Best riding cars?

carlo

I've not driven a 75 but I was amazed at the value AnthonyG's provided when I saw it a couple of years ago, and I'm getting seriously tempted by Cowley-built CDT's appearing on eBay around the grand level.Omegas are not hugely comfy in my experience - I had a 3-litre Elite estate, very early in the production run (1994/M). Even though this had quite sensibly-sized wheels (15") and tyres (65-profile) I can't remember thinking it was all that comfortable. About the only thing the seats were memorable for were full electric adjustment and heating. Not tried a facelift (W-plate onwards) one though, I believe they changed the seats, although I don't like the Fisher Price dashboard they put in at the same time. My local Omega loving "friend" (i.e. one of those irritating types who rocks up on your driveway when you are working on the car, engages you in inane conversation and then you can't get rid of) recently acquired an 03 plate Elite 2.2DTI for something stupidly cheap like £1800, looks a canny buy for the money.

I agree ref Rover 75, I've got a V6 Tourer, and they're really comfy. I find that Kraut stuff usually has seats like a park bench. Jags best for ride quality, althogh the seats can be a bit sporty. Most comfy seats I've ever sat in were in a 505 gti.

Actually I think that would be the dream car, 505 GTi Auto with air con (not sure they actually made any with a/c.) The seats were superb, just like the 305 ones. I can see myself having a few test drives of various stuff shortly.

This is where Iwould disagree about 75s. I've owned both frog and deutsche vehicles and find them to be comfortable and at opposite ends of the spectrum - French all soft and German hard seating.The 75s I've driven have always given me a pain at the top of my shoulders, :evil: so much so that when they were on hire fleets I always made sure I did not get sent one of them. :roll:

Picked this up on Saturday for £850 with a new ticket.

Posted Image

1997 w140 S320 long wheel base.

This is my 4th w140 - first LWB one. It's mahoosive in the back!

It has to be the smoothest, quietest and most comfortable car I've ever had the pleasure to own. 300 mile drive back from Cardiff Sat afternoon was a thoroughly enjoyable breeze.

Will LPG it next weekend, and it then becomes an efficient classy barge for 5 year old Mondeo money!

I'd love to own that Mr Scrap! So cheap - is that average price now?

Not quite - this is a late limo one, (quite sought after with this engine apparently) so should be around £3-5k in good nick. It's a cat-d car - written off because someone stole the seats! I think I have a source of a good interior, so it seemed like a good bet.You may get a rough late one (up to '99) for this sort of money, or a reasonable early one (from '92). Trouble is the cheap ones are worth far more as parts, so you have to be quick before the scrappies buy them.

Ride quality is important to me too why is why i get irritated on viewing an otherwise nice car to find them waxing lyrical that they've lowered it.I hate lowering. Utterly spoils cars for me as it makes them ride like an old blackpool tram, yet LOADS of people pay a fortune to have it done.

I mostly dislike lowering too. A subtle drop can improve some the handling of some motors, like my Astra Sport for instance but this pointless ride it on the sills malarky really gets my Goat! My point of view has not made me many friends over on RR! :lol:

I crudely lowered out Datsun Cherry by lopping off two and a half coils on the front and one and a half on the rear after a supplier let me down with a set of proper lowered springs. Incredibly it rides just as good as it did stock only it handles much better so it's not always a negative thing. I've had lowered cars before that were pretty poor, in particular my Mk1 Jetta which was dropped about 5 inches. that didn't really have any suspension as such and was a really unpleasant ride on a long jourbney. I don't think I'd sacrifice comfort for looks in that way now. I must be getting old. :lol:

I'd sacrifice comfort for looks in that way now. I must be getting old. :lol:

Yeah, but I'm sure your days playing with hydraulics aren't over yet 8) Is it getting old that does it? Oh dear - the last Merc I bought was the first car where I actually raised the suspension. I still think it's too low. Crap, I must be getting old too... :roll: Have to say though that most shite dropped on appropriate wheels does improve the looks.

I'd sacrifice comfort for looks in that way now. I must be getting old. :lol:

Yeah, but I'm sure your days playing with hydraulics aren't over yet 8) Is it getting old that does it? Oh dear - the last Merc I bought was the first car where I actually raised the suspension. I still think it's too low. Crap, I must be getting old too... :roll: Have to say though that most shite dropped on appropriate wheels does improve the looks.
Quite possibly not but like with lowering I'd probably put more thought into the way I'd do it now. I've lowered my Datsun 1200 pickup a lot but actually built shorter front struts for it so it'll still ride normally and have full travel. I'm doing the same for my Violet. Riding on the bump stops just doesn't appeal any more!I definately agree that a drop usually benefits a car in the looks department.

Our sensible family car is a Volvo S80, while the ride is no Magic Carpet / Floating On Air etc, the seats are very comfortable, there's stacks of room and it's quiet even at 100mph so it's a relaxing place to be. The wheelbase is quite long and it's not meant to be a sports saloon so I'm impressed with the way it feels on the whole.2.4 litre petrol engine does around 30mpg and pre 2001 means road tax isn't £400. Build quality seems good too, ours has about 105,000 on it and we had no worries taking it to France for the weekend with the kids in the back.I'm sure it's lap times around the Nurburgring are well down on a 5 series BMW but you mistake me for someone who gives a shit :wink:

Early C5 would be a good way to go otherwise R25, Safrane or ?

I'm very pleased with my Safrane, but live in fear of the autobox and or Electrics. No problems yet though. I'd certainly consider replacing it with a manual one when 'the day' comes.

There was an early C5 2.0 Auto in saltash car auctions this morning but I have to admit it looked a grotty old thing. Big, but ugly in styling on the outside and in. Must confess to a sudden thing for Volvo S80s, look rather nice. And I don't think I'll be going back to the auction again soon; you buy a car there now for £200 and it costs you an extra £112 'service charge' and an extra £25 'V5 registration charge'. Was only £35 about a year ago.

I'm getting pretty excited about BMW 5 series from 1996 - keep reading road tests eulogising about the 528 and it's fabulous performance, economy and ride quality! Plus seems you can get a decent one for £2k.Anyone know anything to look out for on these beemers? It would be a petrol, and the 528 auto seems a particularly good compromise between power and economy. Presume parts are very dear but there must be cheaper sources? cheers!

I seem to recall the 523 being a better blend of power/economy when they were new (1998/99), on the odd occasion I drove them (bosses' cars). Ride quality is good but the seats are quite hard. Lovely noise from the straight six. Funny business can occur with some of the electrics, I think - mate of mine has a late (2001) 520 2.2 and that's had loads of ABS and traction faults. You can get cheaper parts from GSF etc, and I'm pretty sure it's not quite as complex as the current 5-series, which apparently needs two days of "computer resetting" (main dealer language, this) if you change the battery! I guess find the best-historied, low-ownered, low-mileage one you can - the last good-looking BMW IMHO.

Ride quality is important to me too why is why i get irritated on viewing an otherwise nice car to find them waxing lyrical that they've lowered it.I hate lowering. Utterly spoils cars for me as it makes them ride like an old blackpool tram, yet LOADS of people pay a fortune to have it done.

YES!Someone who agrees with me! I love the ride of my Amazon after the jarring low speed hisitronics of my C4, but dislike the degree it wallows in the bends. I've been told by loads of idiots to 'slam it on its arse'. On the Jeremy Beadle I'd lose the decent ride (although the standard springs and dampers are shagged, as it lists ever so slightly to one side) and probably the exhaust too, as the back box is routed very low.Hence why I want some -30mm prog springs and gas dampers. A small drop to firm the handling up and to improve the looks.An absorbant ride also helps when pressing on. I went on a run with NSJC across the Moors and despite having comfortably the slowest car there, I could keep up with a converted 1400 bread van over the faster bits because I could keep my boot in over the really undulating sections. The slammed Polo was bottoming out and skittering all over the place.I think massive 80 profile tyres help as well.In terms of pillowy barges, I would also like to recommend the Peugeot 605. I had a brief drive in my friend's example (with the 12 Valve Douvrin V6) and found it had a fantastic ride over rough roads, but piliant enough to be seriously quick over properly metalled stuff. Okay, so it wasn't as fast as the 24V (170 BHP versus 210), but it didn't hang around and had a qual truffle interior. The electrics were vastly better on the mid to late builds, just like the XM. I've also been told that the 24V had porous heads and various other compression problems.You could get a nice 'un for £1500-2000, a rough but working shitter for high three figures. My friend got his mechanically perfect one for £150, but that's because he's a jammy Scottish bastard and the paint looked like it had been polished with a snotty brillo pad.

YES!Someone who agrees with me! I love the ride of my Amazon after the jarring low speed hisitronics of my C4, but dislike the degree it wallows in the bends. I've been told by loads of idiots to 'slam it on its arse'. On the Jeremy Beadle I'd lose the decent ride (although the standard springs and dampers are shagged, as it lists ever so slightly to one side) and probably the exhaust too, as the back box is routed very low.Hence why I want some -30mm prog springs and gas dampers. A small drop to firm the handling up and to improve the looks.An absorbant ride also helps when pressing on. I went on a run with NSJC across the Moors and despite having comfortably the slowest car there, I could keep up with a converted 1400 bread van over the faster bits because I could keep my boot in over the really undulating sections. The slammed Polo was bottoming out and skittering all over the place.I think massive 80 profile tyres help as well.In terms of pillowy barges, I would also like to recommend the Peugeot 605. I had a brief drive in my friend's example (with the 12 Valve Douvrin V6) and found it had a fantastic ride over rough roads, but piliant enough to be seriously quick over properly metalled stuff. Okay, so it wasn't as fast as the 24V (170 BHP versus 210), but it didn't hang around and had a qual truffle interior. The electrics were vastly better on the mid to late builds, just like the XM. I've also been told that the 24V had porous heads and various other compression problems.You could get a nice 'un for £1500-2000, a rough but working shitter for high three figures. My friend got his mechanically perfect one for £150, but that's because he's a jammy Scottish bastard and the paint looked like it had been polished with a snotty brillo pad.
I agree with you re the lowering of anything with wheels. Slam it, paint it satin black and let the bonnet go rusty, rat look blah blah blah ad nauseum!Sheep, the lot of 'em! :)

mercs have the best ride but quite firm seats. Worst for me is volvo 240's (make me feel car sick...) Saabs have some of the best seats but my T16S rode firm to say the least - the old 99's were pretty good.Strangely I found Citroen AX's very comfortable for a tin box, smoothed out even quite large road imperfections!