Dumped cars in your area

D Spares & Tyres

Would the airbags go off if it was parked and that was the corner of a wagon trailer that hit it?

Would have to have been reversing at a fair lick, although you're probably quite right, with the ignition off, airbags would not be active.  Someone I used to know many years ago was killed while sat in her parked car when someone hit it rather hard head on.  Had she had a seatbelt on and active airbags it's most likely she'd have survived, but you don't wear seatbelts and leave the ignition on when you're parked in a car at the side of the road.

Here in the Thames Valley we have a better class of dumped car and location.

This is on a public footpath in the middle of nowhere and has been there at least a couple of years.

It's beside a converted barn and seems to have CCTV cameras facing it.

MOT ran out at the end of 2013. Photo taken this summer but car still there.

JZKvYE.jpg

Looking it the picture I'm guessing the car is on private land which just happens to have a footpath running over it, that looks more like an access track to the side or rear of the building. It's also probably blocking access for any other uninvited vehicles down there.

Went back to a childhood stomping ground to check these out this weekend, deep in a wood on private land. It's all been there 10+ years. It was maintained to a fashion for a long time, with a garden and the weird bottle house, but is now fully abandoned. May have belonged to a pleasant simple tramp (in the old meaning of the words) who used to frequent the area, but he's sadly dead now.

post-19520-0-28151000-1515972060_thumb.jpg

post-19520-0-61316400-1515972075_thumb.jpg

post-19520-0-98104500-1515972090_thumb.jpg

post-19520-0-56247500-1515972102_thumb.jpg

post-19520-0-10074800-1515972117_thumb.jpg

post-19520-0-23532800-1515972131_thumb.jpg

post-19520-0-74397700-1515972157_thumb.jpg

post-19520-0-09639600-1515972173_thumb.jpgpost-19520-0-02962800-1515972146_thumb.jpg

Those Minis are oldies. The ancient one is Farina grey, an Austin Seven around 1959-61. That would still yield some small parts. The beige one is a 1972/3 (K/L reg) 850 in Harvest gold and the green one is Almond green, pre Hydrolastic so 1962-4. 

Not a great deal of value on any of them alas. No Cooper stuff for sure. 850 engines are worthless.

I photograph clamped cars in my area - I'm looking at why cars get clamped and how soon. Here is one.Seems at first sight the usual DVLA operation. Except someone has driven it there recently with the car SORN and out of MoT. Sad note inside asking it to be taken away as they can't  pay the clamping fine. On a quiet backroad but nowhere round me escapes the clampers notice They will still get sent the fine. 

Strange why the owner didnt just weigh it in themselves. Could have potentially paid some of the fine off if scrap is as much as £130 a ton.

I really don't want to generate 13 million additional replies to this (excellent) thread but, assuming the car has been rescinded, couldnt you just fill out the new keeper section of the logbook, sign* it and send it in, sans the green slip. Where would you stand if the PO resurfaced?

It seems a higly unusual situation and a bit odd imo, but if I saw something that I thought I could/would want to take on such as an old Rover 75, Mondeo, Corolla or something with a few shite credentials then, in this scenario, Id really want to stuik the key in the ignition and have a go.

Personally I would be Hiabing it away into a corner of the yard and applying for a logbook or running it straight into the frag yard minus cat battery and alloys, the clamp can stay in the boot..

Yes. I think they were just caught running about in an ilkegal car and could not pay. I have not seen it there before.

If they were stopped by the police with no tax/ test/ insurance they would have taken the car...

post-5742-0-49859400-1516713610_thumb.jpg

Can they do this? Council notice on this (and a few other) cars on this unadopted road, stating it's illegal to abandon a vehicle. How do they know they're abandoned? They're just parked on a private road, shurley?

Admittedly there is a scraper round the corner, but it's still an assumption.

NB. I may* have used said scraper, and left a car there for weeks/months. Point remains.