Fab Corsa - End of the road

Austin-Rover

• 1 year later...

So this little Corsa is still going. It had a bit more welding for the MoT in 2017. Hopefully it'll do this year with just the usual service and not have to be slotted in to the garage for more involved works. It was pressed in to full time use for November and December as runabout as usual for my Mum and Dad, but since they buggered off back to Spain, it's been sat untouched. Following a burst power steering pipe on one of the dailies, I went to collect Crap Corsa from its hiding place - a quick turn of the key and we're back in business! Quite a dependable little car, this. It gets us out of a pickle when other stuff dies, and can alternate quite happily between months of sitting and months of every day use. I do wonder how long we can keep it going. I should think bodywork will see it off before mechanical issues.

Here is is today with the Volvo, doing a great impression of 21st February 1996.

post-5021-0-53249400-1519245587_thumb.jpg

The rear door handles annoy me immensely on 5 door Corsa Bs but good work anyway!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hang on, this may be a 15 month old comment but.... Yer what?

I've just spent ages looking at photos of the side of Corsas and can't see the issue. I must know!

Hang on, this may be a 15 month old comment but.... Yer what?

I've just spent ages looking at photos of the side of Corsas and can't see the issue. I must know!

The rear door handles on 5-door Corsa Bs are lower than the front ones. It drives me insane. It's like the odd shaped mirrors Mercs, I couldn't live with one 'cos I'd know.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The door handles are parallel to the window frames, despite the windowframe bases being at different angles on each door. So the rear one isn't horizontal.

Furthermore they're different distances from the window, probably so they look 'level' relative to each other and so the handle isn't 'too close' to anything else.

Very odd design choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the weekend, Crap Corsa returned to its native homelands for the first time since we got our hands on it. It was time for the semi-regular family visit to Anglesey and the choice of vehicles was; Duster = too competent. Volvo 960 = too thirsty. Corsa = already dirty and up for anything! Off we went! As usual with this car, no drama and no problems and will quite happily bomb down the M56 and A55 at 80. 

I managed to swing by the original supplying dealer (still trading just in second hand these days) and Anglesey's most photogenic lay-by.

post-5021-0-30330400-1520374204_thumb.jpg

post-5021-0-11815400-1520374217_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

This post is an unexpected one, and a bit of a sad end for the Crap Corsa (it was anything but, to be honest - a brilliant little car) as it was written off on Monday 13th May.

It was back in service with my Mum who was heading out with my Gran. They came across a queue of traffic at some failed temporary traffic lights. Deciding not to wait, and to take another route, she pulls out of the line of cars to do a u-turn when a minibus comes down the outside of the line of cars to enter a right turn box. It hits the driver's door, pushing the car round straight. We think Mum hit hear head as she doesn't remember anything after this. The Corsa ran down the offside of the car in front and finished up in the back of an Audi. Perhaps her foot went on the gas, considering the damage. It is the end of the road for it, anyway. After a check up by ambulance staff, they both escaped with just bruises thankfully.

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG