Dollywobbler's Prelude - Re-Roffle WINNAH!

dollywobbler

God speed, sir.

What a joyously different journey it would be if only I could get my brilliant* plan for a Mumbles-to-Minehead ferry off the ground.

I'm still waiting for the Barry to Minehead hovercraft service to start up again

Whatever you do, don't get out at Cheltenham.  Bad things always happen in Cheltenham, at least they do to me.

Me too, I had to work there for a couple of years.

Always be sure to buy your cars at night. In the dark.

Made it to Bideford fine, though the gearbox is hunting around a bit at speed. Feels like the torque converter is not quite locking in. Oddly, it tends to engage if you give it more throttle. I'll see how it behaves on the journey home tomorrow. Don't stress though Phil, I still like it!

post-3690-0-58618700-1453233965_thumb.jpg

:-( Arsebiscuits, it seemed so much better after the fluid was changed.  I hope it's not going to be too much of a pain, if it needs work let me know and we'll sort something out.

All I can think is perhaps the fluid's still a bit low, might be worth checking it hot.  

Glad you like it anyway, I reckon it's going to be brilliant to push on over the Welsh mountain roads.

This low sun is a pain in the arse. Now at the fabulous Gloucester Services, which is Tebay for Southerners. Over 110 miles and all is well. 55mph is the problem area for the transmission so I reckon that's just how it is. Faster or slower, it's more consistent. I've been blasting along at motorway speeds and it has been superb. Stop stressing Phil.

It really is staggering what you can get for the money these days.

post-3690-0-07911800-1453291016_thumb.jpg

Actually, the lumbar support is in the wrong place for me. Adjustable, but it didn't help. I was a bit sore after several hours. Could just be me though. The XM doesn't have enough lumbar support at all and I often feel achy after many hours.

Anyway, there was radio silence because there's no mobile reception at my mate Pete's in Hereford. Here's two very different 2CVs that I drove last year.

12410580_10153903912243200_5879314153427

It was perishing!

12418087_10153904140643200_6190149386891

Nice and warm in the workshop, where Pete dug out a couple of decent barrels, found a pair of really nice pistons, honed the barrels and even slotted the pistons in - they can just about be fitted with the arse end of the piston sticking out of the barrel. He also dug out a couple of driveshafts and fitted new gaiters so I can cure the Dyane's horrible cornering clonk. Plus we talked a load of old shite, so I lost a few hours there.

Back to the journey and the miles continued to be munched in a very pleasing manner. The torque converter is now locking up very nicely at about 52mph. Grand. Got back home a short while ago, but it's very hard to take photos of a black car at night. Imagine Metallica's Black album and you get the idea.

I do know that getting a decent shot of these dials is going to be tricky.

12592291_10153904142248200_3403153355685

First impressions then? Goes well, seems very grippy, steering is nicely weighted and the ride is shit. I'm used to better. It isn't quite as bad as the Nippa, but that's hardly praise. I think I like it though.

On the 4ws ones is it actually a mechanical linkage that turns the rear wheels based on what the front wheels are doing or is it a system in the rear suspension that just allows the wheels to follow on?

Anyway I love these things. I liked them when the came the shape, digital dash just seemed so modern at the time.

I shall be grateful that isn't a fancy pants one then! No VTEC YO even. I do like the sunroof. It seems very good at not causing buffeting. Even at 70mph. I dislike the engine noise though. Not a nice noise and it's bloody loud if you hoof it. I solved this problem by not hoofing it. It still picks up speed well enough. It's a bit odd, as it feels tight and up for a hoon in the bends, but the gearbox really is pretty lazy. Sports mode does liven it up but to be honest, there's so much ice about that I didn't feel like exploring its potential. 

The early accord 4ws was a mechanical rear rack but that shape prelude was an electronic power steering system with far too many sensors for its own good . We used to dread them coming in

Yeh I think the previous one with pop up lights was mechanical