2001 Saab 9-3 2.0T Convertible - Soiled. I mean Sold.

Pillock

This has now been removed from my posession.

Proper sadface, especially since last night I got a text offering me storage for it across the road from my house! Timing was perfectly imperfect.

Oh well, sounds like it's gone to a loving home! Thanks for painless selling process njgleeds, hope your FIL enjoys it when the weather improves :)

Cheers Chris...pleasure to meet you.

Filled up with fuel and now stopped for coffee at Tibshelf.

I've got to say, it's one of the nicest examples of these I've come across for a long time...apart from a hint of scuttle shake over the rough stuff, it drives impeccably. This one is definitely going to be a keeper, I reckon. Going to get it up on the ramp tomorrow for an impromptu oil and filter change along with a flush and sump clean but that's more for belt and braces peace of mind.

Can see the F-i-L enjoying the use of our E320 quite a bit this summer ;-)

I've changed my mind, bring it back! 

beko - I was averaging 32-35 mpg but I was doing quite a lot of twiddly countryside roads. On the motorway it would cruise at 70mph and show 38+ average MPG. Insurance for non-classic was £201 (9 years NCB, garaged) but there's plenty out there that are 15 years old plus so could be cheaper. Tax was £18 a month, I think that works out to be £225 a year or something. Again, I think an older model will be taxed differently, this was a Sept 2001 model behind the private plate.

You should also factor in proper oil for services, and on an unknown quantity a sump drop and flush as njgleeds is doing to this. On these I'd says that's part of the purchase costs really, I was a bit lax in getting around to it

Got back late on Sunday after an uneventful trip back up north in the torrential rain and parked up in the workshop.

Finally got around to giving it some attention this morning....first job was a oil change and sump clean.

post-17519-0-36819200-1452031617_thumb.jpeg

Not a moment too soon...

post-17519-0-10057800-1452031678_thumb.jpeg

post-17519-0-98811200-1452031695_thumb.jpeg

The sump was thick with gritty sludge in the bottom and the pick up strainer was almost completely blocked!

It's had plenty of servicing during its life so it goes to show how critical it is with these engines. Anyway, a good session with the marigolds and a drop of unleaded and we are looking a whole lot healthier in there...

post-17519-0-57495200-1452031880_thumb.jpeg

A new Mahle filter and some of ECPs finest fully synthetic later...

post-17519-0-53640900-1452031939_thumb.jpeg

It now sounds....exactly as it did before, quiet as a church mouse! At least it should last a bit longer.

It's also going to need a couple of bits of welding for the next MOT...nothing too much but I'm going to crack on with it this week whilst it's in the workshop. No pics of that yet as I needed it off the ramp to put some paying jobs on but I'll take some this weekend when I tackle it.

Other than that,it's absolutely brill! It pulls like a steam train, everything works as it should and mechanically, it seems spot on. I've ordered a steering rack brace to tighten things up a little and hopefully prevent any future damage to the bulkhead...it may also get some uprated springs and dampers at the front as the general consensus is it eliminates the bit of scuttle shake that is synonymous with these but all things considered, it's one hell of a lot of car for the money :-)

god you caught that just in time. top tip, the reason the coke up is cos the cats under the sump. if it doesnt have a lambda after the cat, just "freeflow" the cat. it stops the heat. i have a sedan, mapped to stage 2. its making 250bhp and 380nm of torque. you need to look here:

http://www.noobtune.co.uk/

karl is awesome. 

How difficult is it to remove the sump?  I'm picking up a 2001 9-3 for Mrs Pirate on Saturday and this is the first job I want to do.  I don't have a fancy ramp, only axle stands and excellent swearing skills.  Do you need to partially lift the engine for access?

You need to either drop the subframe a bit or raise the engine . It's a messy old job and important to order the correct anerobic sealer and a few o rings . Neo bros does a kit with all you need I think .

A few aeros ( 9-5 I think ) require holes to be drilled in the sumo bracing to get to 2 bolts but these are rare .

It's worth making sure it has the latest #6 pcv kit on it ( white markings on the hoses)