Honda HRV what do these bits do? High idle speed

Christine

This Honda HRV vetec you lot said would be great...since i've had it , its had no low down grunt ..utterly hate driving it . 4000pm and up to 7000 it goes like a rocket , so i assume its vetecing ok . I'm reading about Maf and map sensors needing a clean.. Come to a hill and i'm struggling , flooring it makes no difference you have to drop a gear or two and rev the bollocks off it , fuel consumption is heavy . What bits might need cleaning?
What have i got map or maf? Engine is D16 W5..
What are these bits ?

post-17940-0-11768100-1449328051_thumb.jpg

post-17940-0-81721800-1449328066_thumb.jpg

post-17940-0-52598600-1449328083_thumb.jpg

post-17940-0-21187500-1449328103_thumb.jpg

post-17940-0-42583900-1449328124_thumb.jpg

post-17940-0-94842900-1449328292_thumb.jpg

Honda sold thousands ..they couldn't possibly have sold that many when they're as gutless as this one?People just wouldn't have bought one . Even dragging a 4x4 system around can't make it this slow . My 1.9 68 bhp T4 (loaded  )could whip its arse in normal driving . ...  That feels lively in comparison !

I have to pull away with a look at the rev counter . 2000 min or it will die..it's dangerous pulling out on a main road !

My wifes mazda 3 is the same. Utterly gutless below 3500rpm to the point of being near dangerous, then goes like stink. For an engine with around 200bhp it is awful to drive. I understand the idea of vtec technology but don't think the compromise is worth it personally and wouldn't ever buy another.

Honda sold thousands ..they couldn't possibly have sold that many when they're as gutless as this one?People just wouldn't have bought one . Even dragging a 4x4 system around can't make it this slow . My 1.9 68 bhp T4 (loaded )could whip its arse in normal driving . ... That feels lively in comparison !

I have to pull away with a look at the rev counter . 2000 min or it will die..it's dangerous pulling out on a main road !

Swmbo's Fiat 500 1.2 pop would have mine for breakfast all the way to yoVETC.

They are that slow. But indestructible.

Honda petrols are thirsty and gutless. They are an acquired taste.

An ex work colleague bought a civic type R after having BMW diesels. He did'nt have it long, needs revving all the time and very thirsty. Got pissed off with it and bought another BMW.

Sounds like standard SOHC old Vtec behaviour to me, stop driving it like a pensioner normal petrol and rev the fuck out of it all the torques at the top end, change your driving style to suit the car or get rid of it and get something with low down grunt.

Honda petrols are thirsty and gutless. They are an acquired taste.

An ex work colleague bought a civic type R after having BMW diesels. He did'nt have it long, needs revving all the time and very thirsty. Got pissed off with it and bought another BMW.

Thats like me saying all Audi drivers are cnuts, when only 98% of them are.

Honda DOHC or fast i-VTECs are fucking rapid as are the V6s you just have to learn to get the best out of them when you press on, certainly I never had a problem making decent progress in my Civic Type S with a 2.0 pez or my V6 Accord.

They do like a drink though.

This is the Vtec solenoid as far as I know, they are always at the rear left of the cam cover

post-17940-0-42583900-1449328124.jpg

Could the rear diff fluid need changing, it can cause a bit of transmission winding if the fluid goes bad?

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-crv-rear-differential-flushing-kit-p-1204.html

No 2 looks like the MAF to me, it's certainly in a similar position on my throttle body, twosmoke will be the man who knows.

My collagues just about got used to a tank a week for 250 miles in his 2.0 pez crv, was a bit of a shocl after a 1.5dci empty van!

He said he drives it fast everywhere now, as it uses no more fuel than driving it gingerly. Says its gr9 fun surprising other road idiots though, it goes some when you plant your foot! He certainly lost me when we drove back to the office after collecting it, and I was hoofing it already!

Not all Vtec engines are set up to be top end screamers. The '54 Civic 1.6 for example: not particularly powerful, but much more flexible than you could expect from something 1.6 of the same power without valve timing tricks. Also very good on juice. Engine-wise, ours, now with one of the children, still just the same at 150,000 ish.

The HRV is a brick shaped heavy thing with not much power so is going to be a bit gentle and greedy. I think I would first find one for sale somewhere and have a test drive for comparison before trying to fix something that make not actually be broken.

It's the single cam VTEC thing, my mate had a Civic 1.5 VTEC that was shit-slow below 4k rpm or so but was redlined at 7 and a bit and chucked out 115 bhp, which for a late 1990s 1.5 was pretty good. 

The VTEC on these also only opens one inlet valve below the cut-in point to help with fuel economy, which is why we got 50 mpg out of it.  That he had a phobia about "abusing" engines meant that overtakes that should have been started in 2nd took place in 3rd and took such an age that for me it opened a complete different type of valve and gas/hydrocarbons/emissions escaped.  I got a bollocking on the A87 for revving it to 6.8k in second getting past a caravan, ffs, but it was the only safe way to do it...

I found some torque figures .. vetec is max at 4900    the non vetec max is at 3400 .. perhaps it is normal, just wrong engine for a small 4x4

Think of it less of a 4x4 and more of a Honda Logo on stilts, they were never meant to do anymore off roading than over a slightly moist grass verge to drop Tarquin off at ruggeron a sunday morning.

As m'coli said use the top end of the rev range a lot more, it will give you more grunt and probably the same MPGs