Rover 25 "Project Drive" for sale - £300

wuvvum

OK, so this is a good little car and has done sterling work ferrying the folks around over Christmas, but it doesn't fill any particular role in the fleet and I need money for an upcoming holiday, so it's going up for sale.

It's a 1.4 GSI, which must have been fairly close to the top of the range at the time - it has full leather, pretend grey wood, electric windows all round, ABS, aircon, parking sensors etc.

It did 600 miles in less than a week over the Christmas period and never missed a beat.  Seats are comfy enough and the heater is good.  The stereo is a cheapo Lidl job but works OK.  Aircon blows nice and cold.

Mileage is about 75K and it's MOT'd until December.  I didn't get any history with it unfortunately, but given the nature of the beast and the odd scrapes on the bodywork I'd hazard a guess it was previously giffer owned.  Mechanically it all seems pretty good, and the emissions on the MOT were particularly low for a kettle.

Most of the electrics work but there are a few bits that don't.  The driver's electric window needs reseating in its guide (although it can sort of be wound up and down a bit if you're careful); the front passenger door lock doesn't always work on the central locking; some of the wires on the HRW are dead; the fan does the usual R3 thing of only working on the two highest speeds; and I don't think the parking sensors are a lot of cop.  Oh, and the rear screen washer doesn't work - again, I've never had an R3 where it did.

As previously mentioned, the bodywork has its share of battle scars, the worst probably being the scrape on the OSF wing and one on the sill.  It also appears to have had a replacement bumper at some stage, which was painted very badly (or at least prepared very badly for paint) as the red is flaking off and showing the silver underneath.  Mind you, being such a late car, it's quite possible it came like this from the factory...  There's also a crack in one of the rear light lenses, but as far as I can see these are the same as earlier cars so not too hard to get hold of - I put a bit of clear tape over the hole and it passed the MOT OK.  In fact the only advisory on the MOT was for the dents in the bodywork (?).

It did have alloy wheels when I bought it, but I've nicked them for the VI so it now wears steels with trimz - they're cheapo generic jobs but I don't think they look too bad considering.

Pictures:

post-190-0-25476000-1452645312_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-26470900-1452645334_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-72520600-1452645398_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-88387900-1452645422_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-81770700-1452645355_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-00717500-1452645375_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-01949500-1452645452_thumb.jpg

Car is in NE Norfolk; shiter's price is 300 quid.

• 2 weeks later...

The bumpers were all painted in Herefordshire by a different company.

That sounds like it was one my friend did with a hangover

Remind me again how MGR was hemorrhaging cash.... Or had the bumper painters union called a strike? That's madness.....

• 3 weeks later...

Bump and price drop.

I had the driver's door card off this today to look at the window.  Turns out the reason it wasn't working was because the curved rack bit that the motor's pinion meshes with is worn.  I don't know if the Project Drive ones are made of an inferior quality of cheese to the earlier cars', but I've not had this issue on an R3 before.  I had a bit of a fiddle with it and it now goes down and most of the way up, but needs a hand going up the last couple of inches.

• 1 month later...

That was my reaction,  It was mint though with 36K on the clock - me and my mate I was there with were trying to work out what it'd fetch, and we settled on about £900 tops.

Mind you, the prices at that auction are often stupid.  It is the auction of the £10K A40 Farina, after all, and a Golf GTI Mk1 belonging to another lad I know (which he sold a couple of years ago for £900 because it needed too much welding) was there on Saturday with a fresh MOT and a freshly undersealed floor (still with mildew round the sunroof seal though :roll: ), made £7,200.