Your Rover SD3 stories (mine has ended)

eddyramrod

This could be a nice little 'pick me up' after the problems you've had with the Rover.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707117266329?onesearchad=Used&sort=sponsored&model=940&advertising-location=at_cars&make=VOLVO&postcode=po88dz&radius=1500&page=1

Proper car, RWD, appropriately gearboxed, looks nice, MOT'd for a fair while, cheap...

I could even go get it for you!

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if he's on Twitter? Would be great to ger some sort of confirmation as to whether he fancies taking it on. Not sure what the Pet Shop Boys are up to these days, this might be right up his street....

One day i will learn how to weld a car, if left to my own devices i probably would.

• 5 weeks later...

I imagine he's got a metals yard

It actually went to an enthusiast from Galashiels, he has a Nissan Bluebird, Lexus ls400, k11 Micra, Accord and a few Civics.

36644983901_feb57f34a1_c.jpgDSC_0847 by srblythe, on Flickr

He had one of these Rovers a few years ago which was written off, he couldn't find any parts to fix it so ended up scrapping it so having this one was like getting a second chance.

He does like to modify his cars but I don't know what his plan is for this one, I thought it had a better chance going to him than the many banger boys who were hounding me for it.

• 2 months later...

WOW talk about Highs and Lows..

Mucho Kudos to FOAD for attempting this..and for Mr Ramrod for buying it....AND believing in it..

I am unable to weld, unless it involves Duct tape :D but even I could see it was a Forth Bridge type of situation

It actually went to an enthusiast from Galashiels, he has a Nissan Bluebird, Lexus ls400, k11 Micra, Accord and a few Civics.

36644983901_feb57f34a1_c.jpgDSC_0847 by srblythe, on Flickr

He had one of these Rovers a few years ago which was written off, he couldn't find any parts to fix it so ended up scrapping it so having this one was like getting a second chance.

He does like to modify his cars but I don't know what his plan is for this one, I thought it had a better chance going to him than the many banger boys who were hounding me for it.

Theres this luscious VP in a scrappy a few hundred miles south of you FOAD, It may be just as rotten, but hey, its got some leather & wood, surely you can make a good one out of the 2 (who knows, maybe it`ll provide some useful sections as well as dead cow & walnut)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24252872@N05/33932075704/

Theres this luscious VP in a scrappy a few hundred miles south of you FOAD, It may be just as rotten, but hey, its got some leather & wood, surely you can make a good one out of the 2 (who knows, maybe it`ll provide some useful sections as well as dead cow & walnut)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/33932075704/

The car is no longer in my possession so that won't be happening.

• 1 month later...

I'm new on here but joined because of this thread.  A real pity to see this project grind to a halt.  I own a 1985 Rover 216S (Hyacinth Bucket light metallic blue colour).  It's been garaged the last 18 years and when put away it was a runner with MOT still on it.  It was by far the rustiest car I've ever seen.  During the time I was driving it, both sills were replaced, both rear arches, large sections of all four floor pans, large areas of the bulkhead, smaller sections of the boot floor.  I replaced both offside doors.  The nearside doors have rotten skins.  I even had to patch up a 4 inch square hole in the roof where the aerial was.  It even had rust starting in the middle of the roof!  All the spot welded panel joins under the door seals (roof, A post and C post) were rusty.  The area around the boot lid seal rusted...  It rusted everywhere!  That said, even though it's like a patchwork blanket I still have hopes of driving it again one day.  It doesn't seem to have deteriorated much (from a bodywork perspective) since I put it away.

It will never be anywhere approaching a decent looking car as too much has been cut out and welded but as an extremely rare care with sentimental value I can't part with it and I live in hope that I'll get a chance to drive it again.  Perhaps when it's 40 and MOT & tax exempt I'll be able to plead my case with the wife! :-)

Anyway, I just hope that when that day comes I'm not faced with the situation you've come up against with your car.  I'm fairly handy with a MIG welder and am used to welding cars but when it comes to suspension mounts etc., it starts getting scary.  The worrying thing is that your car looked like a much better starting point than mine!  I'm now quite worried about what horrors may lie in store! :(  I'm actually shocked there are any of these still on the road!