Mercedes 709D minibuses - CHOICE!

cms206

Seriously interested in one of these, had a similar Iveco a couple of years ago, straight out of service - problems are in storage, they are slugs on major roads, insurance, but generally if you like a slow, floaty ride, loads of room, and disparaging looks from the general populace (I assume this is nothing new for you chaps and chapesses on AS), then they are da bomb :-D

Everything needs heavyweight tools to work on shit as you might expect, cracking wheel nuts usually involves fucking big scaffold bars to extend one's puny socket bar, membership of a breakdown organisation is a must, as they are pretty hard to disguise when bad shit happens - my Iveco parted ways betwixt auto box and engine in the Kirkstall area of Leeds, leading to a most embarrassing episode on a busy junction going up a hill - thank God for bus layby's :shock:  And the AA, who had to sub contract a massive low loader to get me back to my yard!

I expect these are probably speed restricted like the Iveco, and 50 is your limit - a swap out to a better geared axle is the usual way forward, or just grow a thicker skin, and embrace the hostility coming from other road users :-P

I expect these are probably speed restricted like the Iveco, and 50 is your limit - a swap out to a better geared axle is the usual way forward, or just grow a thicker skin, and embrace the hostility coming from other road users :-P

I had an Iveco a few years back - it'd been converted to a camper van.  That had a 3-speed auto 'box, and ran out of revs at 63 - comfortable cruising speed was 45-50.  It was also dangerously slow off the line due to a combination of turbo lag and low torque converter stall speed.  Was actually quite nippy between 15 and 45 though. 

This thread should be illegal!

We have a few toys the biggest is a JCD3C MKIII fully working if a rather worn and scruffy. Trouble is I like the full sized Volvo coach a lot, so much so I want it but I don’t think I could take it on, on my own.

Is there any love for the Volvo coach, I would like to own a share with fellow shiters who maybe are more experienced with coaches. I would not know where to start to maintain or store it but understand there would be ongoing costs to keep it operational.

I would not mind if it was kept in Scotland.

I may or maynot learn to drive it but would want to be taken out in it.

Is this the right coach to be considering or is there a better one?

Are pre 1975 coaches tax free?

Is it realistic to own a coach for fun or am I dreaming?

The Volvo isn't perfect; the stretch panels have gone a bit Plaxton but the frame is pretty good. It still has it's original chunky legoblock tail lights and a snazzy embossed Plaxton castle in the brown corduroy trimmed dash. It's seats are a more modern fitment but are in decent nick. At the moment it's not charging but I can get it sorted (fan shaft is in bits). It was my daily for 12 months from October '14 and I can't lie, I am tremendously fond of it; I've been as far north as Inverness and as far south as south Wales with it and it's never let me down, but it's replacement (a '93K Volvo Van Hool) has now also been replaced by a 2008 Iveco so there is no chance we'll use it again.

Sadly I am also getting married in February and can't currently afford to take any of them on despite having the woman's permission... That and I'm currently planning on taking on one of the pair of 1992 Volvo-powered Leyland Tigers we've just bought too when they're retired in 2017.

I'll get more pics of them all tomorrow when I'm back in.

Should add; when I was doing my own preserved bus shenanigans a few years back I think I was paying about £220/year fully comp with free bus service cover (basically insured to carry a full load but not for hire or reward) plus about £85/year for breakdown cover. When they're not PSV'd they can be tested as class 5 and road tax for a full size coach on that scale works out at £230/year as it becomes a huge engined 50-odd seat car.

I know that doesn't help those trying to not justify it but thats what I was paying about three years ago. Storage was the killer normally.

If that Volvo were two and three quarter years older (and two and three quarter hundred miles closer...) I'd be getting seriously twitchy right now.  Despite having nowhere to put it.

I love the rear lights on that generation of Plaxton coach.  Mainly the fact that they're completely invisible from more than about three feet away.

This info may be out of date but IIRC from doing my PSV in the mid-90's, any bus over 30 years old is classed as historic and doesn't need a PSV (or PCV in todays lingo) licence as long as it's not used for H & R. It can also be taxed at car rates. I think this is a rolling 30 year date for buses whereas it's a hard date (1960-ish??) for old HGV's. 

Not sure about what class of MoT you'd need, presume it's be class 5 and suspect while there's not restiction on actual number of seats, I think there's a limit to numbers of passengers if you are on a car licence (8 passengers????). Also, as buses tend to be between 3.5 to 7.5T MAM, you're going to be OK on a pre-97 licence but not post-97 (3.5T limit). 

As Cavcraft said, I agree, I'd have thought the MB's would be a popular candidate for export to Africa. 

I'm pretty sure the >30yr loophole is still a thing.  Don't think MAM is an issue either as they don't count as goods vehicles.  (I'm pretty sure any full-size coach is going to weigh a fair bit more than 7.5T anyway.)  Yep, 8 passengers, and not for hire or reward.  If you wanted to (and could afford the diesel) you could buy a 1985 B10 to use as a daily runaround.  Insurance might be awkward though.

Should add; when I was doing my own preserved bus shenanigans a few years back I think I was paying about £220/year fully comp with free bus service cover (basically insured to carry a full load but not for hire or reward) plus about £85/year for breakdown cover. When they're not PSV'd they can be tested as class 5 and road tax for a full size coach on that scale works out at £230/year as it becomes a huge engined 50-odd seat car.

I know that doesn't help those trying to not justify it but thats what I was paying about three years ago. Storage was the killer normally.

Thanks it's all helping understand what I would be letting myself in for.

The more I read (above) about the Volvo, the more tempting it sounds. Storage shouldn't be a problem about 5 miles from here, but at what cost I don't know.

Rolling up to work in it would be a massive, massive laugh.

What's the situ on stuff like radiators and clutches etc, cheap and easy to get hold of?

Can check prices but all parts are available; clutches can be done in a couple of hours (think our old Polish mechanic had a full engine change down to about an hour and a half), radiators are a piece of piss. The front grille and bumper unbolt to give access to everything.