the old banger racing

ayd

just been chatting to a good customer of mine and we got on to cars...I happened to mention I'd love a Mk1 XR2and he said "loads of my mates are motor traders and have a few and use them for banger racing"whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaathe then followed it with "I'll have a word and I should be able to pick you one up for a couple of hundred in fair condition"I quickly replied witherrrm how about a scirocco"yeah plenty of them"errr can I have a stock list please............

I must admit I've never heard of MR2 MK1s going around the oval, seems like a good choice if you want to severely reduce your life expectancy. Sounds a bit dubious to me.

I wouldnt have thought that an early Fiesta would make a particularly good banger racer, they dont take rear impacts very well for a start. Besides which a good XR2 is now a pretty valuable thing once again - surely any motor trader worthy of the name would be aware of that?

I wouldnt have thought that an early Fiesta would make a particularly good banger racer, they dont take rear impacts very well for a start. Besides which a good XR2 is now a pretty valuable thing once again - surely any motor trader worthy of the name would be aware of that?

I know of somebody who already has one prepped. His dad nearly cried when he saw it. The floor was solid as a rock!

Hold on, XR2? That makes more sense. I can't even blame being drunk for that mistake. I'm just getting old and useless. I'm tired.Anyway IN BEFORE THE LOCK, etc.

oh in no way am I 'having a go at the banger racers' I've always fancied a go if I'm honest..I was more suprised at the fact that some people are still using these, when they could obviously get some good coin in for them....disaster averted....

Some people don't know the difference between stock car racing and banger racing. A Mk1 Fiesta is likely to be used as a Stock Rod or equivalent. Stock Rods, as Simmo pointed out, are supposed to be non contact and generally last for several seasons.In stock car racing circles opinion is just as split on banger racing.

I think its the contact element that divides people - if its intentional then its bangers and mash, if its stock car racing then there seems to be a wider acceptance. A lot of RWD Starlets seem to have gone towards the stock car route, yet there seems to be a a very limited amount of mourning. I think this whole Banger race stuff has been covered too much in forums, and no logical answers seem to come out. Verdict : each to their own.Next: Rat look.

Oh yes he does, have known Rob since he was an ankle biter, he raced that MR2 at Belle Vue and won atleast one race and the destruction derby in it. As regards Banger racing a lot of people do not separate oval racing into its relevant categories, they just view any thing to do with ovals as mindless destruction. As you might see in my signature I have 2 XR2's both have been raced on ovals for the last few years and ready for this years season. I also have a Corsa 1300 stockcar that I have built for this season. I dont have a problem with anyone not liking banger racing but at the end of the day its up to personal choice and not worth falling out over.

so in retrospect, lets rewind a good few hours and the post would now look like this

Top Title : there may be more shitters out there than you think

Topic Text : it seems after a chat with a good customer of mine there may be a few people stockpiling some of our favourite old motors to use in various types of motorsport.....there's a possibility of me picking up a Mk1 XR2 in reasonable nick for a couple of hundred quid...seems canny to me....more details to follow as I find out more

in the mean time heres a nice picture of a Koala...they're from Australia don't you know....

Posted Image

does that get me out of the poop?

Don't know if you were ever really in the poop ayd old boy. It's just that any mention of the word Banger racer on here is generally followed up by something like this 'if the stuff they play dodgems with was made of wheatabix, they wouldn't get in it. mindless.'Which is about a moronoc a statement as can be expected.Nice picture of the Koala by the way. Almost makes the pikey, thieving scum in me (another ignorant perception of someone who's spent a great deal of his life involved in ovalsport) want a cuddle with the cute little thing.

It is a shame FredTransit added the 'mindless' to the end of her comment/banter I am pleased to see the name turn up here as I know it well from the Transit forum and is normally an excellent contributer. The Banger subject comes every so often and users new to the forum don't know the history or that there are a few on here from various oval interests. When comments are kept to the subject I do think the standard of debate on here is very good and far better that most other motor forums, I think, due to the good cross section of people and interests on here.

very well put old chap!!!Are you Spedeworth or Incarace or GMB up there, I can never remember!

Its actually Buxton Raceway that we mainly race at, the 1300 stockcars are a new formula for us this season. Some pictures of the stock car are on the raceway website. www.buxtonraceway.com if anyone is in the slightest bit interested. Also one of the fiesta's is on the Best of 2008 seasons pictures #02 with my son driving( a black and green one)