My SD1 - Welding Completed

Cleon-Fonte

The insurance underwriters have a funny way of working. They laughed in my face when I tried to insure a Vitesse and most wouldn't even quote, quotes for straight-sixes and carb V8s were extortionate, which left me with the 2 litre and Vanden Plas EFi. EFi was cheaper than the four-banger so I went with that.

I would have got quotes for the 2.4 diesel just to complete the set, but they're all rotten or in France.

That was back in 2011 which should give you a clue to my age now.

And am I the only one whose SD1's gloveboxes have always remained bone dry?

The insurance underwriters have a funny way of working. They laughed in my face when I tried to insure a Vitesse and most wouldn't even quote, quotes for straight-sixes and carb V8s were extortionate, which left me with the 2 litre and Vanden Plas EFi. EFi was cheaper than the four-banger so I went with that.

I would have got quotes for the 2.4 diesel just to complete the set, but they're all rotten or in France.

That was back in 2011 which should give you a clue to my age now.

Partridge's age then, 2 years younger than me. Jammy sod! I seem to recall the cheapest to insure for me was the 2600 but even that was ludicrous.

• 1 month later...

So today I crossed the Pennines to see what progress had been made on the old girl. As you can see some quite serious demolition work has taken place but now the new nearside sill is ready to be welded in.

post-20075-0-62353200-1455908751_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the more rust that's repaired, the more new rust is discovered. This used to be the nearside jacking point.

post-20075-0-03781400-1455908810_thumb.jpg

So, once the nearside sill is in, which it should be by the end of next week, it's time for the offside. This is apparently nowhere near as bad and should be a relatively quick job in comparison. It also seems like it's hiding a lot less rust than its nearside counterpart.

Luckily the underside itself is still as new, so once both sills are done it's onto the waxoyling and suspension work. All in all, we're looking at it being back on the road sometime in the latter half of March.

TBH I am playing my own violin - I have done so much work on the car but now I feel like devon loch - the finish line is in sight but I have fallen. I have approx £1k saved for paint but from speaking to bodyshops I am miles short.

Only a decent job would do it justice - lets see what happens.

My first car was my dads turbo diesel SD1.

Rotten from new, needed door skins painting every year, sills, floor, etc etc.

In the early 90's when shells were still available I got a quote for a new shell and doors etc etc  4 grand, seems cheap now but was a fortune to me then.  Had a huge garage bill and gave the keys to the mechanics in the end.

Shame as it was a great car apart from the huge bills, bits randomly falling off, brake failure, radiator failure, failure to start, rear springs breaking......

Damn I really want another SD1 now

At least I know the good folk on here will talk me out of it....

Won't they?? Please!

Do it, you're a long time dead. Prices aren't likely to be this low again and petrol prices are currently pretty conducive to SD1 ownership.

TBH I am playing my own violin - I have done so much work on the car but now I feel like devon loch - the finish line is in sight but I have fallen. I have approx £1k saved for paint but from speaking to bodyshops I am miles short.

Only a decent job would do it justice - lets see what happens.

They're worth the work when they're running properly, however rarely that may be.

Jesus :shock:

Thankfully mine had zero rot in the sills and floors.

Yes, for a Series I yours was remarkably rot free. And should hopefully remain so now it's coated in paint and not the Crayola BL preferred to use.

Luckily the paint was the only good bit about this one, it's already been done which has allowed more resources for every other aspect of the thing.

(2)  The car will be available for driving at Shitefest, straight six fans.

This one shall also be whored out to anyone who wants a go. You can see what you're missing by not having a V8 under the bonnet ;-)

Great work this, keep the updates coming.

I really, really hope the sills on mine don't look like that underneath.

The inner and outer sills tend to go together apparently so one always has a visible gauge of how borked they are. How thoughtful they were to build them like that.

Two announcements

(1)  The gloveboxes in my 2600 SE are always dry.

(2)  The car will be available for driving at Shitefest, straight six fans.[/quot

Pity I will not be there - I would enjoy the whiny sound of an SD1 straight six.