Kiltox's 1997 Rover 216 Cabriolet (30/05 - Fixery)

Kiltox

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Hooli

That looks grim, I remember driving one half the length of the country when they were quite new. It did very well, but was as exciting as a wet weekend in Margate.

Ordered a new gear knob and leather for the Passat for no reason other than it was £6 which is stupendous value

Going to wet vac the hell out of the seats when I get a chance and had really better put the spare wheel on in place of the OSR which has a racing slick!

• 3 weeks later...

Love this little pile of shite - few more miles today moving some stuff around. I swear it's noisier than it should be though despite the 1.3 being a horribly noisy engine anyway

No radio maybe distorts the experience :D

Glad it has found a loving home.

It's not noisy ... It is characterful

• 1 month later...

Shite cull is complete - everything is gone apart from my modern and my Rover 216 Cabriolet

MOT a few weeks ago - it needed rear trailing arm bushes and a brake pipe to pass (knew the bushes were shot)

All 4 tyres were badly perished and two of them pretty bald and slow punctured so it had 4 new ones yesterday

Drives SO well now - both the bushes and tyres have made an incredible difference

I think it's staying long term if I can sort out some dry under cover parking for it so a few jobs still need doing

Massive clean - it's pretty filthy inside. Might get a professional to do it tbh. Drivers seat is a bit worn so if I see a set of the same seats for sale in better nick I might swap them

NS window is slow - hopefully just need lubrication

New sun visors - mirror is broken on the drivers side and it has a fag burn in it

Plates more fitting with the age - need to find details on the original supplying dealer so I can get DMB to sort them out

Oil and coolant change - its not mixing them :D but both are overdue a change

Radio volume knob doesn't work - I might need to swap it out but I think I want to source another OEM Rover one

Mess I made of the gear gaiter swap wants sorting

CV boots and drop link boots are perished so they probably want doing

Long term - bit of rust repair and subsequent paint although I'm sure that's an expensive job to do properly! Couple of tiny dents want sorting too

Stands me at many times more than I paid for it after the recent MOT work and tyres but that's the Autoshite way, right? I do love it though.