Valeting / Detailing / two bucket wronguns

Matt

door shuts, I pressure wash them! open the door, fire the washer up onto the panel next to the door, line up the edge of the jet so it misses the door seal and run it across and up the pillar. then spray cleaner, brush lots then rinse again. then just dry it eith the towel whwn you do the rest of the car

I almost tried this today, but bottled out in case the electrics in the door didn't like it (XM so French electrics). However after faffing about spraying with G101 & a brush getting no where, I may have to try it anyway some time!

Next time you do this, could you make a video clip, I still have visions of swamping the interior!

I used to use the Polish car wash for £5 and they did a good job, but then I found a different, more Eastern European one for £10 and they did a better job.

Due to me selling the rockhard bastard and the seats are watermarked (see above) and cleaning glass is impossible. So, i'm spending my money on a man.

£60, I didn't even like typing that number in, but it needs to be done.  :?

I almost tried this today, but bottled out in case the electrics in the door didn't like it (XM so French electrics). However after faffing about spraying with G101 & a brush getting no where, I may have to try it anyway some time!

Next time you do this, could you make a video clip, I still have visions of swamping the interior!

I did my XM many times!

The trick is to start the pressure washer away from the door shut, so you can see where the edge of the jet is. That, and angle it down, so when the jet hits the door dhut, it bounces away from the inside and off the door seal.

I'm not saying you may get things a bit damp, but it'll only be a light mist rather than the full force of Karchers finest on the window switches!

Practise on the windows, see if you can bounce the pressure washer spray off the window seals, trying to keep the window fairly dry.

I'll do a video the next time I'm out, but it's a bit tricky for me, as I use the rotating patio cleaner (as it's not too harsh on my nilfisk, that and the 'jet' attachment doesn't work...). Still do-able though, but then getting the 'dumb' doorcard of the meriva or zx wet isn't the end of the world for me!

cleaning glass is impossible.

Cleaning glass is the easiest bit. Dead easy, 10 mins to do all the glass inside and out.

You'll need whatever spray glass cleaner you can find and a decent amount of blue roll. Don't use cloth.

Do the outside of the windows first. Spray a fair bit of glass cleaner on and wipe it all over the window with the blue roll. Spread your fingers out and cover the largest surface area you can with the blue roll. There's no point whatsoever in using little soggy bits of paper, get the largest area you can cover with your hand. Then get a dry bit of blue roll and wipe off. Same technique, largest area you can cover with your hand. Change the bit of blue roll as soon as it is slightly damp. If the windows are properly minging it's an idea to use vertical strokes on the outside and horizontal ones on the inside - that way if you miss a bit you know which side to clean.

Most European type car washes use cloths but that's merely because they'd get through tons of blue roll. Winds me up because I hate streaky windows and windows that steam up in the winter, using the blue roll method greatly reduces the amount of time spent waiting for the windscreen to demist.

its not bad though. Another go would see it mint by the looks of it!

How wet did the foam go? The only time I shampooed the seats in a car they were very damp. I got a boxed Hoover Aquajet from the car boot and did the Xm seats. They changed colour! I then sold the vac for £100... The seats in the Meriva need doing in the summer their fucked!

• 1 year later...

Though i would set up a thread where us odd folk can post about car cleaning, without filling up brens clay thread. There seems to be a few folk on here now that like a clean motor.

I have been doing a bit to the 75 recently, wheels off and arches cleaned out. Calipers painted and backs of the wheels cleaned. Used Autosmart red7 on the wheels, and cleaned arches with G101 and dressed with Finish. Calipers painted with silver hammerite. One done three to go.

post-18138-0-81001600-1490794901_thumb.jpg

Both, although it's an excellent cleaner! I've ordered another 5l from my local autosmart rep.

I used a fairly old mixed bottle of it on the Xantia and it failed to shift the few mm thick sludge of cabbage juice around the filler neck, but I think that needed it neat. For general cleaning though, its ace!

Unfortunately because of where we stay a pressure washer and snow foam lance are a no go so I need to to it the old fashioned way with buckets upon buckets of water.

My new cleaning stuff order was dispatched this morning so expect to see loads of pics of my car in various states of cleanliness next week!!

Will be interesting to see how poor boys apc and degreaser compares with autosmart g101 as well.

Shumarialto, how do you apply red7? the wheels on the Saab cake up with brake dust really badly (cheapy Pagid pads) and are a sod to clean. Baby wipes does it eventually but its hard work.

Is it expensive?

Doing it by hand with wipes or with a rag is a very labour intensive way of doing it... Rinse wheel to remove loose dirt, spray wheel cleaner on, allow it to dwell (some will change colour), agitate with a detailing brush and wheel brushes and rinse again.

Both, although it's an excellent cleaner! I've ordered another 5l from my local autosmart rep.

I used a fairly old mixed bottle of it on the Xantia and it failed to shift the few mm thick sludge of cabbage juice around the filler neck, but I think that needed it neat. For general cleaning though, its ace!

Autosmart chap said to me neat was not as good as mixed. Try it with warm water, shifted lots of oil from my rialto engine bay.

Shumarialto, how do you apply red7? the wheels on the Saab cake up with brake dust really badly (cheapy Pagid pads) and are a sod to clean. Baby wipes does it eventually but its hard work.

Is it expensive?

I have mine in a spray bottle, it clings well and you leave it to do its thing, then use a wheel brush to clean , then rinse off. Think its about £25ish in 5l so great value. Autosmart sell from trucks, my local chap is great and i meet him when it suits him, not all sell to the public bu the chap in my area is spot on.

Sounds good may have to try it under the hondas wheel arches it may shift the grime a bit. The engine bay is disgustingly filthy not sure about doing it with all the electric bits.

I think it's less of a concern than most think. I've done my car a couple of times without doing anything special. That said Iamnotanexpertandyoudothisatyourownrisk. I did it by spraying the engine bay down with de-greaser, let it dwell and rinse down with power washer but never holding it still for long especially near distributors etc. Let engine warm up with the bonnet open then go for a drive around.

Guest Breadvan72

Vauxhall detailinz YO thread TL/DR

Some bloke spends approx 27 years detailing a POS shopping car, including polishing the insides of the valve caps using laser technology and distilled Zebra jizz potions.  Car then gets sold to some other bloke who strips it down and uses it as a track slag. 

Guest Breadvan72

My solution?  Romanians.

Hope the OMGBREXITFUCUP won't ruin all the car washes. I demand that Theresa May guarantees the rights of all Romanians to do minimum wage car washing for lazy twats like me. 

"You want air freshener  Boss?"

Romanian-workers-at-Glossop-Bodycheck-ca

Vauxhall detailinz YO thread TL/DR

Some bloke spends approx 27 years detailing a POS shopping car, including polishing the insides of the valve caps using laser technology and distilled Zebra jizz potions.  Car then gets sold to some other bloke who strips it down and uses it as a track slag. 

I remember that thread. It is hilarious to read that it has ended up a track car!

I fancy a snow foam attachment, I have a cheap crap pressure washer to hook it up to.

What's a half decent cheapo one, and what's a good foam to use.

I have a snow foam attachment,for my Karcher washer.The amount of wash shampoo that is used is somthing else so i have stopped using it.