Kiltox's 1997 Rover 216 Cabriolet (30/05 - Fixery)

Kiltox

First off was rough running - surging at idle really badly (2k plus rpm)

Got some pez then parked it up to have a smoke and check it's levels. Topped up the water (has a leak) then tried to start it and it wouldn't.

Bump start was also fruitless

Breakdown guy found fault codes for camshaft sensor and manifold pressure

Most engines should run with a MAP sensor disconnected. Also usually can run (albeit rough) without a cam sensor - as long as there is a crank sensor active.

Without a oscilloscope, you can't check the waveform of the actual sensor to accurately determine that. One way to test the wiring would be to see if there was a break/high resistance (like >100 ohms) in the wiring with a multimeter in continuity test mode.

No idea on Fiats, but Crank sensors usually cause a whole world of pain on a lot of cars when they start failing. A common (painful) symptoms is that the engine runs fine for 20 minutes or so, until warm, then suffers a FTP. Also double check that the sensor pickup isn't dirty. Sometimes they collect swarf and dirt, which confuses them. A quick clean then fixes them.

For my breakdown cover I use Nationwide Plus account. £10 p/m for breakdown, mobile phone insurance, worldwide travel insurance, 12 months extra warranty on home appliances and 3% interest on money in the account up to £2500. If you have a joint account with the missus with them, its still £10 p/m - but covers both people instead!

Started digging around the Panda (or "lot 77" as I've taken to calling it) today. Just look at the lovely interior!

post-17393-0-16739800-1454869900_thumb.jpeg

Don't think it's had a service for a long time

post-17393-0-14270600-1454869944_thumb.jpeg

First steps are to replace the leads and plugs (the leads disintegrated in my hands) and clean up all of the chassis grounds. Probably replace that gopping filter too

Everything electric is absolutely shit on these, favourites are the connectors to the ECU coming adrift and getting dirt in, camshaft sensors, crank sensors, ECUs failing, coil packs. I had a wiring fault (I think) on the camshaft sensor - every single day when it refused to start it would chuck up the EML and it was always camshaft position sensor circuit A. I expertly fixed it myself with electrical tape and it cured the stuttering but still wouldn't start every single morning. No one could/would diagnose it or fix it, I always got it back as "no fault found" because either no one would listen when I said it starts fine when it's warm or  the damn would start for them if left overnight. I lost loads of money on parts roulette and taking days off work so just got shot and cut my losses before I had a breakdown myself. One of two dabbles into modern cars I've had that cost over £1000 that both ended up disastrous, never fuggin again.

Batteries have to be tip top on these to work properly, I think even if they can spin the engine over OK sometimes there's not enough power left to keep the ECU and injectors stable. The clock resetting is a classic sign. Might be worth seeing if you can try another one in before buying though.

Mine was right where it went into the sensor on the top of the engine. I think it was so tight from the factory that vibrations etc pulled it. Not sure if they're all like that but I could see the individual coloured wires going into the sensor. I boshed loads of tape on it to take the strain off those wires and it did improve it. Costs nothing to try anyway!

Nope, I had 2005 which wasn't *too* bad, lots of stupid faults on it like a dry joint on the wiper motor and a leaking washer bottle. Took it from 35 to 40k and sorted all of the issues when it got rear ended and written off. Got pretty much what I paid for it 18 months earlier so not too bad... I replaced it with a 2009, 1 owner, 50k on the clock and it just broke down constantly. I think I got rid with about 58k on clock and 20 years knocked off my life.

They have a good rep though, maybe I was just unlucky?

New* throttle body fitted, no change.

Ran the self learn clear function on my diagnostics to reset stored values in the ECU - now revs less high when it pulses but it's still erratic and now the EML is flashing because it needs to get up to temperature to complete its self learning and I'm hesitant to do that with such a porous cooling system.

Don't think it'll fix it anyway