FFS

Mash

PS. I dont think RFL/VED has been 'ring-fenced' for many years... in fact the link between road tax and highway maintenance/construction was probably broken as far back as the 1930s. Would be interesting to find out how building the motorway network was funded!

As far as I know Winston Churchill diverted the road tax to help with the war effort during WW2. He promised it would go back to the roads after the war but it never did.

The solution to less road use is to make it so journeys are not required - home working, less out-of-town retail centres, small factories/warehouses/offices dotted around the country instead of a few huge national ones, etc.In short, don't blame the rep for doing 20K a year, he probably doesn't want to! Figure out a way so he doesn't have to.

Exactly! Everybody conducts their life over such a huge area now.

Is anyone watching 'The secret life of the motorway'? It's been on before but is currently being repeated on BBC3/4. There's quite a bit of history of the funding etc on there. GR8 4 TAT SPOTZ 2!

Is anyone watching 'The secret life of the motorway'? It's been on before but is currently being repeated on BBC3/4. There's quite a bit of history of the funding etc on there. GR8 4 TAT SPOTZ 2!

Must watch out for that to come around again and record it myself....saw it about a year ago and thought it was really good.

Despite the fact we go to the post office most days, we usually tax online now.... :?::roll: Much less hassle, don't have to rummage about desperately trying to find where you tidied all the docs away to.... :lol:

Like I said, there is no way i would give the DVLA me CC details. The only ones I tax online is the free ones!Well, back from the PO, heard it all now. I had the reminder and the insurance, but the insurance says any vehicle, not the reg number (trader's policy). So they wouldn't accept it. Not to worry, the lady said, get a letter from your company stating the reg number and that you have insurance, I will accept that. WTF?? Why didn't I think of that? Would you like it written in crayon or marker pen? How does some bod behind the counter know what my letterhead looks like? Whilst I am at it I think I will knock up a nice RBS pension certificate.....Anybody else want one while I am at it? :roll::lol:

I've never once had my traders policy certificate questioned at the PO in all they years I've had it and there's no vehicles listed on it. Just says I'm covered for "any vehicle in policy holders custody or control".I pretty much do them all online now though. Much easier, especially since they shut down the PO in my village :evil:

I've never once had my traders policy certificate questioned at the PO in all they years I've had it and there's no vehicles listed on it. Just says I'm covered for "any vehicle in policy holders custody or control".I pretty much do them all online now though. Much easier, especially since they shut down the PO in my village :evil:

Same here, 'any vehicle', which begs the question, what part of any vehicle excludes this vehicle???

OK, I'm also taxing my car and applied on DVLA site today 27th Feb and it still says the tax will start on the first of Feb?WTF is going on? or do I need to wait till 28th?

-well, it's the 28th and DVLA site still says 'tax to start from 01 02 09' so fok it, I'll just go to the post office next week sometime.

I wonder how many people get caught out by the DVLA still trying to charge you for the month past when you apply online?You can bet a fair amount of people pay no notice until they click the confirm button. The road tax system is so annoying, its deliberately geared to cause you grief and stop you getting the disc!I put the cortina back on the road yesterday after its winter layoff, got my disc at the PO and got told "I see the car on sorn, you cant use this disc until after midnight remember" while being thrown a dirty look from the cashier who seemed horrified I might get a few hours free tax!The Cortina was sat outside the PO, wearing a 1979 disc at the time :lol:

Must watch out for that to come around again and record it myself....saw it about a year ago and thought it was really good.
I've just downloaded them yesterday from a naughty torrent site (hey, it's the BBC, I've paid for it) and am gonna watch them today. Do look rather good though :)