Howdy, Cowboys! *New Pictures, see Page 8!*

Lukas

GM designed it and built it for a few years then sold it to Jeep before buying it back in the 70s after the first fuel crisis. IIRC, they were able to bolt the tooling to the floor of the original factory because they hadn't reconfigured it. Then Holden got hold of it for the VN Commodore as the Nissan sixes they used before got too expensive. Did the supercharged model make it to Europe? What a shame the Euroised rear lights look so unharmonius.

My 1996 had the 3800 V6 "Series II" under the hood.  :mrgreen:

Very quiet engine, no sound or other interesting things coming from this engine. The engine in my Pajero V6 is a lot more fun to drive. 

This car lives from it´s comfort, it´s cheesyness and from being different. 

dsc00354.jpg

dsc00356.jpg

There were two GM 3.8 litre 90° V6es.

A. The Buick  "Fireball", which was built 1961 - 2008 (and which we have here).
    This one was indeed developed in parallel with the 215 "Rover" V8, and it has basically the same layout, but it is dimensionally bigger, and made from cast iron, from the onset.

It was indeed sold to Kaiser Jeep in 1967, since GM had no demand for such a small engine at the time. When this demand arose in 1974 for obvious reasons, GM wanted to

buy the engines from Jeep, but ironically, buying back the tooling and producing it themselves turned out to be cheaper per unit, than what Jeep had quoted them.

The earlier examples have an odd firing order of 1-6-5-4-3-2 (firing at 90º-150º-90º-etc.), which was changed to an even firing order of 1-4-5-6-3-2 (every 120º)

configuration by splitting the rod journals to allow those rods to be offset from one another. That's why the later engines actually sound like six cylinders, whereas

the earlier engines sound more like V8s. Altogether around 25 million were built.

B. The Chevrolet 90° V6 family of engines, which started as a 200 CID (3.3 L) in 1977 to replace the "Stovebolt" straight six built since 1932. It is based on the Small Block Chevy.
    Its 3.8 L variant was introduced in 1980 and has 229 CID, unlike the Buick's 231 CID.

These V6es share the same 4.4-inch bore spacing and 9.025-inch deck height as the V8, thus many parts are interchangeable, including valvetrain components, bearings,

pistons, rods, lubrication and cooling system components, and external accessories. Up to this point, all 90° V6es had the odd 1-6-5-4-3-2 firing order.

However, this changed for its most successful variant, the 4.3 L. This one has a 4.00 inch bore and a 3.48 inch stroke, identical to the 350 CID Chevrolet V8.

To create a true even fire engine, a crankshaft with 30-degree offsets between each rod pin is used. Consequentially, rod journals were increased to a larger 2.25 inches.

The connecting rods used in the 4.3L are therefore specific to this engine, and proved so popular for use in hot rod and racing V8s, that 4.3 V6 chod is often engine raped

just for its connecting rods.
    When phased out in 2014, with its final use having been in Chevy/GMC vans and trucks, it marked the end of production for all engines derived from the 1955 SBC design.
    The 90° 4.3 L V6es used today are based on the LT1.

So my 3800 V6 "Series II" as it says in the engine bay is the later version from the first version? 

Wikipedia says:

1995 erhielt das Basismodell einen komplett neu konstruierten gusseisernen 3,8-l-V6 (Series II) mit 153 kW

but I´m not sure if that´s right. 

My 3800 sounds like a very refined V6, almost like a smooth Honda-4-cylinder. No sound or roar or anything.

The Pajero V6 I drive as a daily has the more interesting engine. Better sound, more vibrations, more noise,

more "Rooaar".

So the Pajero ( 3 litre, 140 hp) feels faster while driving it. Until you look at the speedo.  :mrgreen: The Park

Avenue (3.8 litre, 205 hp) does it a lot more refined, so it feels like nothing. But is quite fast enough.

It just feels slow. 

Yes the 3.8L engine in the Holden Commodore was always known locally as the "Buick V6".

I remember when Holden's own straight 6 reach end of life, and Holden was casting around for a replacement (they used a Nissan 3L straight 6 in the VN model), serious consideration was actually given to using the straight 6 from the Jaguar.  Exciting, but it came to nothing.

So my 3800 V6 "Series II" as it says in the engine bay is the later version from the first version? 

Wikipedia says:

but I´m not sure if that´s right.

Introduced after 1986, this engine is of course off my radar. It is indeed quite a different engine, though.

The stroke remained at 3.4 in (86 mm), and the bore at 3.8 in (97 mm), but the engine architecture was changed. The deck height is shorter, reducing weight and total engine package size. This required shortening the connecting rods 1 inch (25.4 mm), and the crankshaft was also redesigned. A new inlet manifold improves breathing and the cylinder heads were redesigned for bigger valves and higher compression. The result is 205 OMGBHP and 230 lb·ft (312 N·m), and allegedly better fuel economy. It's also a whopping 12 kg lighter.

Is all that knowledge in Junkmans brain or where can I find that on the interwebs?

With japanese cars and especially Pajeros and Subarus, I know where to get my

informations from. But I am completely knew to US-cars. 

I am hungry for informations about my car. But I can´t find a book or a "Park Ave-Owners Club"

or something. 

I guess I´ll have to found one. But I fear it be a lonesome foundation.  :?

The Junkman is a living encyclopaedia when it comes to cars! 

Would be nice if The Junkman  :mrgreen: would let me know this and that about my purchase like he did until now. 

Common faults, facts and trivia about this car.  8) I´ll reciprocate with pictures of small and obscure details of the car. 

Would be nice if The Junkman  :mrgreen: would let me know this and that about my purchase like he did until now. 

Common faults, facts and trivia about this car.  8) I´ll reciprocate with pictures of small and obscure details of the car.

What do I know about cars?

Like most American cars it is about as rugged as an anvil and thus has no "common" faults.

It started life as the Buick Essence concept car in 1989.

1989_Buick_Park_Avenue_Essence_01.jpg

The sweeping instrument panel housed a prototype Delco "Navicar" satnav, which presumably would delight Mr Conelrad:

1989_Buick_Park_Avenue_Essence_Interior_

This car later made the show circuit repainted white, in which form it still exists.

buick_park_avenue_essence_concept_2.jpg

Together with many other GM concept cars of the era, it made a cameo appearance in the 1993 film Demolition Man.

It was approved for production commencing the 1991 model year. The Park Avenue moniker was lifted from the (discontinued) Electra,

where it was used from 1975 to denote a special appearance package on top of the Electra 225.

The production models were built using the FWD GM C platform (not GMC platform, you ignorants), which had been around since 1985.

It also pioneers plastic front wings on GM mass produced cars, at least I claim this until proven wrong.

This first generation was built until 1996. Although there were very few tickable boxes on the options list, in its home market, there was an

'Ultra' version, which is supercharged. These are somewhat considered sleepers, since there are few external giveaways, but they can

outrun pretty much anything pulling up next to them at traffic lights in Las Vegas, including contemporary GMC Sonomas (guess how I know).

Although, some trigger happy racist barreling around in that motherless black and white Crown Vic of his soon put an end to such doings.

The base Park Avenues were officially exported to Europe from 1991 to 1996 and varied from the North American version by featuring

- truncated taillights with orange indicators and separate brake lights

- wider space for the numberplates

- fitment of rear fog lights

- headlights with asymmetric dipped beam lens pattern

- white front side lights

- orange front indicators

- side indicator repeaters

- foldaway external rearview mirrors (mirrors on US versions are fixed)

- stronger seat belts and anchors

- "softer" air bags

- metric speedometer and gauges

- speed rated tyres.

All this to comply with the dictates of the Brussels Soviet Politburo.

At least one Ultra was grey imported and registered in Belgium, but sold soon afterwards to part fund the 30th b'day gift to myself.