Valeting / Detailing / two bucket wronguns

Matt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll just leave this here -

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=81391

[runs away]

wasn't he the twat that pulled a Brand new car apart then threatened to Reject it cos someone at the factory had put a few felt tip marks under carpets etc?????

• 2 weeks later...

Recently treated myself to a Machine Polisher, been wanting one for years...so flurry on internet trawling saw me purchase a Silverline 1200w sander/polisher from Amazon

$_86.JPG

So advise on using it for A - headlamp fettling, and B - sorting out few marks on Skoda and Fiat..

I have T cut, as well as Cutting paste..many thanks

With a rotary, you need to be very careful not to burn through the paintwork or create excessive heat. Also their quite hard to hold steady, and they fling polish everywhere if your not careful. Be careful with your masking off as well, as if you so much as breathe on a bit of trim on setting 4 (I have the same polisher) you'll damage it!

Great fun though, get good at it and the results are satisfying!

This is a good read - http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66024 (you'll need whatver the photobucket fix extension is for your browser though)

Having used a rotary and a DA, A DA is ace for not too bad paintwork, light swirls and general gloss enhancement, but you need a rotary to remove damage.

It's been far too long since I've used one on a car mind!

Not really a stupid question...

However a slightly pedantic answer is available.

DA all day, and change the 's' to a 'c'. :-)

one of those that doesn't look right no matter how i spell it....plus my lappy has an american spell checker - even though its set to English UK...given up looking at the underlined words now especially colour and assorted similar words!!

my mates got the same buffer and I've used it loads, I can get an OK shine on even quite shit paint but can't help but sling compound everywhere.

My old 106 was covered in it and I left it on for a few days til it set solid. Don't do what I did! It was that bad and baked on everything that I really couldn't shift it even with thinners and scotchbrite.

A DA polisher would be more forgiving and less likely to just fire your farecla G3 over everything within a 10 mile radius.

All I can give as advice is to keep the panel wet and don't use much compound. Try and get a "rhythm" and don't let the polisher spin freely, and try to keep the pad as flat as possible. You can't usually go 100% flat as it just skates all over the place, but just a very slight tip on one direction will keep all its wandering force in that same direction, I usually let the weight of the motor push the back end down a bit, that seems most predicable.