Free Citroen ZX Turbo Diesel Aura – Cam belt broken

Six-cylinder

Free Citroen ZX Turbo Diesel Aura – Cam belt broken

Sad day I am going to admit defeat and offer my 1993 ZX Turbo diesel free to a good home. This was a great ZX and always my favourite, I have had it for over five years and my farther in-law has been using it in Wales.

Was MOTed until 26th April 2015 and not represented because the engine does not run. Only 100,000 miles.

Problem 1. It has snapped a cam belt, no big noises just stopped running.

Problem 2 It is near Brechfa, Carmarthenshire, Wales, with my in laws. This is 200 miles from me.

I have been there this weekend so the pictures are from today.

post-4787-0-32591100-1448835064_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-57197000-1448835135_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-00557200-1448835152_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-73441400-1448835186_thumb.jpg

Whoever gets this, I would get the front scuttle off and clear out all those leaves before the water doesn't drain, slops into the fan intake and you get spat on when putting the blowers on (Had this in my first ZX)!

Looks fit though, if it's broken for spares in the end could I offer a want for the rear wiper motor (or the person who I chatted to earlier in the year, I've forgotten who you were as we didn't do it via PM and I cant remember the thread we spoke on, was it dodgytom?)

Looks fit though, I can't imagine a cambelt being too hard on one of these (he says, having never done one and not needing to do one for another 30k as mine was done 8k before I bought it...)

Sometimes on these it just breaks the camshaft and the bearing caps, if you are lucky you can get away with a new belt kit and a few second hand parts to get it running again.

I -ahem- believe that @sporty-shite has a rather down at heel example of the breed in estate form that may prove a worthy donor once it's usefulness has been exhausted.

Am very tempted by this as I have all the bits to fix it and the space to keep it..

Yes it was me beko, I have ZX bits. Was waiting for you to pm me a list of what you wanted but you said there was no rush! The rear wiper motor was missing on the shell I weighed in but I have several boxes of bits of ZXs that have long gone!

Am very tempted by this as I have all the bits to fix it and the space to keep it..

Yes it was me beko, I have ZX bits. Was waiting for you to pm me a list of what you wanted but you said there was no rush! The rear wiper motor was missing on the shell I weighed in but I have several boxes of bits of ZXs that have long gone!

Well it is yours for the asking.

or if you don't want to own it can I pay you to repair it for me?

There is also a second ZX (1.9 Diesel Auto)which I guess is a spares car, I bought it for my mother in-law in 2009 and then my father in-law took it over until the auto gearbox gave up in 2013, then he took over my ZX TD. Again free if anybody wants to take it away for spares.

post-4787-0-84251000-1448916918_thumb.jpg

It's a couple of hours drive from me so not the end of the world and I am very tempted to say yes to the two but I ought to sleep on it...

I miss my early ZX, it just seemed better built than the later ones

I don't fancy fixing it for you sorry, I'm a bodywork person and get a friend to do my spannering. If you want to keep the car though surely someone on here would do that?

I completely forgot until earlier! Then didnt want to be rude by messaging the wrong person! Pm on the way! Sorry!

I'm mega tempted by this too, I've looked up where it is though and deem it nearly irrecoverable. 

Is there any rust or rot on it?

It's the 200 miles from me that has prevented me from at least having the cyl head lifted to see what damage and then I would have to source any parts. As much as I like the car, that seems a bit more cost than I wanted.

There were some repairs already done when I bought the car in 2010, I think there had been some repaired minor accident damage to the front. I don't think I had any welding done since I have owned it. I have not looked at it for a while.

It's the 200 miles from me that has prevented me from at least having the cyl head lifted to see what damage and then I would have to source any parts.

Don't even bother taking the cylinder head off, heres why:

XUD valves are in a straight line with the direction of travel of the piston meaning that the valves get hit square-on with the piston when the belt breaks. The force of the piston hitting the valve transfers the force straight up to the cam.

I have had this happen twice to me, valves are always fine and straight afterwards, the worst that happens is that the force is transferred up into the cam and smashes the cam into three (yes, you read THREE right!) and breaks the cam journals. Even breaking a belt at full speed and keeping the bottom end turning over after you have done it, the valves are always fine and seal okay. There is usually a round footprint on the top of the piston where it has hit the valve- though never any structural damage to the piston.

To fix it the most you will need is a new cam, three new cam journals, possibly 6 new studs (the ones that hold the journals down- as they tend to bend), and a cambelt. Possibly new oil too if it has been sat for a while in the rain, as when the cam and journals break they lift the rocker cover. (Rocker cover is bolted to the journals).

If only there was a picture of that engine without the interwarmer on I could immediately diagnose this problem- the cam cover should be slightly lifted and out of position!

the worst that happens is that the force is transferred up into the cam and smashes the cam into three (yes, you read THREE right!) and breaks the cam journals.

To fix it the most you will need is a new cam, three new cam journals, possibly 6 new studs (the ones that hold the journals down- as they tend to bend), and a cambelt. Possibly new oil too if it has been sat for a while in the rain, as when the cam and journals break they lift the rocker cover. (Rocker cover is bolted to the journals).

Best case scenario is no breakage, just a tooth jump. They'll tolerate that. Got another 30k out of one before it went properly, and even then only broke the middle cap and snapped the cam into two.

7996433604_1c48866153_z.jpg

2012-09-12_19.25.47.jpg by E Honda, on Flickr

16247055403_124e2b2a3f_z.jpg

IMG_20150313_112519_801 by E Honda, on Flickr

16244645414_7ecbc8c551_z.jpg

IMG_20150313_112513_447 by E Honda, on Flickr

16247054733_108958184c_z.jpg

IMG_20150313_112525_786 by E Honda, on Flickr

16679402658_ef732cc0da_z.jpg

IMG_20150313_112531_156 by E Honda, on Flickr

Techically the cam caps are line-bored to the head, but with care and bodgery, second-hand caps could be fettled to fit without pulling the head. The reason why I pulled the above hear is to do a stripped thread for the tensioner locking bolt. It ran without one for 30k which probably explains the initial tooth jump and FTP along with the 30k later FTP.

Exactly right:- if you look at the picture of the middle cam journal in the pics above you can see that there is a sizable crack between the two halves- I wouldn't be suprised if the studs holding it down are/were slightly bent too.

I have never had an problems fitting second hand journals, they always seem to slot stright in as long as they are cleaned and slightly oiled.

Thanks

I have a acquired a Xsara td with a Lucas pump.

Maybe I could just swap the lot into the ZX although it would be a shame not to swap the Bosch pump over too. I'm happy to swap engines myself I just don't enjoy messing about internally

I think I'm just talking myself into collecting both of these Zxs really......

There are differences between blocks, heads, cranks and connecting rods.

In terms of the Xsara engine, that will drop straight in but won't start unless you exchange the shut off solenoid as it is coded into the CHP unit (on a Xsara anyhow). A standard Lucas (now Delphi) shut off solenoid can be inserted and you won't need the bomb proof shielding.

Simpler than it sounds, honestly*