Tractorshite - 1957 Massey Furguson with a broken gearbox

steve_earwig

Here's one I used to fettle. TE20

attachicon.gifDSCF0060.JPG

Some parts are reasonably easy to source but you need to get it's identity correct and TE20s are probably the easiest old tractor to get parts for and they are still used as working tools. Try one of the "ole Fergie" forumz there's a lot of ole blokes (other sexes are available) with a vast well of knowledge waiting for someone new to bore.   I still have some manuals on CD if you want them.

attachicon.gifIMG_20151216_100310.jpg

Thanks for the offer but I'd better ask Nacek. He speaks no English (maybe a little German though).

I think they would've binned it long ago if it was that troublesome. I've had a squint about but I've only found gears for FE35 etc. Most of them have 6 or 8 speeds, this one only has 4 so I'm still thinking TE, the shaft and gearset look just like the ones in the TE pdf too.

steve_earwig, on 16 Dec 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

Thanks for the offer but I'd better ask Nacek. He speaks no English (maybe a little German though).

I think they would've binned it long ago if it was that troublesome. I've had a squint about but I've only found gears for FE35 etc. Most of them have 6 or 8 speeds, this one only has 4 so I'm still thinking TE, the shaft and gearset look just like the ones in the TE pdf too.

If you can get info out of him in German then bung it up here & one of us will translate it for you (NB Google Translate is fucking terrible).

My mate translates for us, although I understood everything he said yesterday about how he recently went arse-over-tit on some wet leafs, landed on a broken bottle, almost fainted, drove himself to hospital and the laughs* they had when they found out he was allergic to the local anaesthetic. He swears rather a lot too, every other word it's the effing this, the effing that, the effing other. Jesus H., the guy must be in his 70's.

My mate translates for us, although I understood everything he said yesterday about how he recently went arse-over-tit on some wet leafs, landed on a broken bottle, almost fainted, drove himself to hospital and the laughs* they had when they found out he was allergic to the local anaesthetic. He swears rather a lot too, every other word it's the effing this, the effing that, the effing other. Jesus H., the guy must be in his 70's.

Quick! tell him there's a forum who want to adopt him and his tractor/cement mixer combo and any posts in Germano-Croat-Serbo are welcome.

It's not a FE!! It's a boggo diesel Fergie, I was next to one being broken for parts on Sunday and I am sure he will send your man the bits he needs. Drop me a PM with your contact detail and I will do the biz. PS two smoke is right!! 

I wouldn't be surprised if it was sold there new, Yugoslavia was pretty independent trade-wise compared to the rest of Eastern Europe - you could buy British Fords there in the 1960s if you had the hard currency to hand.

I saw an ex Serbia or Croatia LHD Mk1 Cortina at a classic sale in November, it had been exported over in 1966.

It's not a FE!! It's a boggo diesel Fergie, I was next to one being broken for parts on Sunday and I am sure he will send your man the bits he needs. Drop me a PM with your contact detail and I will do the biz. PS two smoke is right!! 

It's not? Now I'm completely confused! I've still heard nothing from Nacek via my mate so I'm still not sure but...

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd better say something about this, rather than make myself look like a complete time-waster. The sweary old fecker seems to have disappeared up his own bottom. We've been up to his gaff a couple of times but he's been out, so we asked his mrs to call us. And, nothing. I thought maybe, as this was a busy time of year for him, I'd give him a chance but we saw him on the road a couple of days back and got nothing but a cheery waive - what the? So he's either found the parts and not bothered to tell us or he's given up on it but I've no idea which and, even though I'd be interested in helping out, it's probably better if I try and stay clear.

So anyway, thanks to everyone that stepped up to help and I'm sorry if I wasted anyone else's time, some people you just can't help.

Actually , just realised its a 4 cyl diesel . Wouldnt bother fixing the gearbox , the fucker will never start anyway  :-D

Not entirely true, Our was a days work to start and then a man came and fiddled with it, so now while not an instant starter it always starts on its own battery.

post-4787-0-57847500-1451761549_thumb.jpg

The engine on ours is very worn so I guess our timing chain is in poor condition, not sure what was done to make ours a reasonable starter.

This engine has a single glow plug in the manifold, that is diesel fed with electric igniter and is supposed to form a cone of warming flame in the manifold!

• 2 years later...

I've just got the badge ..The trencher  was  scrapped in '68 after the S.E.  floods wrecked it , and I had the badge .  My dad brought it home from work and gave it to me..as little boys treasure things like that   :-D

I also had a little JAP generator , which I got going again all on my own. It never generated again , but I loved that noisy engine ..no exhaust , I'd wind a bit of string round it ..start her up , after school  ,with my mate ..and rev the bollocks off it .. I was about 8 or 9...

And me Mum would come out and shout    "Turn it off !!!!    I  can't hear myself think !!! .Think of the neighbours... "

and I'd go " Do wot ??"

Bless her   :-D