Nearly crashed today

j-j

So there I was, M80 near Stirling, inside lane approaching a junction where another 2 lane dual carriageway joins the M80 to make a 4 lane baddy. I move out to the outside lane to allow the joining dudes and dudettes space and all seems OK. But what's this? A dudette in a newish Fiesta thing continues to drift over the 3rd lane and towards me in the outside lane - I'm maybe only really 5mph faster than she at this stage but she continues to drift towards my LH side - no signalling - not a look, nowt.Just about to hit when I drop the anchors while blasting the horn to which she shits it, waves around her hands and goes back to the 3rd lane but accelerates. The Black Mk6 Golf behind me had nearly ran into the back of me too. They were spazzy too - gaining on me as the Fiesta nearly collided. One of those cosmic situations where I was nearly ended due to think chimps with a licence..Sorry, just thought I'd share my shit. About a mile along the same stretch an RX7 had hit the barrier and spun closing one lane. Was this amateur night?

Ah, I almost did a similar thing on the M6 once, having lost a Volkswagen Sharan in my blind spot. Didn't realise my blind spot was that big! Gawd I felt like an idiot... (there, that's the view of the other side!).I do hate it when trucks seem to lose the ability to keep in lane and start drifting at you. Scary in a 2CV, TERRIFYING in a Mini!EDIT - should have mentioned, I did at least indicate, but I was trying to move two lanes across in one go...

Dolly, I know where you're coming from. Back in 1999, I was in a town called Strabane, on a B road. It was one of those days where it had rained just enough to leave the road slick, but not enough to clean it.li'l old me driving in my then new Punto Sporting was greeted round the next right hander by an old shitbox rigid truck from the Irish Republic, going sideways, driven by some pikey.I could:a. Let him kill meb. Let him kill mec. Mount the bank, smash a hole in the hedge and hopefully live.I chose ©, and hit what must have been the softest grass bank on God's green earth. No damage. Pikey had fucked off by this stage.Having got out of the car (which was perched nicely, you understand) I was lucky enough to have two blokes in a Tranny stop and offer to tow me down off the bank.Classic stuff then ensued - three car rubbernecker pileup on the other side of the road, THEN another dozy bint, who was rubbernecking the other crash, rear-ended my Punto.Fucking amateurs indeed!

should have mentioned, I did at least indicate, but I was trying to move two lanes across in one go...

- yea at least you did signal - this one didn't even turn to look ( not even peripherally!) - my guess is that I was in her blind spot and that she only used a glance in the side mirror at most. Of course, I'm being kind there!!! But in all honesty it really looked like she just drifted over 3 lanes chancing it that no one was there...

rubbernecker

God, I hate that - a quick glance sure but actually looking at accidents and not at the road? what goes on in the head there?? - actually don't answer that! Other pet peeves on the road:Those who signal to pull out from either LH lane or parked but don't actually look to see anyone's signal to pull out! - flashing your lights and they remain signalling and doing nowt.Outside lane hogs that cruise at a constant (but SLIGHTLY faster speed) in a constant line preventing you from either overtaking while stuck behind a captain slow or unable to allow space for a whole line of cars joining from a slip road...

Happened to me in the middle of the night on the M3 a few years ago...was approaching the slip lanes for the Fleet services, moved to the middle lane as a car was on the slip road to join the m-way and she just went straight across lane 1 into lane 2 at 50mph right in front of me doing 75. Can't have looked at all and unbelievably gave me the middle finger when I tooted her!

One Christmas eve I was on my way out last minute shopping, when I was on the A40 in the inside lane. All good till somebody in the OUTSIDE lane decides to play chicken, in a wild attempt to leave at the next exit. How they missed me I have no idea, I braked so hard the smoke carried across all three lanes, and I ended up with all six wheels on the pavement inches away from a massive sign. If there had been a pedestrian there they would have been a grease spot. When I had checked I was still alive and the van was in one piece, I had to reverse to get far enough away fro the sign to pull out.