Your Rover SD3 stories (mine has ended)

eddyramrod

Good grief, has it really been so long?

OK, the Fiesta wheels: don't come and get them, I now have a trailer that rides on Fiesta wheels.  However, I do need a towbar, either for the Rover or the Tacuma, both would be better.  At the moment I don't have a towing car at all.

Meanwhile: I finally got Martin to give me an estimate for the welding work, which has to go ahead before we can send the poor thing for MoT.  I'm still lying on the floor watching cartoon birdies circling.  Bloody hell.  I'm going to have the wrong side of two grand invested in this by the time she's painted and ready to show.

Who in his right mind would pour that kind of money into a Rover SD3?  Answer: nobody, of course.  That's why it falls to me.  Buggeration.

It'll be worth spending money on, there's not many of them left now and if someone doesn't spend a bit and start keeping them going then there won't be any left.

Your one looks to be a suitable candidate for the money to be invested in tbh. I remember these being pretty rare a decade ago when I used to look after a pair of them in the garage, both were rotten and a bit past it then.

It'll all be worth it in the end. That's how I look at it anyway!

• 7 months later...

That was October.  Today is June 1st.  Work still hasn't started, and I'm getting seriously pissed off.  Anybody want to take it on and bring me some running old shed as a swop?

If you don't think I'm serious, put up a pic of your swopper and find out!

Have some up-to-date snaps (well, last week anyway) to show I'm serious.

post-4559-0-28703700-1496423462_thumb.jpg

So here you can see where it's been sitting all this time: on the edge of a public car park, behind a skip.  GR0.0008

And then here's the rear end of the sill on the driver's side, but I have the panels (or at least, I bought them and they will be somewhere in the garage premises).post-4559-0-14760300-1496423516_thumb.jpg

But wait, what's this?

post-4559-0-90706200-1496423648_thumb.jpg

While it's been sitting (accessible to any passing member of the public, at any time of day or night) some twat has nicked the wiper blades!  I mean, FFS.......

All the new parts come with it.  A full set of jacking points, sills and rear arches, a complete exhaust, a NSF wing, and I've probably forgotten some stuff too.  It's even got an Autoshite sticker on it!  Last time I drove it (admittedly a long time ago) it was smooth and easy, just as it should be.  It hasn't got a lot of miles up, not much over 50k.  Before it was laid up the cooling system had been flushed and refilled and the cambelt changed.  It was, and will again be, a bloody nice little car. 

Oh and you will need a trailer or beavertail to take it away, or at least a pre-booked MoT.

Over to you, chaps.  Swop me something that's fit enough for daily duty.  No diesels, no VAG products.  Apart from that I'm not really very fussy. 

No cash price?

I have no idea what to ask for it.  My total investment at this stage is sub a grand, but not by much, so I doubt I'll get anything like that back.  If you want to make a cash offer, please feel free, I might even accept it.  I'm pretty much reconciled to the idea of taking a hit.

Now there's a rare car these days.

Very much so, Billy!  I haven't seen another one in this part of the country since I bought it, or in fact between returning from Cyprus and buying the car, which is a four-year span.  So yes, rare indeed.

Edit: make that three years, I bought it in December 2015.  Senile old bugger, it's only 2017 now.

Shit! That's terrible it's been left like that, worse it's been left basically at the roadside. I'd be well pissed off about the total lack of security for a customers car if nothing else.

It's a shame you've had to part with it Eddy, I know exactly how you feel about this given my recent experience!

Is there nowhere else nearby that could take it on and actually do it?

Is there nowhere else nearby that could take it on and actually do it?

I think I mentioned in another thread why I didn't want to do that.  One: I'd get known in this small community as the man who takes cars away from garages, which could well mean that nobody will touch any work I bring them.  Two: Martin would equally become known as the garage that people take cars away from, which could seriously damage his business, and I don't want to do that.

If, on the other hand, I go over and say "look, Martin, I've sold it, can we get all the parts gathered together please?" that's an honourable exit for both of us.  Even if "sold" turns out to be a slight exaggeration.  I did this with my Cyprus Granada; it had been sitting outside his old premises for a couple of months by the time I found a mug punter for it flogged it at a vast loss via Facebook.

However realistic or not is this view, I can't see progress being made now.  It's almost two weeks since I had the unsatisfactory conversation with him that I mentioned in the Grump thread.  "I'll get it in at the end of the week," he said.  It's now the end of the following week and still the car hasn't moved.  Is it my fault for telling him so many times that I didn't have any money, so there was no rush?  But to me, no rush means maybe 3-6 months.  13 is a bit much.

I'm frustrated and depressed, and just want it out of the way now.

Back in the days when I'd do anything for cash money I bottled a welding job on one of these. I took it on at first then came the day to do it and I got under it........never seen a car so fucked underneath........and I had a reputation of welding anything up.

I worked on them new as well......about 1985/6.

Just a useless memory that old farts like me like to regurgitate every so often.......

Back in the days when I'd do anything for cash money I bottled a welding job on one of these. I took it on at first then came the day to do it and I got under it........never seen a car so fucked underneath........and I had a reputation of welding anything up.

I worked on them new as well......about 1985/6.

Just a useless memory that old farts like me like to regurgitate every so often.......

Btw that's Alf's way of saying he'd like to go halves with me.

The guy that's left it outside sounds like a total twat that will never fix it.

More and more places seem to be getting like this. Sod reputation* as that's all shite, go get YOUR car and take it where you want. But explain to him why or just call him a twat.

I too worked on loads of these years ago when they were just paint and rust, this one needs doing no or it will go the same way.

The guy that's left it outside sounds like a total twat that will never fix it.

No, that's not on.  He's done other work for me in the meantime; but this is going to tie up his four-post lift for at least several days, and he has other work in and out all the time.  So far so good, I understand all that, he hasn't even had to explain it to me, I can see it.  BUT he's a one-man business, bordering on two as his son is now working with him, so there's a limit to how much work he can do at once.  And he does seem to get snowed under.  I think he struggles to turn people away.

I'm just frustrated that what I expected to happen in the space of a few weeks hasn't over a year.  Also, a few nights in the car park would have been ok, but this is too long.

TBH Eddy, he's is own worst enemy, he should have told you in the first place that it was too much to take on, and then you could have taken it elsewhere, he's 100% to blame for this, and I think you may be acting that bit too soft on him, and he's clearly not been taking care with your car, sorry, but for that he is a 100 carat cunt and deserves telling so, he deserves getting a reputation for treating customers cars poorly, because he bloodywell has done here, if it had been my car, i would have probably lamped him by now with his own torque wrench

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had something to swap for this but I don't have anything that fits your criteria, I'll possibly have a pez VW or French diesel estate by next week but neither of them are roadworthy. It's not even that far away and I have a Transit beavertail for transporting it up the road.

Would it not be worth it going to foads anyway just whilst you get it gone? At least it'll be safe and in good hands and not sat next to a fugging skip (well, an actual skip anyway). Then just get whoever has it to pick it up from foads

That sucks, sorry but I'd be making it fully clear all over the local facebook groups why it was removed from the garage and what hasn't been done...

Lovely cars these. So nice to drive.

I got asked to stop prodding the rust on one of these at the BCA in Enfield. The fucker was rusty all the way round from the bumper line down. 

Mind you,there were about 2 fist fulls of rust on the deck, that was only from a couple of prods.