2001 A160 LWB Auto Project of pointlessness £200

RichardK

Well if all goes according to plan, I'll be collecting one of my dream cars, the 300CE tomorrow afternoon. I promise I'll get a thread going on its re-instatement (assuming anyone's actually interested) unlike the autoshite A8, although to be fair, all I've ever had to do with that is put fuel in it and wash it, then put some more fuel in it, then some more, and a bit more etc etc

Sounds like you're having a proper new year clear out there richardk. Don't blame you. Sometimes you just need to move on as there are too many cars out there and not enough time!

My girlfriend has a 1.6 convertible beetle. She loves it. I quite like driving it too if I'm honest. We took it on a tour of France the other year and it was perfect for that trip. Autoshite is surely a broad church and I would never want to crticise anyone's taste in cars. The greater the variety the better in my eyes. The first beetle's are surely approaching chod status anyway now.

Today, I explain to you life.

Life is not owning a car made after 1986. Because everything built after 1986 is nothing but a sea of misery and doesn't even closely resemble a car. Or life.

Life is owning a car that was made before 1986.

If you want to lead a happy life, don't just avoid that newfangled tosh, boycott it.

This is a new beetle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Beetle-1973-/281882562695

$_57.JPG

Because it has McPherson struts and a trailing arm rear suspension and a collapsible steering column and all kinds of shit like that.

So people who can't drive a car can drive it.

It could be yellow easily.

Nobody listens to me anyway, hence I'm not responsible.

Beetles are a great weapon against rush hour. It's difficult to be miserable in one, and even the nastiest commuters assume I'm Russell Brand long enough to let me out of junctions while they're rummaging in their cars for a suitable blunt weapon.

FTFY  :-P

Also, will you be acquiring the 'flower-petal' alloys for said Beetle? Be a shame not to, really.

I've certainly uttered a few unprintable words in their direction whilst working on them. AND the burds that usually drive them have got a bad case of the mental.

1: Most modern cars are a bit dull. I like New Beetles to look at, that's all that matters here.

2: You haven't seen my taste in partners.

3: Or me, for that matter. Suspect "A bit mental" is underselling it. So I fit the driver profile.

Today, I explain to you life.

Life is not owning a car made after 1986. Because everything built after 1986 is nothing but a sea of misery and doesn't even closely resemble a car. Or life.

Life is owning a car that was made before 1986.

If you want to lead a happy life, don't just avoid that newfangled tosh, boycott it.

This is a new beetle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Beetle-1973-/281882562695

$_57.JPG

Because it has McPherson struts and a trailing arm rear suspension and a collapsible steering column and all kinds of shit like that.

So people who can't drive a car can drive it.

It could be yellow easily.

Nobody listens to me anyway, hence I'm not responsible.

£1K or less won't get me a good usable one. However, there are whispers on the wind. Not a 1302 or 1303 though, EW to struts not beams.

One day, I will do a "Click & Collect" with a car. By which I mean I'll dump it in Asda's collection spaces.

So, BMW, 300CE and E320 are now spoken for, paid for and in the case of the 300CE, gone! Pics when I CBA, it's been a busy day.

That leaves the A-class and Accord, I think? I'm guessing no-one will want to hand over £1400 or so for a 2004 Xszxzzzzzzara Picasso 1.6 "Desire" (fighting "Carisma" for most badly-named car) with 69,997 miles on it? It's in very nice condition. Not mine or my cup of tea though.

Have you seen this one :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Beetle-1-6-3-door-LOOKS-DRIVES-GREAT-/111856251204?hash=item1a0b26f144:g:GAEAAOSwhkRWeYjf

It's a 2002, but seems to tick every other box...

In Halesowen, so happy to go over and take some pics. Check it out for you. (Providing you tell me what to look for )

Have you seen this one :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Beetle-1-6-3-door-LOOKS-DRIVES-GREAT-/111856251204?hash=item1a0b26f144:g:GAEAAOSwhkRWeYjf

It's a 2002, but seems to tick every other box...

In Halesowen, so happy to go over and take some pics. Check it out for you. (Providing you tell me what to look for )

Aftermarket alloys?

Right, Honda Accord - Roffle time, I think, unless anyone wants to chuck me the £170 it cost plus the £70 or so for the front brake discs & pads I put on it. MOT has expired now, but fix the ABS and unstick the brakes and it shouldn't be an issue getting another.