Mercedes 709D minibuses - CHOICE!

cms206

Morning chaps,

The company I work for was taken over in October and many vehicles were deemed surplus to requirements. Not a lot has been done about these surplus vehicles as not all were part of the takeover. Sadly space is now at a premium with new arrivals so they have to go. I think themoog ended up with the last bus I punted on here so we'll have another go.

I won't raffle buses but it might be worth a laugh at some point so we'll see what happens.

We have...

M649 FYS - 1995M (1.3.95) Mercedes 709D, 26 seats including the driver, 3972cc Mercedes 4-pot diesel engine, 5-speed manual 'box, all aluminium Alexander bodywork, 3 previous owners, test expires tomorrow (04.12.15) but can possibly retest. Revenue weight 6600kg.

N205 UHH - 1995N (1.11.95) Mercedes 709D, 26 seats including the driver, 3972cc Mercedes 4-pot diesel engine, 5-speed manual 'box, all aluminium Alexander bodywork, 5 previous owners, class six test expires 11.08.2016. Analogue tachograph fitted and in date. Revenue weight 6600kg.

What price could be put on these tremendous* vehicles?

Shiters price £600 each to clear. Pic of each attached, can do more pics if there is any interest. Vehicles are located in Barrhead, G78 1AA, about 30 seconds from Barrhead railway station.

For those REALLY brave I've got an '88 Volvo B10M 57-seater to shift as well but it may be a bit big for on here.

post-4240-0-04409400-1449143106_thumb.jpg

post-4240-0-59849100-1449143109_thumb.jpg

I hate to say this (as they should do someone a good turn) but I'd be surprised if these don't export for quite good money. These engines are ace, no racers but  incredibly tough. I think I used first gear on mine (recovery truck) maybe three times in 2 years, just to make sure it still worked if I ever needed it.

I think my insurance precludes the use of minbuses so I'm probably out, but get a raffle going and I'm well up for it.

Edit: PLEASE post pictures, details and price of Volvo too!

I hate to say this (as they should do someone a good turn) but I'd be surprised if these don't export for quite good money. These engines are ace, no racers but incredibly tough. I think I used first gear on mine (recovery truck) maybe three times in 2 years, just to make sure it still worked if I ever needed it.

I think my insurance precludes the use of minbuses so I'm probably out, but get a raffle going and I'm well up for it.

Edit: PLEASE post pictures, details and price of Volvo too!

Exporters have offered £1200 if we deliver them both to Liverpool, local breakers (and indeed the lads at Partons in Carlton) have advised us to try to sell them as they'd only be paying around £30/tonne which is a bit shit. The old man is happy to let them sit until scrap catches back up but I could do with the space in the yard, had somethint stupid like seven new coaches arrive since October.

Volvo is F307 RMH, '88F (10.09.88) Mk.2 B10M, 57-seats, 9600cc 6-pot turbodiesel, 6-speed manual, test til 23.02.16 from memory. Was in daily use until early September then spare bus until takeover. £1200 or so would take it but the old man is open to offers.2a202c0fe9d47958d512a9466d850ac1.jpg

Bloody hell, I hope he's patient if he's waiting for scrap money to go back up enough!

I reckon I could find storage locally if I were lucky* enough to buy or 'win' one but that's pie in the sky at the moment. £600 a throw is stupidly cheap, a proper no-brainer of a job.

Subject to time etc, assuming my licence covers it (I'm ok up to 7.5 tonnes, but unsure if I'd need a PCV?) I'd probably be up for driving one of these back to the North West somewhere for someone.

Bloody hell that is cheap! Again, insurance issues for me (and distance), but still tempting.

What are these like on diesel on a run? I imagine them to be similiar to a Dodge 50 (i.e. high 20s)?

MPG is on par with an S56, we were using them on a contract for a bit and they were averaging 25ish mpg depending on who was driving.

If this link
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1479041-lenght_weight_high_mercedes_benz_709d
is correct (weight 6,600kg)
and this link
http://www.drivesafe.org.uk/Minibus-Driver-Training/Pages/Minibus-Driving-Licence-Information-.aspx

is correct then anyone with a pre 97 license could take out some of the seats (do you have to update v5? probably) and drive it on their license.

I, with my license issued in 2012, am out of luck due to the weight.

Exporters have offered £1200 if we deliver them both to Liverpool, local breakers (and indeed the lads at Partons in Carlton) have advised us to try to sell them as they'd only be paying around £30/tonne which is a bit shit. The old man is happy to let them sit until scrap catches back up but I could do with the space in the yard, had somethint stupid like seven new coaches arrive since October.

Volvo is F307 RMH, '88F (10.09.88) Mk.2 B10M, 57-seats, 9600cc 6-pot turbodiesel, 6-speed manual, test til 23.02.16 from memory. Was in daily use until early September then spare bus until takeover. £1200 or so would take it but the old man is open to offers.2a202c0fe9d47958d512a9466d850ac1.jpg

Is it a Plaxton Paramount body? Loved these had a model one in Nat Hols colours. Want but cant drive it.

Flipping wars, check that Volvo out, it's class in a crystal glass.

What's the script with running them on a car licence, do you just have to add a wood burner then paint a rainbow down the side and complain about the B456788553214456778990875 being extended through 20.1 yards of a known breeding ground of the Greater Spotted Knob Warbler or something?

do you just have to add a wood burner then paint a rainbow down the side and complain about the B456788553214456778990875 being extended through 20.1 yards of a known breeding ground of the Greater Spotted Knob Warbler or something?

Yes. I've just checked and that's exactly what VOSA say.

Seriously tempted. For campervan conversion. How rusty are they/do they get?

Inner wings can go, bonnets, cab floors; all the rest is coachbuilt in ally or fibreglass. These have been inspected every four weeks by law so aren't too grim. The only Merc bodywork is the cab floor and bulkhead forward.

You've got PM. Either will do, but preference for dot matrix for LOLs - if the other one is actually a better machine I can be swayed but having MOT is important is it's a 400 mile drive home and I don't have commercial tester friends here (yet. I suspect the hearse will be "a challenge").

(Pre '97 licence plus also give no shits, I'll get PSV if I have to. Was tempted to offer my services as "an emergency professional driver" to the local funeral home now I've got some experience flinging a hearse about).

You and me both, Richard.  Every funeral director within reach has my CV in hard-copy.  No phone calls yet though...

Lankytim, on 03 Dec 2015 - 2:00 PM, said:

Do these old Mercs drive nice?

I found mine ok. Comfortable, nice engine noise (if you like diesel, obvs) but a bit slow on the uptake, as you'd expect. Ace amount of torque though, pretty good on fuel and can be persuaded to do 65+mph, if you have long enough. I think mine was happiest cruising at about 55060mph loaded or not, less on steep hills with an XJ40 on the back.