £250, s/h was unobtainable. Anyway I digress, the test ran out 2 month after I sold it. It failed, so I now see that it failed on rust to the sills - which were solid (I'd know as 3 months earlier I'd waxoyled them). Similarly they said the wheel bearing was shot, it must have had a fucking hard 2 months that's all I can say.

Well well well...

I had a quiet day at work and browsed all my previous cars histories, nothing too untoward.

One guy at work asks me to check his new motor he picked up for £6k, a 2007 320d Coupe with only 54k on the clock...

...except the 2014 MOT had the mileage listed as 172,000 miles, and the previous ones tally up to that amount.

Tick, tock.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well well well...

I had a quiet day at work and browsed all my previous cars histories, nothing too untoward.

One guy at work asks me to check his new motor he picked up for £6k, a 2007 320d Coupe with only 54k on the clock...

...except the 2014 MOT had the mileage listed as 172,000 miles, and the previous ones tally up to that amount.

Tick, tock.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The current MOT stickyfoot details the most recent, and last 3-4 years of mileages though, so he would have already known, Shirley?

Trim yes, that was always easy to swap. But I thought the Ecu was hard wired. That was at least the case with my Citroen c5- changing the speedo for one with a lower mileage ( eg if it died) then displayed the mileage of whichever was the highest to prevent this sort of malarchy.

Anyway, yes, I do feel sorry for th guy, I didn't mean otherwise. My incredulity is really to do with the evidence that this is still going on,

• 1 month later...

Check This >>> NA57 AVM, PROTON

Err.... notorious for Rear w'brg... Front w'brg...

When the car was new (mine is 07 and new to market 05) I stripped out the rear bearings to find out what the sizes were & did some Webbie Mining to find the Fwb is same as Chevvy AVEO.

The dealer refitted rear bearings 3 times under warranty.... manual says torque up cones = crack fail. I redid mine and light nip = same set for 30k.

With warranty servicing they take the drum off for brakes and redo the big nut... hence failures!

mine has 86k... this guy doesn't go far..... probably terrified his wheels will pop off :-P

TS

I thought it was supposed to be difficult to clock modern cars? And anyone who can't spot an extra 120,000miles of wear really had the wool pulled over their eyes.

Its the other way round. Some are harder than others though. The mileage is stored in memory on a ECU. Some store it in the dash (e.g. Renault, older VAG), some store it in the ECU and some store it in several places (e.g. PSA).

Most cars can have it changed by simply plugging into the diagnostic port, connecting, reading the existing milage, changing the mileage, hit done and then disconnect. Others require the parts removed, disassembling the control module and programming it directly.

But yeah, once you've done that, it's incredibly hard for anyone to tell. Unlike mechanical dashes where numbers don't line up, marks from clocks being removed, etc.

There are mileage reprogramming tools out there that do many brands and have a big screen to do it all on. Literally plug in, change mileage and disconnect - in less than 5 minutes.

Some ford stuff (focus and transit mainly) stores the mileage in the clocks, and if you swap the clocks you end up showing the donor mileage. Because these models also break their clocks regularly, there are lots around with incorrect mileage showing!

This is why the sale fell through on the focus. The clocks say 55,000 but the MoT history says 108,000. I don't care, but to the buyer that was OMGCLOKKKED Quentin Wilson Rouge Traders run away time.

The Scenic II clocks are notorious for dying. Renault did a "goodwill" replacement of £150 for a new set, which reset the mileage to zero. Thus there appears to be many low mileage Scenic II about, when in reality they've effectively had their mileages reset by a Renault dealer...