Kiltox's 1997 Rover 216 Cabriolet (30/05 - Fixery)

Kiltox

Went with no grease in the end

Electronic parking brake had a shit fit because I'd used the emergency release to get it off to service the brakes - wonder if there's a more elegant way to do that in future

Ds150e has an option to release it. Other way I've seen my mechanic do it, is when stopping the car, let it engage and then release the handbrake again - but leaving the card in.

Or put it in diagnostic mode (key in slot, 10 seconds or so on start button without pressing pedals), then release EPB and then double tap start button to stop diagnostic mode. Don't leave it in diagnostic mode, as everything is active (including power steering) as it flattens the battery.

If you pull the release, it moans a bit but once you activate and release it a couple of times it's all merry again. Stores a code internally as manually activated, but doesn't show warning light once back to normal.

New engine in all its oily glory

post-17393-0-69466000-1457988305_thumb.jpeg

Clutch is date stamped 2012 and looks OK so I might get away without changing it although might still do so to be on the safe side

Need to replace the sump and rocker cover gasket. Not keen on the push fit oil filler cap on this slightly older engine but I don't think the rocker covers are interchangeable :(

Scenic has gone another day without shitting itself - I was stuck in traffic for about an hour this morning expecting it to overheat or something and it was perfect.

Clicking from the steering rack is making me increasingly nervous though - I know it's been doing it for a couple of years but it still isn't right.  Going to check this out http://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18029&sid=896d4e29403802e9b0a545b9dc83afe3&start=15 first.

Scenic has gone another day without shitting itself - I was stuck in traffic for about an hour this morning expecting it to overheat or something and it was perfect.

Clicking from the steering rack is making me increasingly nervous though - I know it's been doing it for a couple of years but it still isn't right.  Going to check this out http://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18029&sid=896d4e29403802e9b0a545b9dc83afe3&start=15 first.

Those bolts were tightened when it was up on the lift at the garage I use, to check out the wheel bearings. Managed to get a fair bit of tightening up with a ratchet, which quietened down some of the clicking to what it is now. Maybe you might be able to get it a bit tighter. Not really enough access to get a torque wrench in there easily though. Couldn't see any appreciable play in the rack either.

See this though: http://www.uas-bg.com/meganii/eng/4572A.pdf

The Scenic power steering is all electric - so all the assistance gubbins is around the steering wheel. This means the rack has no hydro lines or similar going into it - which makes it a bit cheaper to buy. No idea what access is like to remove it though.

Might also be worth double checking to see where the clicking is coming from - if its outside or actually inside.

Funny, I was never overly concerned about the clicking. The wheel bearing is the thing that I was most nervous about! I guess because there was no play, the wheels turned smoothly and nothing else untoward that could be seen/felt.

Haven't had time to look into it further - got a full house again fixing my FiL's Picasso ahead of a MoT retest next week

post-17393-0-10933500-1458490177_thumb.jpeg

Fixed the only failure item in about 5 minutes (loose brake hose) but the exhaust is blowing slightly at the front. Fixings are bollocksed so I'll need to get new ones tomorrow

Just waiting for the air con to be regassed on the Scenic - place your bets now on whether it'll be a success

Had the Saab in to "were the boys to trust" today for a regas- I'd checked the compressor was working by bridging the relay for a second and listening for the clunk, then killed some kittens by pressing the valve, got a faint pffft so knew the system still held a little pressure- regas went smoothly and now aircon is icy cold.

Give the compressor a few clunks with a hammer- the clutch may be stuck..aircon really isn't that complicated and there are a few basic checks to make before getting rodgered for ££££££'s

then killed some kittens by pressing the valve, got a faint pffft so knew the system still held a little pressure

That's illegal to do.

However feel free to buy this air duster (and many more like that) that contains 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane and spray to your hearts content legally.

1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane is HFC-134a - the exact same gas that is in your air-con system... ! Crazy eh?

You're not going to tell on me are you? I let about a sparrows fart out. In a garage environment you get busted for a gram of CFC's but it's quite legal and respected to let out a room full of last nights Biriyani.

Bloody EU.

That's what I meant. Its illegal to do that on your air-con system, but perfectly legal to squirt that gas everywhere with an air duster.

Temperatures have dropped a bit again so I'm less arsed about the air con - really must do some proper diagnosis of the clutch/compressor/wiring when I get a minute

Just had a thought! The external temperature sensor doesn't work. I wonder if that is causing the problem??

I can't find any documentation to say either way, but I know some aircon systems won't enable the aircon if its too cold outside.

The external temperature sensor is in the drivers wingmirror. Remove the glass from it (requires a good pull). Might be some screws to remove the back plastic (can't remember). Push the tabs in to remove the front plastic cover. You'll see the sensor at the bottom. This will need cutting off and a replacement sensor crimped onto these leads.

New sensors are like a tenner off eBay. When it works, you'll get an external temperature appear above the clock on the dashboard.

The mirror glass should move - well it used to lol! The folding mechanism obviously doesn't work on that side though. I did have a look at that and get some PTFE spray down there to no avail. It does try to fold, but the physical resistance seems to be too great for it.

As for the mirror folding all the way backwards as well as forwards, that's supposed to happen by design.