Okay, long story short: was not getting on with the PT at all so swapped it back for the old man's SportKA. Looks tidy, doesn't it?
Still got it's fuel filler, so that's a start.
Looks okay this side, too.
Oh, hang on, that looks a bit loose. No problem, though, soon sorted...
Bugger. Is that rust?
Okay, normally a bit of rust doesn't phase me too much, but let's look at the last two MOTs...
Firstly, this is the one that came with the car:
Looks okay, but what's this?
Seriously, we all know KAs like to rot but does anyone think this is suspicious? What you can't see in the picture above is that the outer panel has seperated from the wheel arch along the edge. Surely that wouldn't pass an MOT? I find it hard to believe that it would not have been like that when it was done in July. I tried to get a picture - if you start at the edge of the tyre and follow it all the way up that is all rotten!
And it's not just the rust concerns, either, it's the fact that it genuinely doesn't feel safe to drive. At low speeds - and I mean walking pace sometimes - the front wheels just tuck in when turning to the right. Then at speed it just drifts all over the place. Tried to take it up to 60 on the dual carriageway earlier today and it felt like the steering wheel was just not connected to the front wheels, like it just wanted to drift into the central reservation! I also nearly had an off the other day when it nearly spun coming of a NSL roundabout onto a slip road despite only doing about 40. I know it's damp out but this is silly.
My gut instinct is that something is off somewhere. It could just be the cheapo Zeta tyres on the back, but I'm not sure.
Took it straight to my local indy and booked it in for tomorrow. I have two options: they can just put it through an MOT for me or give it a full inspection and a report. At least with the inspection if something is wrong I will still have a nice bit of ticket, but if it's shagged I wouldn't want to drive it anyway and I certainly wouldn't sell it on. If it does pass, though, I then have a fresh ticket and I can punt it on in good faith.
So, what would you do? Bite the bullet and gamble on an MOT? Or just get a report first and hope it's not too fucked?
I need to make a decision by tomorrow afternoon...